What's new
What's new

Several sales to China this month, getting more frequent.

kpotter

Diamond
I have been selling tools to china for the past 4 years usually an order or two per year never for a whole lot of money usually under a couple grand. This year I have sold several large items to china and they were sent overnight fed ex. I got a call at two oclock in the morning last week and it was a call from Hong Kong the guy spoke good english and asked to buy one of my large presses the 100 ton model for coining or at least running samples. He paid with a credit card and it all went through so I took it to the Air freight and shipped it the next morning. They recieved it and said it was perfect for the job. I got another today for some other tools, kind of strange but maybe I am on some chinese forum or web discussion.

I dont think he is gonna be running much- once he moves his 100 tons or so of old iron into his new shop, I have a feeling he is going to be staying put for quite some time.

The chinese make a lot of stuff, but they also import enormous amounts of things, a lot from the USA. Of course, they import literally billions from Caterpillar and Deere, Boeing and Haas, Buick and Kenworth. But they also buy more and more smaller companies products- especially high quality, specialized stuff.

Next time I see Jim Garrett, I will ask him if he has sent any Nimba Anvils to China, but my bet is that he has.
There are a lot of things that you just cant find there.
And there are a lot of people there with a lot of money.

I have several friends who are sculptors who have sold sculptures to Chinese buyers for big bucks.

Basically "what Ries said" but also Hong Kong may be special - it has special history.

The other thing to think about is "are you Kpotter the world wide most efficient producer of this?" - meaning that when all is done, it will be cheaper to buy it from you than to copy it? If so, that is good.

I have been selling tools to china for the past 4 years usually an order or two per year never for a whole lot of money usually under a couple grand. This year I have sold several large items to china and they were sent overnight fed ex. I got a call at two oclock in the morning last week and it was a call from Hong Kong the guy spoke good english and asked to buy one of my large presses the 100 ton model for coining or at least running samples. He paid with a credit card and it all went through so I took it to the Air freight and shipped it the next morning. They recieved it and said it was perfect for the job. I got another today for some other tools, kind of strange but maybe I am on some chinese forum or web discussion.

First off, congratulations :) My (limited?) experience is that most Chinese will rather buy western products when they can afford it than domestic and the rapidly increasing number of Chinese with money aren't afraid to use it.

In a weird way it is perhaps comparable to the fact that women in general are willing to pay more and have more exclusive and expensive clothes than men ;)
Maybe women don't come from Venus but in fact all come originally from China? :D

Gordon

Back