Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    I am trying to figure out if this guy is serious.
    Entertainment seeker. Gordo's old audience.

I'll settle for doing the best job I can at pretending he doesn't even exist.

2. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    List of Mexicans by net worth - Wikipedia

And the peasants live in dirt floored huts in much of Mexico.
    Big problem all over Latin America. The people are incapable of ruling themselves. Their culture lacks a thousand years of English common law... instead they have a thousand years of the Catholic church preaching, "Obey your Don, things will be better in the afterlife." The Dons, of course, had no use for participatory government.Even the so called "George Washington of South America", Simon Bolivar, was quoted as saying the peasants weren't ready for democracy, "Maybe in a hundred years."

The end result is the drug lords are the modern day dons, and issues are settled via the ammo box rather than the ballot box. Sending aid money down there is just throwing money down the toilet. Let their rich spread some wealth around.

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Modelman View Post
    Big problem all over Latin America. The people are incapable of ruling themselves. ...

Let their rich spread some wealth around.
    You could say the same about the good ol' USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post

The real solution IMO is to point the spotlight back at Mexico and the wealthy elites who run it. They could do more for their own people but they chose not to.
    Ditto.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post

Nor do they much even notice the existence of those who have nought else.

Still very close to a medieval Feudal Society at the top, "revolutions" or no, growing "middle class", or no. Incredible gap between great wealth and poverty.

The "middle class" as is the great hope as an engine for change? Practically smothered between the sheer numbers of the less fortunate and the sheer money of the more affluent.

The mixed lot of them will have to change things themselves. Or not.
    hmm sounds like the future for the US...stay on this track and give it a few more years we will be right there.

dee
    ;-D

6. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Typical Liberal....want's to spend other peoples money......

8. Likes Dualkit, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Can I get a refund on any wall money?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    No wait that was Frump, he wants to build the wall in the US and Mexico pay for it....got it! he is a liberal then.

dee
    ;-D

11. Likes TheOldCar, JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pathogen View Post
    No need to build a wall if American businesses lose their property and business owners go to PRISON if they hire illegals. Too bad for the American businesses if they have forged documents, better make damn sure before hiring them.

2nd, ask for volunteers to man 50 caliber machine guns, post signs in English, anyone that keeps coming is fair game.

Any business that puts products on display in stores with the Mexican language showing, fine 'em $500 a package.

Any sanctuary city or state gets bombed by the US Air Force.

Make all drugs legal
    Damn! A hard-ass, aren't you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    I often wonder if we could find a way to help Mexico. The two country's unified together would be in a better position to compete against global competition. I don't have any first hand knowledge of Mexico, but the media pictures it as a country run by drug lords. If we worked with them and sent our military to destroy the drug lords compounds, would this be a possibility ?
    Corruption is very engrained in the police and some in the Army except with their Navy and marines they have oligarch money to buy their way it is why they are still there meanwhile the vast good Mexican citizens choose to make it to the United States.

Maybe we should merge with Mexico and destroy , annialate the cartels completely by martial law emergency measures. Training a Mexican liberating army equipping them supporting them and supplying them would be best. Under our flag and constitution we could have Mexico decided by States they wish. We can create peace and security.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guys? All these fool ideas?

They look a great deal MORE foolish and also IGNORANT if you would just heed the global ranking of Mexico, its population size and AGE, and its economic power.

As I said, almost the same economic GDP as the Russian Federation AKA Putinstan.

That ain't Panama. That ain't Grenada. That ain't Afghanistan, brethren. Not by a long shot. And we can't even get clean water to Flint, MI, jobs to Detroit, repair Puerto Rico's storm damage, nor prevent California from burning up then slithering away in mudslides?

WE may think Mexico is a mess? Yah. Probably a fair assessment. But THEY have to fix that. NO ONE ELSE can do.

We don't even have the spare coin to build a wall, let alone get arse-deep in trouble THEIR side of it. Bankrupt us outright in about three months, that would.

Here we been blaming Gordo for leading us into contemption?

And all along we didn't even need the least bit of help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why does the USA consume more drugs than other countries? It’s not cause we are genetically weak or more prone to drug addiction. It’s because we got the money and they want our money. If Mexicans had more money than us we’d be selling them the drugs.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Flail View Post
    Why does the USA consume more drugs than other countries? It’s not cause we are genetically weak or more prone to drug addiction. It’s because we got the money and they want our money. If Mexicans had more money than us we’d be selling them the drugs.
    Don't think so. Even when they DID have more money - early '70's right before the Peso was suddenly trash-devalued - those who shopped in the USA made wise purchases. Toted home gold. Diamond jewelry. High-grade hard-goods.

Nowadays? Why.. they have so many shortages, they are even short on stupidity!

They are not so stupid as to chase "recreational" drugs. Or any other kind.

Think it through. They have lived thousands of years right on top of the drugs - and not fallen into that trap to any significant degree.

That's a NORTH American thing. Entitlement attitude. No personal responsibility.

Entitled to f**k ourselves up and not expect to be blamed for it nor pay the price for it.

17. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They don't need to smuggle drugs across the border.

Already set up shop here to manufacture from base chemicals.

The poor hombres with their bums stuffed full waddling across the border are just a calculated distraction, so when we catch them it can make headlines and make us think we did a good job.

Low hanging fruit to stroke our egos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    I often wonder if we could find a way to help Mexico. The two country's unified together would be in a better position to compete against global competition. I don't have any first hand knowledge of Mexico, but the media pictures it as a country run by drug lords. If we worked with them and sent our military to destroy the drug lords compounds, would this be a possibility ?
    Do to them as you would want them to do to you works for me.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Do to them as you would want them to do to you works for me.
    Could it be that the current mess is a product of long years of having done exactly that?

As-in more on both sides of the border should have been more careful as to what it was they wished for?

21. Likes digger doug, Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dcsipo View Post
    hmm sounds like the future for the US...stay on this track and give it a few more years we will be right there.

dee
    ;-D
    Especially if we keep importing people with low skills and low expectations. We risk becoming Mexico if we keep importing the bottom segment of their society. They absolutely are contributing to the income inequality statistics, not only by their own modest earnings but also because their presence creates downward wage pressure on the most vulnerable segments of our population including many blacks and legal hispanics.

We have been very successful at importing poverty under the policies in place since 1965, which was a time when blacks were finally on the verge of gaining their civil rights.

23. Likes digger doug, Modelman, tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why do I think none of you guys have ever been to Mexico?

25. Likes Monarchist, CarbideBob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    Why do I think none of you guys have ever been to Mexico?
    No shit! Or outside their own front door. Several travels in Mexico. Rich folks. Poor folks. Average folks. Work related. Not "tourism". See a different country depending on where one sits, same damned day.

Hispanic neighbours here for long years now. Lots of 'em. More every year.

Work hard, do well, work more than one job, move up, work two BETTER jobs and/or start a business. Raise the kids up to push ahead, do better yet, repeat same plan each generation.

Working too DAMNED hard to take TIME to fly airplanes into buildings, drive trucks into crowds, blow up a mall, or shoot up a school. Ain't their style anyway, and never was. Reg'lar folks with strong family bonds, healthy kids.

Our local residents HATE drug-dealers for what they do to folks, spot 'em from a distance, find clever means to rat 'em out or drive 'em out.

Crime rate has been dropping, homes are better kept up, even the vehicles are cleaner, newer, less ratty. Mind - some have weird paint colours, but I can close one eye.

What's not to like about that? Bring 'em on!

They are more a part of the solution than they are a part of the problem.

And Oh.. by the by. These are "legal" immigrants, too. Have had lots of chats about the trials and travails and paperwork and "gotchas", can't go home just now, have to go back and file before...Mother got impatient and pissed away her chance... now she cannot...etc. of all that. Not all stuck with it and prevailed, but most have done.

27. Likes iwananew10K, TheOldCar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My rural county is about 20% Latino these days, mostly Mexican. I see a fair amount of businesses, started by immigrants, "legal" and "illegal", who employ others, pay taxes, and make my area a better place. We are an agricultural area, and many of the best new farmers are Mexicans around here. They contribute in every way to my community. Neighbors, employers, taxpayers.

But I also have lived in Mexico, and visited a fair amount of times.

Changes how you think about these things, if you have any actual, as opposed to theoretical ideological, experience.

29. Likes Monarchist, JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With all the satellites in space they can locate all the drug fields in Mexico. I like the smart-bomb approach used in Clear and Present Danger (boomb).