Close
Login to Your Account
Page 212 of 221 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214 ... LastLast
Results 4,221 to 4,240 of 4414
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Hmmm looks as if the bill for tax cuts is going to be passed. Now with tax cuts and more money for the military who the hell is going to pay the difference? The rich will get richer but what then ........?

Good luck to y'all.
    perhaps great decline or collapse,China and Russia may do us in and may have already undermined us to those ends corrupting politicians and cyber thrift and the mayhem and the great expense to correct such covert attacks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post
    That is strange because the house I grew up in was purchased for 12k in the late 1960's and I know today it is not worth 120K. Perhaps 60K-65K.

Computers 20-25 years ago were $2,500-$3,500 yet today I can get one for $500-$1500
    Flat screen monitors or TVs are about 25% the cost there were 10-15 years ago.
    I can get a gallon of milk for under $1.00
    A dozen eggs for $1.25
    Ramen noodles I think are still around 20 cents.

I agree a lot of things have gone up there are a few things you can get cheaper today than you could get 10-20 years ago.
    totally depends on where you live.
    the house I grew up in sold to my parents, including the buildable vacant lot next door, for around 25 grand in about 1965. The house, along with the house built on the vacant lot next door, are each worth around 1.5 Million. Unfortunately, none of that filtered down to me...

A gallon of non-watery chemical free milk where I live is 4 bucks. White water is still well over 2 bucks.

A dozen eggs around here is about 4 bucks, can be as high as 7 for organic.

It is true that electronics have become cheaper- due to the fact that they all come from Vietnam and Bangladesh and China, and are made by teenagers who make almost nothing.
    If you were buying made in america TV's today, they would be at least a couple grand.

What about cars?
    in the early 70s, a brand new F100 was about 2500, for a straight six and a three on the tree.
    About 30 grand today, for the closest equivalent stripper F150.

My kids, in Seattle, pay over 800 each in rent to share apartments.
    Very little in their life is cheaper than 20 years ago, and the total package, if you include things like health insurance, gas, car insurance, clothing, food, rent, and utilities, is easily ten times what I paid at their age, and, adjusted for inflation, their wages are not any higher than what I made.

Priced a pair of made in Mexico real Levis jeans lately? 501s are sixty bucks. If you wear no-name Bangladeshi finest brand jeans, maybe, just maybe, they are only double what made in USA jeans used to cost.

3. Likes JoeE., Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    I just heard a report this morning that the Senate version DOUBLES the exemption for teachers buying school supplies. It remains to be seen what happens when the two bodies reconcile the bills but people should be wary of overreacting to sound bite reporting.

Also, IMO this whole matter of teachers having to make up for deficiencies in supplies is a DISGRACEFUL example of what many public schools have become. While special interests siphon much of the funding at the top teachers buy needed materials and students must go out "canning" for donations to support extra-curricular activities that once were fully funded. While the knee-jerk reaction of many of you will be to blame those "evil Republicans" the fact that this has been going on for years in my ULTRA BLUE state (Massachusetts) reveals on whose watch this really happened.
    Amen , it is a gisgrace. I think poor children in school should be fed. During WW2 many were disqualified from service for being extremely malnutricioned. In America! They created the wic program providing excess cheese and other things so they were not malnourished in future generations for them to volunteer for war to defend our country. They will be fit for service and strong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    If we're going to live in Fantasyland, then let's hope that both parties pull their heads out of their asses and find a few worthwhile candidates to run, so we aren't forced to to choose between a narcissist clown and a backstabbing whore.
    I might be wrong but I don't think I've used "we" about my own opinion in a post. OTOH it is common for royalty (as in fx "Monarch"ist) to use "we".

Some may be but "WE ARE NOT AMUSED".

Can you vote while living in China?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    perhaps great decline or collapse,China and Russia may do us in and may have already undermined us to those ends corrupting politicians and cyber thrift and the mayhem and the great expense to correct such covert attacks.
    It's not easy corrupting an honest politician. Not easy finding one either

7. Likes Spinit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Must admit I'm more in favour with Israel than with "Palestina" as they've never been anything but trouble and never seriously tried to compromise.

Not so sure though that what Trump has done will be good for the safety of the USA or citizens. He might have to add Palestinians to the "NOT ALLOWED IN" list.

9. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I might be wrong but I don't think I've used "we" about my own opinion in a post. OTOH it is common for royalty (as in fx "Monarch"ist) to use "we".

Some may be but "WE ARE NOT AMUSED".

Can you vote while living in China?
    US Expatriate Taxes - Voting Abroad | ExpatCPA

dee
    ;-D

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Boris Johnson, ex Lord Mayor of London and current UK Foreign Secretary renounced the US part of his dual UK/US citizenship last year due to tax demands from the IRS. He hasn't lived in the US since the age of 5, during which time he was in the US for three years...

I guess he would have been entitled to stand against the Orange Grand High Wizard if he'd kept the US citizenship.

12. Likes dcsipo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl
    ""I just heard a report this morning that the Senate version DOUBLES the exemption for teachers buying school supplies. It remains to be seen what happens when the two bodies reconcile the bills but people should be wary of overreacting to sound bite reporting.

My grand kids go to Seattle public schools in our neighborhood where the PTA very strongly "suggests" parents contribute $300/yr for each child they have in school. Typically in our formerly working class neighborhood houses like our $19K purchase in the 1970's go for $1M+ now so $300 is a bargain compared to what some of the city's more affluent areas are paying per child.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    ...My grand kids go to Seattle public schools in our neighborhood where the PTA very strongly "suggests" parents contribute $300/yr for each child they have in school.
    Who is the check made out to?

15. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Boris Johnson, ex Lord Mayor of London and current UK Foreign Secretary renounced the US part of his dual UK/US citizenship last year due to tax demands from the IRS. He hasn't lived in the US since the age of 5, during which time he was in the US for three years...

I guess he would have been entitled to stand against the Orange Grand High Wizard if he'd kept the US citizenship.
    WTF is a "Lord Mayor"? Is this another angle on the metric/Imperial debate we've been having for 10 years now? Do I, as an American citizen, bend the knee or merely bow to this esteemed (?) person? Do I need 2 sets of tools?

If your lordly dude is in arrears with the IRS, good luck to him. I wouldn't wish to sic that dag on anybody. Renouncing one's citizenship is serious business, I hope he won't be missed over here in the rebellious colonies.

We've only had the Orange Grand High Wizard for 11 months. Before that we had the IRS and tax plans of the previous Brown Grand High Wizard. Maybe you should direct your ire there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    What is "invested properly"?
    As in, invested in profit-producing enterprises. Obviously, if a wealthy person invests their money in a losing enterprise, it likely is not going to create jobs.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bucktruck View Post
    Term limits, like ignore lists, are for pussies.....
    You have a point. It would be better if we hunted them down and put a bullet in the back of their heads, like Bo Xilai

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr 98 View Post
    WTF is a "Lord Mayor"? Is this another angle on the metric/Imperial debate we've been having for 10 years now? Do I, as an American citizen, bend the knee or merely bow to this esteemed (?) person? Do I need 2 sets of tools?

If your lordly dude is in arrears with the IRS, good luck to him. I wouldn't wish to sic that dag on anybody. Renouncing one's citizenship is serious business, I hope he won't be missed over here in the rebellious colonies.

We've only had the Orange Grand High Wizard for 11 months. Before that we had the IRS and tax plans of the previous Brown Grand High Wizard. Maybe you should direct your ire there.

I screwed up! He wasn't the Lord Mayor, who is rather important in a ritual/precedence/lordly sort of way. He was just the Mayor of London, who is not important in the bowing and scraping stakes, just in charge of the finances and local regulations of the city and surrounding areas. Much the same as the New York Mayor. Cities are about the same size as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    Who is the check made out to?
    To the PTA I assume, if you're suggesting some sort of scam, there's no suggestion of that. The money is used to provide teaching materials, etc, and maybe a few paid teacher's aides where needed. Maybe even funding for field trips.

The concept is a little controversial since the city's lower income areas don't get the benefits of this extra funding because their parent base can't afford it. That, then, leads to unequal educational opportunities based on family income. There's always been unequal education though. When my kids were in middle school Seattle had bussing in an attempt to better racially integrate the schools (my kids couldn't go to their local school, that was a disaster since the very high income neighborhoods didn't have to participate because the school board was afraid of law suits from them).

An article in our local paper mentioning a school somewhere (not in Seattle) that raised a million bucks through their PTA. In that city the school board wants that money shared among all schools in the city.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr 98 View Post
    WTF is a "Lord Mayor"?
    WTF is a "President" when Trump touts that title?

22. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post

Bloody hell, what a choice - Boris Johnson or Donald Trump !

Regards Tyrone.

24. Likes dcsipo, Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Must admit I'm more in favour with Israel than with "Palestina" as they've never been anything but trouble and never seriously tried to compromise.

Not so sure though that what Trump has done will be good for the safety of the USA or citizens. He might have to add Palestinians to the "NOT ALLOWED IN" list.
    So let's see:

You're a 70+ year old man living in Denmark, AND

You're very pro-Israel and virulently anti-Palestinian
    You prefer YouTube to print articles, just like most millenials
    You state opinions typical of a staunch American Democrat
    You have a view of history more typical of someone who wasn't there
    You are fascinated with American politics as if you lived here
    You endlessly bash Christians, conservatives, Republicans, and populists
    You start numerous political threads about America

Nothing to see here, move on. Just a typical Septuagenarian expat Scot living in Denmark.

26. Likes Shawnrs, camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Bloody hell, what a choice - Boris Johnson or Donald Trump !

Regards Tyrone.
    and britain chose theresa may.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    To the PTA I assume, if you're suggesting some sort of scam, there's no suggestion of that. The money is used to provide teaching materials, etc, and maybe a few paid teacher's aides where needed. Maybe even funding for field trips.
    I'm not suggesting anything, but it does sound a little like a shakedown. Could add up to a lot of money- is it properly accounted for? People can see how it's spent?

Or in a couple years, the Times has an article about some PTA treasurer skimming from the fund.

Not an election goes by there isn't a school bond measure, they almost always pass. Then 2 years later, they are back again with their palms turned up...

29. Likes JoeE. liked this post