What's new
What's new

@^#%$ irwin

rb07565

Aluminum
I was watching TV last night (which I rarely do) and on came this bleeding heart, heroic, "respect the trade" celebration advertisement from Irwin Co. This company has the gall to try and celebrate the American tradesman after shuttering U.S. plants and moving the manufacture of their goods to China? I still don't buy their shit since 2008, I had freinds that lost jobs at the Dewitt plant.

Just Venting

Robbie

I was watching TV last night (which I rarely do) and on came this bleeding heart, heroic, "respect the trade" celebration advertisement from Irwin Co. This company has the gall to try and celebrate the American tradesman after shuttering U.S. plants and moving the manufacture of their goods to China? I still don't buy their shit since 2008, I had freinds that lost jobs at the Dewitt plant.

Just Venting

Robbie

Wait, what? Irwin is not made in usa anymore? Crap.... same company that makes Hanson taps and dies, right?

We bought 3 sets of small vise grips with the pads for sheet metal, a must have for a job we
are now finishing up. Pissed me off no small amount when I saw the Made In China on the
package. I thought they were a USA product.

Our screwdriver manufacturing customer will be closing up this fall, thanks to competion
from China again. Every time I see / hear this I wonder if we'll have any customers when I
get to retirement age.

While I agree with what you are saying about moving the production to China, I truly thought you were going to mention the picture of the man using the vise grips on the Bridgeport head about half way through the commercial.
Sam

The trick is to stay small enough to not attract the vultures, but big enough that you can survive. MADE IN AMERICA is still alive and well, but you have to look around.
In my case, my competition just kept making the product (coping and fret saws) cheaper and cheaper until they succeeded in making them worthless. When I have distributors in Germany (formerly the world's best mfgr and supplier of quality saws) tell me "Thank you for adding the Coping saw with the last order, it is definitely the best coping saw I ever had in my hand...." it says to me that we have nothing to fear except fear itself.
I started out in my garage, with a Lagun mill and a Mori copy (Cadillac) lathe. I now am running a Doosan 16x30 mill and a Ganesh single turret Swiss style lathe that thinks that it is a mill. At 78, I am as busy as I want to be with three employees and everything is MADE IN USA!

Lee (the saw guy)
Knew Concepts - Fine Metalsmithing Equipment Designed for Artisans - The Red Saw - Santa Cruz, CA

Too many American companies think their business is now marketing a broad range of silk purses made out out of Chinese sow's ears.

I might forgive the advertising BS and sourcing (some) stuff overseas if they hadn't also crappified just about every tool and brand they offer.

Maybe we'll see a renaissance of companies like Lee's; enough of them to fill a toolbox with high quality tools.

Just sitting down to watch the night race at Bristol......One of my favorites.

To my surprise, the Irwin folks are celebrating "National Tradesman day" with a bunch of carpenters and carpet layers out on the track to help with "Gentlemen start your engines".

I wonder how many "tradesmen" are proud of the job Irwin has done with their high quality chinese shit they peddle to unsuspecting morons around the world.

Irwin also closed factories in England. Record made engineers, mechanics and wood working vices etc for what seemed like forever. They are now owned by Irwin and made in china.

While I agree with what you are saying about moving the production to China, I truly thought you were going to mention the picture of the man using the vise grips on the Bridgeport head about half way through the commercial.
Sam

Just now saw the commercial as i pulled up this thread. and caught the vise grips on the bridgeport too. he'd be looking for new job if he'd done that in my shop..

I bought some ViseGrips (11Rs)a few days ago. They're identical to some I bought 10 years ago--I don't see what the big deal is. If they were made in the States they'd be worth twice as much and no one would buy them anyway...

I bought some ViseGrips (11Rs)a few days ago. They're identical to some I bought 10 years ago--I don't see what the big deal is. If they were made in the States they'd be worth twice as much and no one would buy them anyway...

I have to respectfully disagree here.....the threads are looser, as well as the rivets....they loosen up much quicker and become useless....the serrations in the jaws break and strip and when using them to weld, the jaws spread and don't touch anymore when closed.....none of my original pederson/american tool ones suffer from these ailments

Id be happy to pay 35 to 50 for a pair if real vise grips

I have to respectfully disagree here.....the threads are looser, as well as the rivets....they loosen up much quicker and become useless....the serrations in the jaws break and strip and when using them to weld, the jaws spread and don't touch anymore when closed.....none of my original pederson/american tool ones suffer from these ailments

Id be happy to pay 35 to 50 for a pair if real vise grips

He's Canadian......ignore him.

It's easier that way.

"He's Canadian......ignore him."

Smalltime, you continue to amaze me. I would have though that someone who can't wait to jump on anyone who is perceived to make negative comments about the US/Americans is so quick to do exactly what they condemn others for.

Dave

"He's Canadian......ignore him."

Smalltime, you continue to amaze me. I would have though that someone who can't wait to jump on anyone who is perceived to make negative comments about the US/Americans is so quick to do exactly what they condemn others for.

Dave

Well,
When he say's stupid shit like this:

I bought some ViseGrips (11Rs)a few days ago. They're identical to some I bought 10 years ago--I don't see what the big deal is.

I can't help but think the cold has gotten to him........or maybe it's too many Red Green episodes.

We have two #3 Record Marple vises at the corner of each of our fitting benches.
I am quite proud of them and clean and grease the threads once or twice a year.
I make sure they do not get abused, we have older larger ones for that.
They sit near our Colchester lathe and our Compair
Hydrovane compressor above. I like having high quality long lasting
equipment that was built by reputable firms that have a long history
of quality. These items were built in countries that have human rights
and environmental controls like ours do. Made in England.

I did notice some new ones of same color at the local tool
distributor we bought them from. I didn't even stop
to look at them, had a sick feeling about what happened :(

We have two #3 Record Marple vises at the corner of each of our fitting benches.
I am quite proud of them and clean and grease the threads once or twice a year.
I make sure they do not get abused, we have older larger ones for that.
They sit near our Colchester lathe and our Compair
Hydrovane compressor above. I like having high quality long lasting
equipment that was built by reputable firms that have a long history
of quality. These items were built in countries that have human rights
and environmental controls like ours do. Made in England.

I did notice some new ones of same color at the local tool
distributor we bought them from. I didn't even stop
to look at them, had a sick feeling about what happened :(

I think moore and wright (M&W) of sheffield england, who used to make allsorts of gauges, micrometers, veniers, etc has also gone to china. Is there no end to it ?

Back