Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

comparing trump to Nixon is like,
    comparing the 2 george bushs, george the first and george the idiot.

Nixon was bent but smart, trump well he is just bent but not smart

2. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    Well, there is a difference, even if you don't see it.
    I'm not the only one ...

Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, and Obama all got paid for speeches. Clinton charges the most of the living former presidents, but Reagan was paid $1,000,000 for one speech. (Given that it was 20 years go, he kind of puts Clinton to shame.)
    You made me go look

But of course you were (somewhat) right, Reagan ...

"But was it appropriate, critics asked, for a former President to cash in on his White House luster so blatantly? Of the four living ex-Presidents, Jimmy Carter seems to have done the least for financial gain, spending his time instead on church-, housing-and peace-related efforts. Richard Nixon has published seven books, but accepts no honoraria for public appearances. Gerald Ford has turned himself into a one-man industry, producing endorsements, speeches and public appearances and serving on corporate boards; last year alone he earned an estimated $1 million. All that, however, pales next to Reagan’s $2 million single score in Japan. Says Henry F. Graff, a Columbia University professor who specializes in the Presidency: “The founding fathers-Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison—would have been stunned that an occupant of the highest office in this land turned it into bucks.”

Eight Days in Japan Earn Ron and Nancy $2 Million—Now That's Reaganomics

and then ...

"In a bit more than two hours, Reagan has earned his private-sector speech price of $50,000 (no charge to charities or schools), less a commission of about 20% to his lecture agents, Washington Speakers Bureau Inc. ...

Where Richard M. Nixon and Jimmy Carter began their retirement years in defeat and bitterness, painfully climbing back to a measure of approbation, Reagan and his wife, Nancy, returned to private life amid widespread good will that has been dissipating in periodic accusations of greed and selfishness. First, there was his $2-million speaking tour in Japan, followed by harsh reaction to Nancy's memoirs and to her desertion of a San Fernando Valley drug-treatment project. Then there were reports that the Internal Revenue Service was looking into Nancy's habit of "borrowing" designer dresses for White House functions. And, just when things seemed to be settling down, the embarrassing Iran-Contra mess reappeared as lawyers for the former President battled to restrict his participation in the trial of his former national security adviser, retired Rear Adm. John M. Poindexter. Only recently have the Reagans taken steps to burnish images dented by the surprisingly rocky start to their ex-First Couplehood.

For the Great Communicator, whose standing plunged when he accepted the speaking honorarium from Japan's Fujisankei communications conglomerate last October, the main impression to be overcome is that he has been inappropriately cashing in on his eight-year presidency."

Reagan's Fall From Grace : The $2-Million Japan Tour, Nancy's Vengeful Memoirs and Legal Battles Over the Iran-Contra Affair Have Made His Retirement Anything but Restful - latimes

So at least I'm not the only one who thinks the whole thing is disgusting ... Just maybe the only one left

Still and all, we don't seem to be doing better as the years pass

But while we're here snivelling about Trump's "treason" and "treachery" ... better not look into Iran-Contra and Oliver North.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    I'm not the only one ...

You made me go look

But of course you were (somewhat) right, Reagan ...

"But was it appropriate, critics asked, for a former President to cash in on his White House luster so blatantly? Of the four living ex-Presidents, Jimmy Carter seems to have done the least for financial gain, spending his time instead on church-, housing-and peace-related efforts. Richard Nixon has published seven books, but accepts no honoraria for public appearances. Gerald Ford has turned himself into a one-man industry, producing endorsements, speeches and public appearances and serving on corporate boards; last year alone he earned an estimated $1 million. All that, however, pales next to Reagan’s $2 million single score in Japan. Says Henry F. Graff, a Columbia University professor who specializes in the Presidency: “The founding fathers-Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison—would have been stunned that an occupant of the highest office in this land turned it into bucks.”

Eight Days in Japan Earn Ron and Nancy $2 Million—Now That's Reaganomics

and then ...

"In a bit more than two hours, Reagan has earned his private-sector speech price of $50,000 (no charge to charities or schools), less a commission of about 20% to his lecture agents, Washington Speakers Bureau Inc. ...

Where Richard M. Nixon and Jimmy Carter began their retirement years in defeat and bitterness, painfully climbing back to a measure of approbation, Reagan and his wife, Nancy, returned to private life amid widespread good will that has been dissipating in periodic accusations of greed and selfishness. First, there was his $2-million speaking tour in Japan, followed by harsh reaction to Nancy's memoirs and to her desertion of a San Fernando Valley drug-treatment project. Then there were reports that the Internal Revenue Service was looking into Nancy's habit of "borrowing" designer dresses for White House functions. And, just when things seemed to be settling down, the embarrassing Iran-Contra mess reappeared as lawyers for the former President battled to restrict his participation in the trial of his former national security adviser, retired Rear Adm. John M. Poindexter. Only recently have the Reagans taken steps to burnish images dented by the surprisingly rocky start to their ex-First Couplehood.

For the Great Communicator, whose standing plunged when he accepted the speaking honorarium from Japan's Fujisankei communications conglomerate last October, the main impression to be overcome is that he has been inappropriately cashing in on his eight-year presidency."

Reagan's Fall From Grace : The $2-Million Japan Tour, Nancy's Vengeful Memoirs and Legal Battles Over the Iran-Contra Affair Have Made His Retirement Anything but Restful - latimes

So at least I'm not the only one who thinks the whole thing is disgusting ... Just maybe the only one left

Still and all, we don't seem to be doing better as the years pass

But while we're here snivelling about Trump's "treason" and "treachery" ... better not look into Iran-Contra and Oliver North.

In post #632 you implied Bill Clinton should be investigated for treason because he got paid to give speeches after he left office. Can we now conclude that you think all former presidents should be investigated, since they all were paid for speeches after they left office?

Iran-Contra was looked into -- I think the investigation (Tower Commission + followup Congressional Committee) lasted about 7 years.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In post #632 you implied Bill Clinton should be investigated for treason because he got paid to give speeches after he left office.
    No, because he got paid by the Russians ... and the meaning was, that's as ridiculous as 'Trump conspired with Putin to make a mockery of the US elections ...'

I mean, this entire thing is beyond stupid*. The most anyone has come up with is that some Rooskies hacked DNC emails and publicized them. Excuse me. Have there been any claims that said emails were not factual ? Looked at from a rational point of view, said Rooskies were helping Amurican democracy by revealing hidden truths. If the Dems had been on their game, they could have enlisted the commie red chineses to hack the trumpeters and also released negative embarrassing emails. But the DNC didn't feel they had to do anything, since it was Ms Clinton's turn !

Well, they did have to do one thing - suppress the actual choice of a majority of democrats. And they did that okay, if you're into rigged elections.

* If those worthless assholes had any sense of responsibilty towards the people of the US, they would skip this childish crap and set about fixing a few of the actual problems that the US has. But nooooo, the highly-educated elite are hell-bent on proving themselves even more mentally retarded and irresponsible than the lower-class blue-voting deplorable ruffians they despise.

Who does the Democratic Party represent these days, anyhow ? The boot-licking Outer Party toadies or the 1% kleptocrat banksters ? Cuz it sure as hell ain't any real people. Pretty weird that the Republicans have become the voice of the masses

Iran-Contra was looked into -- I think the investigation (Tower Commission + followup Congressional Committee) lasted about 7 years.
    Oh right, I forgot. He said he was sorry, and Ollie couldn't come out to play for two weeks. Billy gets a blow job and gets impeached, Ronnie defies the written instructions of congress, sells cocaine and automatic weapons to fund an illegal war and sets up a school in Georgia where they train people to torture nuns. Absolutely same-same. But they looked into it ! so everything is okay.

When are they actually going to hang one of these bastards ? We could start with John Yoo, he's readily available. Condoleeza, too. I think the rest of them returned to their coffins until night falls ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    trump well he is just bent but not smart
    I'm wondering if Trump will ever realize that to get anything done he need allies, both domestic and foreign. He seems hell bent on alienating everyone that doesn't think he can walk on water.

As far as for example North Korea goes the only country that can resolve the PROBLEM "peacefully" is China. Trump tantrums only escalate the situation. For North Korea to attack the USA is suicidal. For the USA to attack North Korea will result in the death of millions and start an avalanche.

What does worry me is that Trump might see an attack on north Korea as a solution to his domestic issues and problems. He'd be safe but millions wouldn't be. How much does he care about others?

7. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in SoCal View Post
    That is partly the reason we are faced with so many crisis, inexperience and, ineptitude along with bombastic drivel echos throughout the world. Would we be facing a smack down with ______________ insert country here, if somebody with ANY realistic statesmanship was in charge?

The idea that a populist reality TV personality who boast about himself constantly while deriding his own majority party is the best thing since sliced bread is just absurd. Perhaps tinhorn republics like the Philippines or North Korea need a visceral mad dog ruler to "seem" important, the United States is not a third or fourth rate power. Respect is earned not demanded, the world is acting in accordance with what they see playing out in our government. Being the President means being Presidential, tact and decorum at least, publicly speaking in measured tone.

This isn't a reality show or getting even with the powers that be, this is our lives and that of future generations, what happens matters.

Steve
    You can put Venezuela in that blank space now. I thought Trump had promised less interference in foreign affairs not more ?

Whatever happened to " Speak softly and carry a big stick " ?

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    You can put Venezuela in that blank space now. I thought Trump had promised less interference in foreign affairs not more ?

Whatever happened to " Speak softly and carry a big stick " ?

Regards Tyrone.
    I was just about to add that Trump is now threatening Venezuela with US military action. You beat me to it. How far will Trump go to create a diversion from his domestic troubles?

Maybe not making America "great again" but certainly creating a great big international f*ck up.

10. Likes Bobw, JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    As far as for example North Korea goes the only country that can resolve the PROBLEM "peacefully" is China.
    The problem is that after the example of Iraq, North Korea knows it needs nukes to protect itself. So they either take the word of the US (worthless) that this will not happen, they get Roosha or China to promise to blast the shit out of the US if the US attacks them (unlikely), or they keep what they've got.

They are in the difficult position of being the Designated Bad Guy. We have always been at war with Eastasia. A protection scheme with China would be second-best but that's not worth much either. In a rational world, they are making the best move.

Mostly they just want to be left alone but like the domino theory, the nail that sticks up must be hammered down. (Paul Wolfowitz)

I just hope if some dipshit loses it, they manage to get the very center of this city so I can go quick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mostly they just want to be left alone.
    If left alone and ignored how long would they last? In that situation the only people suffering are North Koreans. The more the military costs the less there is for food.

World Report 217: North Korea | Human Rights Watch

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Nothing supposed. The russians DID interfere, and they swung the election. Trump is a sad FAKE president.

Without Putin, he'd be long gone by now.

Trump colluded with the russians to destroy democracy. He's a traitor plain and simple. The man cares
    nothing except how it benefits him. He's a worse criminal than Nixon.

I knew this would come in handy sooner or later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 18953053_10213361738376427_2732378187548176354_n.jpg  

14. Likes Scottl, Modelman, Plouch16, bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably provoking but this is to me the big difference in "great" is how a national anthem is treated and sung.

217 Summit County Coalville derby national anthem - YouTube

Russian National Anthem - Children's Choir At The Mariinsky Theatre St. Petersburg - YouTube

For good measure I'll just add what my favourite national anthem sounds like.

Katherine Jenkins, Welsh National Anthem. - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem is that after the example of Iraq, North Korea knows it needs nukes to protect itself. So they either take the word of the US (worthless) that this will not happen, they get Roosha or China to promise to blast the shit out of the US if the US attacks them (unlikely), or they keep what they've got.

They are in the difficult position of being the Designated Bad Guy. We have always been at war with Eastasia. A protection scheme with China would be second-best but that's not worth much either. In a rational world, they are making the best move.

Mostly they just want to be left alone but like the domino theory, the nail that sticks up must be hammered down. (Paul Wolfowitz)

I just hope if some dipshit loses it, they manage to get the very center of this city so I can go quick.
    "7 countries in five years"

General Wesley Clark: Wars Were Planned - Seven Countries In Five Years - YouTube

And North Korea is number 8.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Better to have Trump than a untrustworthy Clinton:

Illegitimate half black son who was fathered by Billy-Bob. Old Billy-Bob refuses a DNA test.

Illegitimate daughter who's father was Hillary's ex-law partner. Notice the nose and lower lip. No wonder she is so sympathetic to his rape and pants dropping habits.

vlcsnap-2017-06-19-12h45m58s769.jpg

(no need to reply and submit a thanks for the education)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post

Illegitimate half black son who was fathered by Billy-Bob. Old Billy-Bob refuses a DNA test.

Illegitimate daughter who's father was Hillary's ex-law partner. Notice the nose and lower lip. No wonder she is so sympathetic to his rape and pants dropping habits.

vlcsnap-2017-06-19-12h45m58s769.jpg

(no need to reply and submit a thanks for the education)
    Even if true, so what? All that proves is, they got/caused a pregnancy with someone other than their spouse.

That applies to approx 15% of the female population, on the genetic data, so it's not like they'd be exceptional or anything.

Having illegitimate children has a long & honoured history if you're a member of the royalty so why should the ex-colonial rulers be any different?

Jefferson is reputed to have had a black mistress.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

trump is denying that Barron was actually sired by Obama. Afraid that it will come out in a leak.
    That's why his wife won't hold his hand. trump is just there to "mop up"

20. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Illegitimate half black son who was fathered by Billy-Bob. Old Billy-Bob refuses a DNA test.
    Illegitimate daughter who's father was Hillary's ex-law partner. Notice the nose and lower lip. No wonder she is so sympathetic to his rape and pants dropping habits."

OOOhhhh. Shiny stuff. Look over here at the shiny stuff and stop thinking about trump circling the drain slow but sure.

PAY ATTENTION I SAY you need to look OVER HERE at the interesting shiny sex stuff and keep your focus RIGHT OVER HERE NOW
    so you won't see that trump's dumber than a sack of hammers and a criminal to boot.

We now return you from your fox news segment for the night.

22. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice job condemning this Mr Frumpy, all the republicans condemned this strongly, Frumpy not so much....think who is supporting this, David Duke claiming that they elected Frumpy? KKK for Frumpy stickers anyone?...

dee
    ;-D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post

You're going to have to restrict yourself to one delusion. Part of the fantasy about Chelsea's "real" father is the following evidence:

"Supposedly, Bill had mentioned to [Larry] Nichols that he was sterile. When Nichols then asked about Chelsea, Bill allegedly replied, 'Oh, Webb (Hubbell) sired her.' Which is a very believable and casual way to explain the situation."

Difficult to have an illegitimate son when you're sterile...

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    Jefferson is reputed to have had a black mistress.
    It was one of the slaves. If you believe DNA testing, it's more than reputed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These recent posts are giving an extra meaning to the word "manufacturing" and "productive".

Dave Allen's thoughts about Adam and Eve - YouTube