What's new
What's new

Last pore today at ESCO

collector

Hot Rolled
Hi guys
It was the last pore at the foundry down the street from my shop after 62 years. I was able to see it and take some pictures. The foundry could pore a 100 tons a day and had 140 workers . But they have sent the work to China and sold the 30 acres of land it is on. My friends shop that did there machining will Finnish up the last casting and then close also with 25 guys out of work. I will follow the last casting to my friends shop and take some pictures of the machining. End of era. IMG_2597.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2596.jpg
    IMG_2596.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 314
Further south, the city of Portland, Oregon, has been encouraging ESCO to vacate their premises for years, as it "impedes redevelopment of the neighborhood". Meaning, they would make more tax revenue and the local developers would make huge profits if this industrial park were to become another generic patch of more offices and condos.

Last edited:
Further south, the city of Portland, Oregon, has been encouraging ESCO to vacate their premises for years, as it "impedes redevelopment of the neighborhood". Meaning, they would make more tax revenue and the local developers would make huge profits if this industrial park were to become another generic patch of more offices and condos.
ESCO is not far from my shop. The "redevelopment" is in full swing as the Pearl migrates into the NW Industrial area. In this past year there are no less than 5 new condo buildings put up or going up in a one block radius of me. Couldn't find a place to park even before, it's going to be impossible after.

City would like nothing more than if we just quietly went away. It's only a matter of time till I am forced out of business.

similar to papermills in that all the "small" one shut down as they cannot compete with bigger mills. hugh factories setup properly are more energy efficient and buy material is larger quantities and get discounts cause of it.
....i suspect governments in other countries support the larger world wide company partnerships more than in USA or Canada. i have heard of China company partnership with world wide corporation where Chinese government was 20% partner and instead of taxes they got 20% of companies profit so it is in interest of government to see that the partnership does well. cutting through red tape and regulations etc..
mega factories literally 10 to 100 times bigger and designed with the latest technology is hard to compete with.

ESCO is not far from my shop. The "redevelopment" is in full swing as the Pearl migrates into the NW Industrial area. In this past year there are no less than 5 new condo buildings put up or going up in a one block radius of me. Couldn't find a place to park even before, it's going to be impossible after.

City would like nothing more than if we just quietly went away. It's only a matter of time till I am forced out of business.

The Portland location was not too far from Helser Machine. My first job in a machine shop in 1978! Then again at Automated machining in the mid 80's.

i have heard of China company partnership with world wide corporation where Chinese government was 20% partner and instead of taxes they got 20% of companies profit so it is in interest of government to see that the partnership does well. cutting through red tape and regulations etc..
Dont believe what you read. Nothing "cuts through red tape" and nobody in government gives a shit how a company does. Five guys get big kickbacks, have a way to move their stolen money abroad, and get to buy a house in Alhambra. All that other stuff is whitewash.

Dont believe what you read. Nothing "cuts through red tape" and nobody in government gives a shit how a company does. Five guys get big kickbacks, have a way to move their stolen money abroad, and get to buy a house in Alhambra. All that other stuff is whitewash.
"Nobody in government [read, China] gives a shit how a company does?" Hmm...really? I think the poster was making the point that the with respect to the People's Republic, "government" and the "company" are one and the same thing. In that case, I'm pretty sure they really do "give a shit" how their company does.

Once again you rush to China's defense. China is often the biggest variable in the decline of American industry. That's just a fact. You can play the apologist for China if you like, but there are a heck of a lot of working guys, and communities, who have lost their livelihood because of Chinese SOB's. Another fact.

No sympathy for China here. None at all.

Squire

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Tahlequah OK

Squire,

China (Vietnam, India, other developing nations where they can pay workers squat/ignore pollution, workplace dangers, greed, shareholders demanding the largest return, short sighted business practices ...)* is often the biggest variable in the decline of American industry.

Expanded it just a little to be more accurate both currently and unfortunately for the future.

Dave

Back