What's new
What's new

Manufacturing Day

toolsteel

Titanium
Today (Oct.6th 2017) is the "official" day of manufacturing day. The company I work for host' an event. Wondering if anyone else is participating. I, along with many of you other old, grumpy bastards occasionally get on my soap box about various topics. Including the youth of today...people don't wanna work....people don't wanna get their hands dirty or sweaty....not enough decent applicants....etc.
Truth be told, I enjoy what I do for a living and like showing others. Hopefully it sparks interest in someone. We have about 100 people coming through today. Majority of them are juniors and seniors in high school.....some are college kids...engineers etc...We will give them a 45 minute or so tour...a little snack....a 5 minute speech smack em on the ass and send em home....
I made sure the High School guidance counselor at the high school near my home is aware of this event. It took me 3 years to finally get them to participate...I had the feeling they didn't want to present an alternative to college for those not inclined to go to college. But I persisted....I believe this is the 3rd year they have sent 30 or so students...

What are you DOING to change the things you bitch about?

Huh....I am a little surprised no one has responded to this. Granted, it is mid day. But I expected a little something. My thoughts on Manufacturing Day....

Many kids in High School have no idea of the different career paths that they might be interested in. If left to guidance counselors, media, part time parents etc.... the paths that do not include college will never be discussed as an option. If we (people in manufacturing) do not explain to young people the possibilities that exist within manufacturing AND ALL TRADES........no one else will.

Huh....I am a little surprised no one has responded to this. Granted, it is mid day. But I expected a little something. My thoughts on Manufacturing Day....

Many kids in High School have no idea of the different career paths that they might be interested in. If left to guidance counselors, media, part time parents etc.... the paths that do not include college will never be discussed as an option. If we (people in manufacturing) do not explain to young people the possibilities that exist within manufacturing AND ALL TRADES........no one else will.
Guidance counselors nowadays are worse than useless. I have teenage nieces and nephews. They tell me they have never had an interview with a guidance counselor.

I was kicked out of HS permanently, so I sure didn't get the benefit of any counseling. It was okay because I had to work, and didn't have time for school. I did ask our head counselor (when I was an underclass student) for information about union apprenticeships. He said I should forget about the idea because people "dislike" unions. This didn't square with what family members told me - they were all union guys - carpenters, operating engineers, painters & decorators union. I first worked first as a mechanic overseas in textile and plastics factories with some OJT. Then, as an apprentice in the operating engineers working with cranes for awhile. I liked the work, but the school counselors sure didn't help me. Finally, I got a chance as an apprentice to a gunsmith and made a career out if it.

There are loads of kids who don't want college. I was one of them. I went to college and graduate school anyway, but it was pretty much a waste of time. I wanted to work with my hands so I followed my heart. So glad I did.

We have an school here for Indian kids called "Indian Capital Tech". They are training our boys up for good jobs - some in manufacturing. They offer one course of study called "manufacturing technogy". Looks to be a great program.

I don't think the counselors are gonna get any better. They only want the college kids. We need more Vo-Tech schools and Community Colleges.

Squire

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Tahlequah OK

Wondering if anyone else is participating. I, along with many of you other old, grumpy bastards occasionally get on my soap box about various topics. Including the youth of today...people don't wanna work....people don't wanna get their hands dirty or sweaty....not enough decent applicants....etc.

What "the youth of today" is like in the USA I don't know but they aren't any worse here than they always were.
Probably the big difference between "then and now" is that machining most places here is neither hard work or dirty. There's also the little, but very important factor here, that being a machinist is both a well paid and respected job/profession. "Perks" (healthcare is "universal" as is vacation time) and doesn't vary from shop to shop so it's often only a case of finding a place you like.

Can't help but think who'd want to work in a coal mine unless there was no other job available.

Today (Oct.6th 2017) is the "official" day of manufacturing day. The company I work for host' an event. Wondering if anyone else is participating. I, along with many of you other old, grumpy bastards occasionally get on my soap box about various topics. Including the youth of today...people don't wanna work....people don't wanna get their hands dirty or sweaty....not enough decent applicants....etc.
Truth be told, I enjoy what I do for a living and like showing others. Hopefully it sparks interest in someone. We have about 100 people coming through today. Majority of them are juniors and seniors in high school.....some are college kids...engineers etc...We will give them a 45 minute or so tour...a little snack....a 5 minute speech smack em on the ass and send em home....
I made sure the High School guidance counselor at the high school near my home is aware of this event. It took me 3 years to finally get them to participate...I had the feeling they didn't want to present an alternative to college for those not inclined to go to college. But I persisted....I believe this is the 3rd year they have sent 30 or so students...

What are you DOING to change the things you bitch about?

My company hosted a huge event last year but this year, we are hosting a big State of Manufacturing event in early November instead. MAGNET: The Manufacturing Advocacy & Growth Network is putting on the event, and HGR is the event hose.

Back