What's new
What's new

Looking to hire someone to set-up a model shop for a large NY manufacturer

Hawkeye1757, A few questions to help you get who you want.

1) Are you looking to hire someone full time to run the shop, or just to contract to set it up?

2) In general, what type of produce/prototyping is needed? A predicted work load?

3) Do you have a budget? Or, do you needed one created for your model shop needs?

4) Have you selected equipment or already have some, or all, for your needs.

5) Is it to be a all manual or also have CNC?

5) Do you have an idea of how large of shop you need or is that part of you needs?

Planning a effective and successful model shop takes more time and a diverse number of skills than most people realize.

These are just a small number of... and sample of... the questions you need to answer. I've set up 3 shops in past years and it is very important to identify your needs and match them to the equipment you purchase, or already have available.

It is very common to hire someone, who may be an excellent machinist, but has very little if any experience setting up a shop or shop budget for that matter. This, unless your very lucky, can be costly and effect the success of that shop. Management tends to frown on spending a lot of money to set up a shop then find their 'return on investment' is not going to be effective because the equipment does not match the work needing to be accomplished, or their expectations are not being met because of poor planning.

When hiring a good machinist or group to run you model shop, is very important to have the diversification needed to make it successful. Sometimes, a short term contractor, with the missing skills, is needed to fill in the gaps and, at times, during the shop development.

Steve

Last edited:
Looking to hire someone to set-up a model shop for a large NY manufacturer

I'm guessing this is the first time you've tried this.

I strongly suggest you take the advice of scadvice. Your post is so vague you'll either get thousands of replies (and with a zillion questions) or none as nobody will think you're being serious.

How about posting again?

Back