What's new
What's new

How did YOU start out out? Tell your origin story...

rusty old tools

Hot Rolled
Seeing a recently closed thread with a less specific title, I was inspired to inquire, what is your story? How did you get in to manufacturing? Start your own shop/business? What were your trials and tribulations? Why did you get in to machining/manufacturing to begin with?

Last edited:
I started in my garage like most people moved out of the garage when the electrical system couldnt handle the load . Rented a space then bought a building. Make your own product.

I started in my garage like most people moved out of the garage when the electrical system couldnt handle the load . Rented a space then bought a building. Make your own product.

I'd love to make my own product, but coming up with a product is easier said than done. Well for me it is anyway. In the meantime I'll keep job shopping.

It all started right out of high school for me. I was a Harley mechanic at the local dealer. One day I was playing in the machine shop ,and a customer I new real well came back there. He asked me if I liked machining. I said yes. It was fun to me. He says to me. Why don't you go get an apprenticeship and when I'm ready to retire you can take over my shop. He had a small job shop about 10 miles from me. I said ok sounds good to me. I found a shop to do my apprenticeship at and worked there for ten years until he was ready to retire. Now I've had my own shop for almost 5 years.

Back