Make America great again - Page 253
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 253 of 277 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255263 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,060 of 5529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread seems to be about everthing except what was written in the OP so, rather than starting a new thread, I'll ask

"How are technical schools and colleges funded in the USA?"

I'll add an extra question

"How many machinists in the USA become machinists without ever having been in either a technical school or college?"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Me. I never went to tech school nor college. Retired after 30 plus years in the business.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    This thread seems to be about everthing except what was written in the OP so, rather than starting a new thread, I'll ask

"How are technical schools and colleges funded in the USA?"

I'll add an extra question

"How many machinists in the USA become machinists without ever having been in either a technical school or college?"

The students pay with cash, students loans, scholarships, or employer reimbursement/apprenticeship programs like I did.

Yes, and many. Some of the best guys I have worked with never attended school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Plane View Post
    Voter ID laws work great to show how bigoted leftists are.

We can't expect black people to have an ID.
    Do blacks even know how to get an ID?
    There are millions of blacks that would vote but they can't get an ID.
    Have you ever asked yourself why Republicans are doing everything in their power (both legally and illegally) to restrict voter rights?

I didn't think so, because the answer would be a bit too painful and revealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Funny how republicans are doing everything they can to keep them from voting.
    Perhaps you are right they are figuring out that voting against the thugs is empowering.
    Not only do Republicans fear an educated voter populace, they fear a diverse one as well.

5. Likes dcsipo, JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    the best man won.
    I'd have preferred Sanders. Sure, he's goofy about some things but at least he's rational.

Of course you'd have to change all of the thieves in Congress, e.g. pieces of shit like Bob Corker (and Nancy Pelosi and Keating McCain and and and .... ), to make a real difference but still ...

Quote Originally Posted by bucktruck View Post
    Have you ever asked yourself why Republicans are doing everything in their power (both legally and illegally) to restrict voter rights?
    Have you ever asked yourself why social justice warriors want every wetback who swam across the river last week to decide how the United States will be governed ? Or "refugees" from the bombing delivered by the upper class to such garden spots as Syria ? What the fuck is your fixation with "diversity" ? The US had plenty of "diversity" for the past three hundred years without nitwits mewling over it every three seconds. Obviously we don't need this crybaby crap to function and function well. If the whiners from gated communities would shut the fuck up and work on real problems like a disappearing middle class and disappearing opportunities, it'd be a Good Thing (tm).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Trump disbands his Voter Fraud Commission:

Trump signs order disbanding voter fraud commission - news+ - att.net

At least Republicans have never made any attempts to restrict voter's rights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    I'd have preferred Sanders. Sure, he's goofy about some things but at least he's rational.

I would have preferred Johnson, and he's goofier and not so much rational,but perfectly harmless.

And he would have drove Congress batshit crazy.

9. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    I would have preferred Johnson ...
    If we're gonna do druthers, I'm for Pat Paulsen

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not only do Republicans fear an educated voter populace, they fear a diverse one as well.
    Roy Moore's basic claim that there was voter fraud and he should have won: "black people voted."

Yep, Moore's too dumb and nasty to be a senator. Best man won!

12. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The GOP knows that demographics are against them. People that are less likely to vote conservative are pro-creating faster. It is just math. Even die hard conservative Texas will probably be in play for the Democrats at the Presidential and Senate level races by 2024. The reality is, they should have seen this coming 20 years ago, but they only recently seem to have figured it out.

Behind closed doors, they are in a panic. That is why so many of their actions border on the extreme. They really believe this is "life or death" for them. As such, given their self important view, they also think it is "life or death" for the country. They think that once they are out of power, we are going to turn into some sort of communist haven overnight. The scary part comes when you consider what they would have the US give up in order for them to remain a power.

I have never voted for anything but a Republican for President...but then again, the last time I checked a box for a candidate for president was 2000. Events of 2003-2008 cured me of that stupidity....

14. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like the repubs are cutting the orange clown loose. Bannon is laying the traps.

dee
    ;-D

16. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter7 View Post
    The GOP knows that demographics are against them. People that are less likely to vote conservative are pro-creating faster. It is just math. Even die hard conservative Texas will probably be in play for the Democrats at the Presidential and Senate level races by 2024. The reality is, they should have seen this coming 20 years ago, but they only recently seem to have figured it out.

Behind closed doors, they are in a panic. That is why so many of their actions border on the extreme. They really believe this is "life or death" for them. As such, given their self important view, they also think it is "life or death" for the country. They think that once they are out of power, we are going to turn into some sort of communist haven overnight. The scary part comes when you consider what they would have the US give up in order for them to remain a power.

I have never voted for anything but a Republican for President...but then again, the last time I checked a box for a candidate for president was 2000. Events of 2003-2008 cured me of that stupidity....
    Yep...demographics are against 25% or so rich white guyes defending their control.

18. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    what do you expect from a Keynesian? Usually Friedman hating is based in ignorance, can't say that for Paul of course, but he has an antiquated belief system. No one believes in Keynesian policies anymore unless they're promising a chicken in every pot. How many here have read Friedman or Greenspan or are you just wound up over pop media headlines?

Its a bit ironic for the masses to lay 2007 on Friedman when it was government support and intervention (Keynesian?) policies that created the problem; the implication that government will (and did) make it all ok no matter how much banks screwed up. That is the opposite of Friedman's free market capitalism, be fair. Friedman economics would have a company fail if they screwed up, as they should.

The conundrum was, ok, the promise of a bailout got us here, now that its happened what do we do? Probably a bailout was required, too much else was at stake. But the structuring and new laws to make sure "too big to fail" wouldn't happen again were the missing elements of the golden opportunity. Those that cause it should have lost their equity and the giant banks broken up with limits imposed on future size. Would have been relatively easy, get to a certain size (% of GDP) and you spin out part with an IPO....arguably it would help them build wealth....while meanwhile avoiding too big to fail
    Since you are a self declared expert on Milton Friedman, can you explain how your statement that "Friedman economics would have a company fail if they screwed up, as they should" reconciles with his actual writing? Friedman on Fed Actions after the 1929 crash, from Free To Choose:

The [Federal Reserve] System could have provided a far better solution by engaging in large-scale open market purchases of government bonds. That would have provided banks with additional cash to meet the demands of their depositors. That would have ended—or at least sharply reduced—the stream of bank failures and have prevented the public’s attempted conversion of deposits into currency from reducing the quantity of money. Unfortunately, the Fed’s actions were hesitant and small. In the main, it stood idly by and let the crisis take its course—a pattern of behavior that was to be repeated again and again during the next two years.
    This sounds an awful lot like...well...exactly what the FED did post 2008 to keep the system from collapsing. What is this "Friedman economics" you refer to, because it seems a bit different than what the man himself actually wrote. It seems odd that you would state people who criticize Freidman do it out of ignorance. What exactly are you displaying, if not ignorance? Have you even read the books you claim others have not. Seems you haven't. I can send you my copy of Free To Choose. I have no use for it, except perhaps to line a birdcage.

As for Friedman, he was a lightweight in his understanding of how credit cycles work. Considering that private sector credit cycles are the primary cause of instability in free market economies, I would consider this a pretty serious shortcoming for a revered economist. Whom would Milton have blamed for the 2008 bubble and crash? Probably nobody. Friedman never argued that markets are perfect, only that over the long run they're a lot more efficient than any other method of allocating resources. Sometimes, Milton recognized, bubbles just happen. Nonsense. Bubbles happen because stupid humans fail to recognize positive feedback loops they set up in the credit creation system. They get seduced by the good times of inflating credit, and are surprised over and over when they fail. It took someone smart enough, namely Hyman Minsky, to see this. Friedman was a clown in comparison. His theories are essentially dead now.

20. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dcsipo View Post
    Looks like the repubs are cutting the orange clown loose. Bannon is laying the traps.

dee
    ;-D
    The GOP will fall in line with Trump, not Bannon.

22. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well you can say what ever you want. He is still nothing but a shyster. Now he wants to deal the status of the illegals (dreamers) for funding for the wall. Whatever happened with his promise to get rid of all the illegals in short time and have Mexico pay for the wall? How can anybody defend this clown. Let's face it: This guy is not dealing with a full deck!!!

24. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Yep...demographics are against 25% or so rich white guyes defending their control.
    Oh good. Then we can be like Saudi Arabia and Syria and Chile and Libya and Rwanda and all the other garden spots on the planet. Can hardly wait until the underprivileged minorities take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter7 View Post
    S Bubbles happen because stupid humans fail to recognize positive feedback loops they set up in the credit creation system. They get seduced by the good times of inflating credit, and are surprised over and over when they fail.
    Do you think so ? I don't like banksters but I don't think they are stupid. I don't believe they are surprised when the bubbles burst. They just take their extra cash and go buy up everything they can for cheap cheap, so that when things get better again they are even better off. Depressions don't hurt wealthy people, except temporarily. Maybe not even temporarily. Did the Rockefellers ever go hungry ?

Quote Originally Posted by juergenwt View Post
    How can anybody defend this clown. Let's face it: This guy is not dealing with a full deck!!!
    Keep in mind that it is Congress that legislates, not the clown. You may thank your locally elected representatives for the clown-car laws.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    Oh good. Then we can be like Saudi Arabia and Syria and Chile and Libya and Rwanda and all the other garden spots on the planet. Can hardly wait until the underprivileged minorities take over. .
    Seriously, SeaMoss, you've chosen to make your life in China. That "we" was apparently decades ago -- and you decided for a life (one you never seem to talk much about) in China over the one you apparently can't stop living here. So, far you've told us in a hundred ways that every US politician that every lived was a whore, Trump one of the better ones, and every one of our towns, citizens, businesses, and liberties doomed. A new take on that every week. This is the "MAGA" thread, not the Chinese gravediggers convention.

In any case, China isn't much happy with it's expressions of either ethnic (say, Tibet) or religious diversity (say, Muslims). And also working furiously to undermine most Western nations through social media -- kind of like your every post here:

https://www.economist.com/news/brief...p-power-muting

You being paid to be part of that -- a sort of Chinese Social Security for ex Americans -- or just trying to impress your new friends, whoever they might be next to whatever Chinese home and home shop you might or might not have?

You're a smart guy -- how about some contemporary insight from the life you're actually living now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crazygoat View Post
    Me. I never went to tech school nor college. Retired after 30 plus years in the business.
    How did you learn the trade? I'm assuming not by trial and error.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Seriously, SeaMoss, you've chosen to make your life in China. That "we" was apparently decades ago -- and you decided for a life (one you never seem to talk much about) in China over the one you apparently can't stop living here.

In any case, China isn't much happy with it's expressions of either ethnic (say, Tibet) or religious diversity (say, Muslims). And also working furiously to undermine most Western nations through social media:

https://www.economist.com/news/brief...p-power-muting

Hard to know if you're officially part of that -- or just trying to impress your new friends, whoever they might be next to whatever Chinese home and home shop you might or might not have.
    I think it's a royal "we" combined with delusions of grandeur. OTOH it might be a combination of SeaMoss and Monarchist.

Bit like when Trump often refers to himself in the third person.

"We are not amused"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    How did you learn the trade? I'm assuming not by trial and error.
    I kinda of backed into it. After moving to South Carolina on a suggestion from my old high school buddy,he got me a job at the shop he worked at as a tool room guy. I gradually moved into a fill in when somebody was out sick. Very simple things to start with. Then the turret lathe guy quit and I was promoted(?) to his spot. Pretty much on the job training. After a year or so they needed a manual mill guy so I started to do mill work. (What I considered a "real" promotion!") Trained by my friend and the shop foreman. Two of the best machinist Iv'e ever worked with Only only NC mill back in those days. Mid to late 70's. A Moog tape drive. I ran it on occasion, but did not like production work. I been a manual Bridgeport man my whole life. Back then shops could afford to train a few people. Not so much in the current environment. Probably the last 6 years when I was in the hiring position, job shops like our small one ( 4 to 5 guys)had to look for experienced people. I would have like to returned the favor that was shown to me, just never got the opportunity. I would not trade my life in a small job shop for anything. I turned down opportunities to work for large corporations with 401k and retirement benefits because you are just an employee number to them. Where is number 1506, old whats his name? Not my cup of tea. When the shop I worked for finally had to close I walked out the door with nothing but 30 years of my life gone. No retirement plan, no gold watch, not even a gold peanut. I enjoyed every minute of it!

30. Likes Gordon B. Clarke, jfleisher liked this post