Close
Login to Your Account
Page 275 of 277 FirstFirst ... 175225265273274275276277 LastLast
Results 5,481 to 5,500 of 5530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Maybe "shitholes" is a good description. Certainly not places I'd want to live in.

12 of the Worst Places to Live in the U.S. - YouTube
    That was an interesting video Gordon, it had some cities I expected and others I did not. A quick study of the demographics in each city would probably reveal some trends.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    That was an interesting video Gordon, it had some cities I expected and others I did not. A quick study of the demographics in each city would probably reveal some trends.

A study of the political leadership of the 12 cities over the years would also be revealing. IIRC, Detroit hasn't had a Republican mayor since the early 1960's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr 98 View Post
    A study of the political leadership of the 12 cities over the years would also be revealing. IIRC, Detroit hasn't had a Republican mayor since the early 1960's.
    Wow so all that needs to be done is elect a Republican mayor?

Are all of the cities in this link Republican run? I don't know but I'm guessing the TX ones probably are.

Forbes Welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow so all that needs to be done is elect a Republican mayor?

Are all of the cities in this link Republican run? I don't know but I'm guessing the TX ones probably are.

Forbes Welcome
    Well electing all democrats sure wasn't the answer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr 98 View Post
    The political divide is (demographically) mostly rural vs. urban. You'll find more Democratic mayors in big cities. You'll also find more Republican mayors in small towns. Take a tour of poor towns and you'll find hundreds, maybe thousands, of "shitholes" -- just not ones with a million people all on one place.

Biggest problem among the poor in big cities is likely drugs -- used to be cocaine, heroin, no idea what it is now. Biggest problem in among the poor in small towns is also likely drugs -- used to be things like cooking meth, likely opioid addiction now. Black? White? Inner city gangs? Biker gangs? Drug addiction seems equal opportunity among the poor and unemployed -- and increasingly what's left of the middle class and rich kids.

6. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Without it becoming political are there any states that don't have a town or city that couldn't be considered a "shithole"?

Probably best answered by someone from the state they give as an answer.

Believe it or nor but I can't think of one here but maybe another Dane will correct me

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Without it becoming political are there any states that don't have a town or city that couldn't be considered a "shithole"?

Probably best answered by someone from the state they give as an answer.

Believe it or nor but I can't think of one here but maybe another Dane will correct me
    Not to my knowledge. Around here, a lot of it seems to be a result of brain drain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Then, now that I think about it a second, why should veterans need secure housing, nutritional meals basic physical health care etc etc ? These are a special class of people that "deserve" something more than anyone else "deserves" it ? Why shouldn't Down's babies "deserve" lifetime health care, personal empowerment, and substance abuse counseling ? They were born with two and a half strikes already, the poor things ! Or people with the last name starting with 'Z' ? I mean, they always got called on last in class which contributed to their low self-esteem and an undeserved lack of confidence, society has been cruel to them we must make it up ! And people with a fear of heights ! They can never go to the top of the Space Needle ! They will never see the grandeur of magnificent Seattle ! Counseling required ! Weekly visits by a shrink to overcome their unfair disadvantage !"

Ok, new plan. Anyone who's homeless, poor, drug addicted, disabled, elderly - we just fucking shoot them. They're losers and
    will never be productive members of society. So just shoot them. No tax money spent on them, no entitelement programs, no
    income redistribution, rich people money never used for anything other than given to other rich offspring.

Oh look. Jim's become a republican.

Oh yeah, anyone with an IQ under 100, also shot.

10. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Isn't shooting Trump's voter base against the law?

12. Likes JoeE., crazygoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    "Then, now that I think about it a second, why should veterans need secure housing, nutritional meals basic physical health care etc etc ? These are a special class of people that "deserve" something more than anyone else "deserves" it ? Why shouldn't Down's babies "deserve" lifetime health care, personal empowerment, and substance abuse counseling ? They were born with two and a half strikes already, the poor things ! Or people with the last name starting with 'Z' ? I mean, they always got called on last in class which contributed to their low self-esteem and an undeserved lack of confidence, society has been cruel to them we must make it up ! And people with a fear of heights ! They can never go to the top of the Space Needle ! They will never see the grandeur of magnificent Seattle ! Counseling required ! Weekly visits by a shrink to overcome their unfair disadvantage !"

Ok, new plan. Anyone who's homeless, poor, drug addicted, disabled, elderly - we just fucking shoot them. They're losers and
    will never be productive members of society. So just shoot them. No tax money spent on them, no entitelement programs, no
    income redistribution, rich people money never used for anything other than given to other rich offspring.

Oh look. Jim's become a republican.

Do you really believe what you wrote, or are you being dramatic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a television show called "Madam Secretary" on CBS on Sunday evenings.

I just got through watching it.

The plots of the shows, in recent months, have been uncannily similar to recent turns of events in the national political scene.

Tonight's episode dealt with a president who seemed to be acting just like the current occupant of the oval office has been acting for about the last few months.

He was acting completely unlike himself.. and his immediate underlings were concerned.

He (the president) was acting belligerent towards Russia and to show he was the most powerful man on earth, he directed the military to blow some Russian satellites out of their orbits to show them who was boss.

He got some resistance on that order, fired the man who wouldn't order the strike, and was planning on replacing him with someone who would.

His underlings took a vote and removed him from power and installed the VP in his absence... They told the pres. that he was acting erratic and they wanted him to be seen by a doctor, because something was wrong.

Turns out he had a brain tumor... and we had a good ending to that and he thanked them for thinking of the country and not letting their friendship with him cloud their judgement.

I was on Facebook discussing this with some local townfolk... and the trump loyalists said "that's nothing but anti-trump propaganda and I am disappointed with CBS"

The immortal phrase, uttered long ago by actor Strother Martin, in the movie "Cool Hand Luke" immediately came to mind: "There's some men you just cain't reach"

If you missed this episode, it would behoove you to find a way to view it. It's just what we're facing today... but ... there's some men you just can't reach"!!!"

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE. View Post
    The plots of the shows, in recent months, have been uncannily similar to recent turns of events ....
    Nah, you guys take things too seriously.

Insightful

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Most of them were in that thread that was deleted. You started that thread while Trump was still a candidate and many times used such terms to describe those who would support or vote for Trump. Nice to have a friendly moderator to cover your tracks.
    What can I say other than:

Fake News Remix - Donald Trump vs. The Mainstream Media - YouTube

Scottl you are FAKE NEWS. I remember that in that thread you accused me of posting things that the moderator admitted to doing himself and later he more than implied that you weren't too bright for not catching on.

Trump is the greatest, most popular, richest and smartest president ever.

You don't believe me? Ask him LMAO

Donald Trump Says Very Nice Things About Himself - YouTube

Have you ever heard any sane person say things like that about themselves?

17. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, it should list the Flat Earth Society in the top results along with historical pieces stating that this was once the predominant belief.

At one time it WAS "settled science" that the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the earth.

Why should "popularity" affect search results of what web crawling bots collect and index? What should be shown are the sites that best match the search term.

And as for that "popularity" nonsense, if Google is selecting what to show on the first few pages they are in fact influencing which links get clicked the most and creating that popularity they supposedly measure.
    Because that's how they wrote the algorithm idiot.
    That's how google works.
    Don't like it...write your own search engine.
    More or less it assumes the most popular sites are popular because they have the best data.
    That means that your opinion is not shared by most people...in spite of what your echo chamber tells you turnip is not a fit person for the job and the vast majority of people do not approve of what he's doing to the nation.

19. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of them were in that thread that was deleted. You started that thread while Trump was still a candidate and many times used such terms to describe those who would support or vote for Trump. Nice to have a friendly moderator to cover your tracks.
    Fake news has been coopted by turnip to mean anything he doesn't like.
    The original usage was to describe things like the Clinton pizza pedo ring.
    Things that were clearly made up disinformation, often coming out of Russia.

That's what fake news, disinformation.
    Not just things the resident doesn't want to hear about...or you to hear about.

21. Likes JoeE., bucktruck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Truth is not determined by popularity. Galileo and others who disputed what was popularly believed were persecuted but eventually proved right. It is not the business of Google or any other entity to determine and dictate what is "truth" by hiding or obscuring anything that doesn't agree. A truly aware population that fully understood how human bias affects all forms of media could read or watch nearly ANYTHING with the awareness that it might be right, wrong or somewhere in between could make judgements by comparing the different versions. This is what juries do every day and while they sometimes make mistakes they overall do an excellent job.

The lawsuits by former employees are revealing a lot about the culture at Google and the people who write those AlGoreRhythms. Computer algorithms are often varied in the results they produce and how they are written is very much colored by preconceived notions and biases.

You use the phrase "echo chamber" yet ignore how much of this corporate media has interlocking ownership. Here's what Bernie Sanders had to say about it in 2016.

Sanders Calls Out MSNBC's Corporate Ownership -- In Interview On MSNBC | HuffPost
    As I said, if you don't like how google works write your own engine.

And yes, the media is way too concentrated.
    Over the years deregulation has allowed the ownership of media to concentrate.
    These 6 Corporations Control 9% Of The Media In America - Business Insider

And it just got worse.
    U.S. regulator votes to loosen media ownership rules | Reuters

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post

Which makes the north the same as the south, where Syngman Rhee was installed by the US. At least Kim actively fought against the Japs both prior to and during WW II while Syngman (who had three drops of blood from a 16-generations-removed royal ancestor) spent 90% of his life living in the US. Reading the life of Syngman and comparing to the stuff they squeal about Kim is instructive, if you have an impartial mind. There's not a nickel's worth of difference between them.

Except that Kim didn't have to be smuggled out of the country on a CIA plane while the Korean population surrounded his castle with pitchforks and flaming torches. US-implanted dictators are so well-loved, ya know.
    I dont get the irony. Please explain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Want just one example of a "shithole" country?

How about much of southern Mexico since NAFTA?

"Mexican farmer's daughter: NAFTA destroyed us"

Mexican farmer's daughter: NAFTA destroyed us - Feb. 9, 217

"Mexico lost over 900,000 farming jobs in the first decade of NAFTA, according to data from the United States Department of Agriculture.

Mendoza says her small town of Santa Ana Zegache is now inhabited mostly by women and the elderly because working-age men went to the United States looking for jobs -- the vast majority crossing over illegally.

NAFTA opened the Mexican market to U.S. corn producers who were subsidized by the U.S. government.

That led to a boom in U.S. corn exports to Mexico -- and a bust in Mexican farming jobs like Benancio's. In the first decade of NAFTA, U.S. corn exports to Mexico quadrupled while Mexican corn prices fell 66%, according to Tufts University professor Tim A. Wise, a trade expert."

Think that doesn't qualify? NAFTA F***ed over large numbers of people in both countries and for the Mexicans the only answer was to sneak across the border in a desperate effort to earn money to send home. Think most of them wouldn't rather have stayed home with their families, friends and neighbors? Bringing entire villages here would only make things worse for both countries.

And what of northern Mexico? The ultra-violent cartels that feed the huge U.S. appetite for illegal drugs have turned much of that into a "shithole" for ordinary people also.

Part of Make America Great Again is to shine a spotlight on "shithole" countries and show not only how they got to be that way but also WHO benefits from keeping them that way. When people say "we" (the U.S.) did it they're only half right. "They" did it in our name but most of us not only didn't ask them to do it but are horrified when we find out. It's time we stop making their problems our problems by transferring entire chunks of their population into the U.S. and demand that they solve the issues that have made them "shitholes".
    I can certainly understand why you are so fond of Trump. You both have the same shitty mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can certainly understand why you are so fond of Trump. You both have the same shitty mind.
    I love the whole kick them in the gut and then tell them to straighten out the mess.
    Like stealing a mans shoes and telling to pull himself up by the boot straps.

The stupid part is that free trade is all about serving the corporations and a cornerstone of conservative economic policy. If we had listened to the unions we would not have lost those jobs, nor shit on Mexico with cheap Monsanto GMO corn.
    Sucks...the dirty hippies and unionists are right.

26. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes I do understand better about the consequences of what is the current state of things due to NAFTA the more I learn on the subject. I recall during my youth that for farm labor it required a very hard working employee and that is the case today as it was in the past, forget automation the fact is is that the workers needed for American Farmers who today seem to be large Corporate outfits not the indivigual owners as was the case over 50 years ago. I say if we need such a resource then we should step up to support this arrangement and make sure there are no problems with workers coming here to work with Pay, living conditions, their own benefits agreement with the United States and so on. I see it supporting such a arrangement and having high respect for the workers is the best way to go. Set up a zone away from the border and have different outfits there to provide free and safe transportation to and from their home and the United States a place where criminals are weeded out and assurances of commitment to the workers for safe transportation , housing, and solid agreed upon Pay. Without anyone to pick our crops it will just die off while we watch and that is a no go. It has been done before perhaps in much better times when the fact was no one had a big problem with Mexican citizens working here at all, it was a different day and time. There was not a huge drug cartel and drug war was a term that only in the near future we would learn. If I were a major corporation in Farming I would lobby for and secure a workforce for my business it just makes since. This way people who come. To work are basically good people and we do not have to worry that yet we do have concern out of due respect for our workers as they should not have to risk their lives to come here