What's new
What's new

inhumane execution of chickens

toolmakerjim

Titanium
i was just reading where tyson foods, you know the chicken people, are being sued by PETA for inhumane killing of chickens and ripping the heads off live chickens and boiling them alive!
no i dont want to see anything suffer but give me a break. isnt there some mechanical means of death delivery that would spare these poor birds this treatment?
i knew a guy that worked in a chicken processing plant and from his description the inhumanity was from getting all the chicken**** sprayed on him as he loaded the birds into the decapitation machine.
at the very least it should be called inchickenfowlity right?
do chickens share anything with humanity except being a food source?
maybe they should devise a way to use these windmills on another thread to kill these birds.
any ideas on a efficent quick mechanical apparatus to peform the task at hand?
or do these PETA people have too much time on their hands?...jim

I don't see how they are boiling them alive if they rip off their heads first. Wouldn't they be dead if the head is ripped off? After all if you don't have a head you are not going to feel any pain, right? :D

I thought head removal or twisting was the standard way to kill chickens. What's the "humane" way? Wait for them to die of old age? :D

I hope we won't get where killing the chicken will cost more than raising the chicken.

I wonder if they're not bribed by a competitive food source to cause problems.

actually the way my buddy explained it to me was this.
you grab 2 chickens by their feet and place them into a yoke that holds them. then as they pass thru a conveyor the head fits into a slot and the head is pulled off. OUCH!
anyway its just a chicken. FOOD.
next we'll be forced to worry about the corn crop and the pain of having its ears ripped off!...jim

If you really want to know ALL the details and the part numbers for the machinery involved, I'll ask my Dad. For the last couple decades he has been an independent consultant/engineer to the food services industry. He's designed process lines for everything from Jalapeno Poppers to Friday's Stuffed Potato Skins, but his specialty is chicken processing. He's done projects or consulted on them for every major chicken processor in the US (Tyson, McDonalds, etc). From his descriptions, there's nothing pleasant about the way the chicken meets it's end, but hey, there's a lot of us carnivoires out here! He says that they try to whack it cleanly and then proceed with the mechanical deboning which can't be pleasant.

I read an article about a big poultry ranch in San Diego that had to destroy a very large amount of chickens a few years ago because of some bird infection. The PETA folks were up in arms when they found out that the farm owners were tossing the live birds into a chipper! The farm owners were exonerated when they provided an approval letter for the process from the local USDA office!

I figure that they fired up the chipper and popped teh first few in like shooting baskets, but then realized that they had 200,000 more baskets to shoot!

Just finished up some Tyson chicken breasts that the wife made with a new Hot wings sauce and some salad. Mmmmmm......

John

Chickens don't know they are being mistreated. Why are chickens getting all of the sympathy, we kill bigger stuff, cows, pigs, duck, sheep? All are tasty when properly prepared. None of these animals have plans, they know about food and sex as it comes along unlike we humans who have plans for food and sex tomorrow or next week. It is sadder when our plans are cut short.

PETA is a pain en the A** - IMHO of course.

When I was much younger, my Father used to buy live chickens for food, since this was in the late forties and they were cheap. They were dispatched by using an axe and a chopping block. What I remember is they would flap around the area for what seemed like twenty to thirty seconds and I don't mean just a little bit of movement. Apparently the brain on a chicken does not have a lot to do with the rest of the nervous system. They were deceased, but didn't seem to know it.

Just an unscientific observation from a six year old, of course.

I learned about chicken processing at an early age. It was shown to me in the old non-automated way.

A stump, an axe, and a boiling kettle.

It seemed humane, although not entirely unpleasant.

It would seem that a clean slice is better than pulling the heads off, but once it's done, it's done.

Once beheaded, they were held to bleed, and then dipped in the boil to loosen the feathers. Most of the feathers pulled out easily after that, and the few remaining were plucked.

The feet were then clipped off, and the guts removed. A thorough washing inside and out, and into the freezer.

I learned this at about age twelve. To be honest, I would rather clean fish.

"Apparently the brain on a chicken does not have a lot to do with the rest of the nervous system."

True.

Truer:
"The brain on a chicken does not have a lot to do."

Roger

We butchered a cow, pig, and chickens when I was growing up, I raised em too. Gives you a whole different perspective when you see it go from field to dinner plate.

Chickens are no different for us than krill are to a whale, they are food baby, food, get in my belly!

We just happen to be at the top of the food chain and the people at PETA have just had trouble growing a pair and accepting it, without guilt.

Let em wallow in their guilt, gimmie more chicken!

I wonder what the heads would be saying if they could suddenly speak english the moment the decapitation happens- 'hey, that pain in my a-- finally went away'-

Actually, I think the greatest inhumanity is what people do to other people.

I think the reason for the quick procession from the killing to the processing is because the longer you keep the chickens immune system working, the longer the meat stays fresh without expensive refrigeration. When I was young my parents would take my younger brother and me to visit an old farmer friend of theirs. When it was time for dinner my brother and I would get a lesson in old time food processing. The old farmer would grab one of the chickens wandering around the farm yard by the head and quickly and firmly swing it over his head in a circle until the head snapped off. The old saying "running around like a chicken with it's head cut off" is true. The chicken would run around for a few seconds (seemed like longer as a little kid watching it) then drop over and twitch for awhile. At least my brother and I learned where chicken came from, not like kids these days that think it comes from the supermarket (appears there by magic I guess).

Do you suppose peta will be happy if all the chickens are raised on a beach in Cabo San Lucas, trucked in airconditioned busses one chicken per seat, tenderly fondled and lethaly injected with pain killers? After they have succeeded in doubling or tripling the price of chicken do you think peta will take on the really mistreated fish and seafood creatures? How cruel is it to kill a fish by taking it out of the water? I don't think they flop around because they are happy. How about the billions of shrimp that give their all every year? Suffocated, crushed and boiled. Why do lobsters get the worst treatment of all, the most sympathy and the least lip service by peta? What about other living things like trees and grass for instance. Does a tree feel pain when you cut it down? If so is it any more or less than a chicken? If a tree feels pain then would other plants suffer as well? How about the pain that all those blades of grass suffer when they are unmercefally whacked by heinous mowers week after week. Trampled,defecated on, chemically forced to grow on the lowly and filthy ground. How can anyone sleep at night when grass blades are made to suffer so! Don't get me started on ants, rodents and humans.

Rick

I has the distinct opportunity to tour a chicken processing plant in North Carolina a few years ago and the method of processing the chickens was something like this:
1. Hang the chickens by their feet upside down, in a dark smelly room with black lights.
2. Run the chickens head through a high voltage water bath and electrocute the chicken, this does two things a) stuns the chicken for a humane killing b) streaches the neck out for the next operation.
3. A rotating blade (much like a meat slicer)cuts the chickens head off and splatters blood on those touring the facility, I sure am glad they let us borrow lab coats!
4. The blood is drained and collected in a large trough to be used in the cosmetics industry ie. lipstick
5. Into a de-featherer that steams the bird and tunbles it to remove the feathers producing a unbelieveable stench.
6. Then onto processing where a line of workers (mostly women) start carving the birds with a inspector (state? federal?) looking over about 10 people.
7. The feet and heads are sold overseas for who knows what - nothing goes to waste on a bird!

Thats how I remember it! I wonder if the PETA freaks stop to think that they are decorating themselves with chicken blood when they use lipstick?

As far as I know, Tyson is not actually being sued by PETA, though an "investigator" (i.e., a guy who got a job at a slaugtherhouse and brought a hidden video camera) documented the conditions at a Tyson slaughterhouse. The video is on PETA's website, www.peta.org and http://www.torturedbytyson.com/

I don't think this campaign by PETA is all that interesting, compared with some of their other ones which uncovered worse animal abuses. In my opinion, there is neither a pretty nor a kind method of slaughtering an animal.

One of the goals of PETA is to encourage vegetarianism, and I believe that most of its members are vegan.

The supposition that trees and blades of grass do not feel pain is based on the fact that, unlike animals, they do not have a central nervous system.

The feet are used for chicken broth. I guess they contain a lot of concentrated flavor and/or nutrients.

If you want an eye opener go to PETA's web an see what these nuts are all about ! They want no pets of any kind no service dogs no medical testing no fur no meat the list goes on and on. All animals to run free and do what ever they want. Give me a break !

Back