Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here one might pay $300 for a tetanus shot.. go figure at a non profit hospital..and that money goes some place..

Perhaps that is why government paid health care is difficult in the USA.

Yes it looks like the actual dose is about $65

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

who is "one"?
    where I live, the amount you pay, for any health care, is dependent on who you are, who insures you, what policy you have, and where you go.
    the exact same procedure can easily cost 3 different prices at 3 different clinics, and can vary from ten bucks to five hundred depending on your insurance.
    Usually, if you pay cash, without insurance, you pay top dollar.
    with a decent policy, the insurer negotiates enormous discounts.
    my deductible is high enough that I pay for virtually all of my "free" obamacare procedures, in addition to the $250 a month I pay for my "free" obamacare.
    that means I see every bill, and usually, it has a "retail" price- for, say, a tetanus shot- lets assume its your $300, Then my bill will show the price my insurance company (Kaiser, now, since they bought Group Health) has negotiated my cost down to.
    So I write a check for maybe 75 bucks, which is one of the many prices that this could cost.

my obamacare thru Kaiser is me paying a private company to reimburse private clinics and hospitals- which the right wing says is "government paid health care"

go figure.

3. Likes Bobw, JoeE., OldSquier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    I just don't get this continuous "government paid health care". Here part of our taxes goes to healthcare for all. The only thing our government does is to allocate the funding.

Denmark is divided into 5 healthcare regions. This is the region I’m in.

https://www.regionsyddanmark.dk/wm230811

This might also be interesting.

https://www.regionsyddanmark.dk/wm230808

If our healthcare system wasn’t good it wouldn’t be the fault of our government. Management of one of the five regions would be responsible. That’s another good thing as there are always statistics available to see which region is best and which is worst. Competition keeps them on their toes.

Bet this is mindboggling to many
    The Region of Southern Denmark is the largest workplace in the region, employing around 25,000 people. Measured in turnover, the Region of Southern Denmark is also a true heavyweight, with an annual budget of DKK 20.3 billion. This is larger than the budget for the Danish armed forces, and the figure is also greater than the turnover of the biggest industrial companies in Denmark.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here one might pay $300 for a tetanus shot.. go figure at a non profit hospital..and that money goes some place..

Yes it looks like the actual dose is about $65
    not according to UNICEF....the actual cost of a tetanus shot is like 29 cents....the rest is administration of the dose and profit.

http://www.who.int/choice/publicatio...munisation.pdf

I would like to get 65 bucks for 2 minutes worth prep, 29 cents worth of consumables one op. what is that like...$1941 an hour? Cost of the nurse $100/h bucks loaded pocket the rest?

dee
    ;-D

6. Likes Bobw, OldSquier liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If $300 is allocated for a simple shot.. that may be the problem.
    Interesting would be how much would such a shot cost in Denmark...Yes for the health care plan to pay not the individual.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting would be how much would such a shot cost in Denmark...Yes for the health care plan to pay not the individual.
    look at TABLE A3.2. dt

It ranges from 11 cents to 16 bucks depending on income level of the country. Even if it cost me 16 bucks +labor at shot, i would still like to have that business where i can get a 60 % profit every minute. The US healthcare industry is swimming in money, there is soooo much fat in the system, and that is why no one is willing to touch it, and now the fat cats in congress want to milk more out of us, this Cassidy Graham fiasco is just another tax bill of the worse kind. They should be concentrating on stabilizing the insurance market not on how to repeal the ACA taxes.

http://www.euro.who.int/__data/asset...price-data.pdf

dee
    ;-D

9. Likes Bobw, OldSquier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The old rule of thumb for manufactured goods is that they exited the manufacturer's shipping dock at around 50 cents on each $1 retail. The manufacturer aimed to be lean and made about 5-10% of profit (after R&D, design, manufacturing, QC, taxes, debt service, etc.) depending upon the level of competition. The extra 50 cents paid for distribution, sales, marketing, dealer and store inventory, and profit for all the middlemen along the way. That was enough to motivate the world's largest automotive, aerospace, industrial, consumer companies.

Pharma companies are, essentially, just another product development and manufacturing company. And while they often complain they need lots of extra money for the product development part, they actually spend more on marketing. Who knew the cure for cancer (etc.) needed so much marketing?? Remember when half the ads on TV were for cigarettes -- since prescription drugs were out of bounds? In any case, we can thank that "marketing" expense for such things as aggressive marketing of pain killers, opioid addiction, buying political favor (the no price bargaining bit, for example) and the US generally using far more drugs than other nations while being less fit and dying sooner. This isn't an indictment of drugs -- many are truly life savers -- but of the excesses we've allowed to creep into this sector of "manufacturing."

The problem with the US spending 2x the next big spender nation on health care, per capita, is that far more money is extracted along the way (some of it by folks compensated far more than any actual value they add). Instead of drugs costing something closer to 2x their total R&D and production costs, it is sometimes tens, hundreds, or even thousands of times more than it might otherwise be: http://www.rense.com/general54/preco.htm

Part of this is because there are also few incentives for pharma companies, insurerers, middlemen, and service providers to be efficient. Patients don't (and sometimes can't) act as comparison shoppers. This, in turn, attracts all sorts of scam artists to health care.

The plan being voted on (soon?) has Congress essentially abdicating any responsibility to recognize (much less fix) this problem. We're in a situation where the poor will be denied health care, the middle class is becoming poorer (for other reasons, but including the cost of health care), and health care costs may continue to rise until they essentially bankrupt the nation. Simply dumping the problem to the states (as urged by many pharma companies) -- most of which have even less resources to deal with the issues and even less bargaining power -- will hurt millions of citizens.

11. Likes dcsipo, Bobw, OldSquier liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suspect in the US going to ER when out of town after stepping on a rusty spike at kellyroadcamp ,Cheboygan Michigan..it is more than just the shot

X $ for turning on the light,X $ for the weight check, X$ for a soak in soapy water, X$ for asking a few questions, x $ for taking blood pressure, X$, X$ for switching off the light.

Still I would not trade the good old USA for another place..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Australia I sincerely doubt it'd be more than $75 including the doctor/nurse fee. In a lot of cases, it'd be covered by the general population Medicare insurance and cost nothing out of pocket expense (you'd have already pre-paid via your tax).

$300 is outrageous.

PDW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a good heath care plan and so don't think I paid much if anything...The hospital has to make up for some that can't or don't pay..Just saying more people working to pay in would be the first solution...Guess I could have gone to a quick care for perhaps $35 out of my pocket had I known where that was..likely my plan would have been charged another $50 to $100.
    Visiting a friend in a Lansing hospital a few weeks ago one Doctor said he had pulled a few 17 hour shifts...