What's new
What's new

Tata Steel amalgamating with ThyssenKrupp

boslab

Titanium
Seems Tata and ThyssenKrupp have decided to merge, only the steelmaking branch of Tata is involved, after working for Tata, previously corus and British steel before that, in fact as far back as the steel company of Wales.
I’d guess that this is the long game to circumvent tarrifs etc as uk will not be part of the eu, looks like.
I tried to persuade them to start building ships as there was no size constraint on the sheet and plate available on site, not interested, 12 months later bae systems got an order for a couple of billion from the Aussies, think Bhp will supply the steel for 10 ships being made down under.
Mark

I put this in the "Dogs bark, but the caravan moves on" category.

Trump spews garbage for his Fox News talking mirror to feed back to him, while US steel mills continue to be slowly bought up by companies that actually are global steel makers, and the global steel market becomes more modern and flexible as to country of origin to avoid his silly tariffs. Meanwhile, here in the USA, he is crowing because US Steel is bringing back on line a 100 year old furnace in Illinois.
Tata currently does not have a mill in the US, although they have a big iron ore mining operation in Canada.
Thysenn built a $5Billion dollar stainless mill in Alabama, then had problems with their brazilian partners, and ended up selling it at a loss to Calvert, and its operating now. Both, no doubt, would, long term, like to have a mill in the USA, to hedge their bets and be able to supply markets regardless of tariffs. Both BMW and Mercedes would prefer to buy German (Thyssen) steel for their US plants over US steel, because thats just how Germans are.

The only US plant I was involved with was Tuscaloosa steel ( tippins British steel O’Neil), don’t know if it’s still running
Mark

i took a tour of a steel mini mill about 30 years ago where the mayor of Auborn, NY went to Japan to get a Japanese steel company to setup a steel mini mill with tax breaks.
so about 100 employees and about only 2 from Japan rest were Americans. they ran mill depending on price fluctuations in steel prices USA and Japan and output was adjusted weekly
i saw them melting scrap steel and making 1/4 by 2 by 2" steel angle 20 foot long and making a pile 20 foot long and wide and high in one days production. they also made concrete reinforcing bar and tool steel like for wood chisels too.
the mini mill has changed ownership a few times already. most likely based on weekly, monthly price changes and tariffs, tax beaks, etc. nothing new its been that way a long time

i heard NY state aluminum manufacturer had deal with government if price of aluminum dropped too much they got tax breaks if price went back up to certain level the tax breaks stopped
this was to help company stay in business even if another country was dumping aluminum at below normal prices to force competitors into bankruptcy. .
reason for it is i believe there is only one aluminum manufacturer left in New York State. rest went out of business

So what color Turban did you get working for them....?
I didn’t get a turban but in defence of the company they really did try, I had no complaints myself,the owner was a very approachable polite guy, did loads for charity that wasn’t even publicised, like practically all the ambulances in India I was told, free.
Mark
(Mind seeing women in saris shovelling ore on a casting floor in India was a bit of a shock, but looking at it overall the women crane drivers in dynamo gorsk USSR were more of a man than I’ll ever be, you wouldn’t want to fight one!)
Mark

(Mind seeing women in saris shovelling ore on a casting floor in India was a bit of a shock, but looking at it overall the women crane drivers in dynamo gorsk USSR were more of a man than I’ll ever be, you wouldn’t want to fight one!)
Similar in China many years ago.

After Deng they figured out they could get much nicer jobs by flashing a little boob but yeah. When I hear the squealing in the US about equal rights, equal pay, broke the glass ceiling, all that crap I think back to the six girls draped over a filthy greasy gear machine, setting it up and actually having fun at the same time.

Truly egalitarian is cool.

btw, I've read that in the Soviet Union the guys carried the rape whistles :D