What's new
What's new

Meet The Machinists at the New York Times

I have done work for printing companies, one was an IP plant just up the road from me.
You WILL stain skin and clothes.

Word of advice,never EVER wash your work clothes covered in old ink and crap from a printing press in your wife's washing machine.
Sure fire way to get your nuts cut when she does a load after and her blouse comes out with a nifty new blue pattern on it :(

The NYT is my favourite newspaper by far, when the mobile app was free I wasted an hour a day on it. Thankfully they put up a paywall.
NY Slimes?
you must like slanted news. They blow, IMHO.

That didn't take long. :rolleyes5:

I think it's damn impressive what they do. I haven't watched the video yet but I hope to see some more of the equipment they've got to work with (not ON that is).

I have washed my fair share of printing ink off printing press rollers. Always black in the newspaper

The veteran pressman I worked with taught me that hand lotion on your hands helped when it came time to wash your hands. Kept the ink from getting down in your pores.. the greasy lotion kinda repelled it.

All we had was some sort of solvent they bought from bulk oil dealer in town... that and lava soap was it.

You've read it in depth a lot and found they "blow," or they blow because Trump or his ilk said they blow?

On politics, they are horrendously biased and often horribly uninformed on certain issues (guns for example). It isn't so much their opinions as the sheer bias they show. There is a reason they got nicknamed Pravda on the Hudson.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the political Right media doesn't have its biased sources as well. But the NYT (although they and many of their self-assuming-ultra-intelligent readers would hate the comparison) is quite literally like the left-wing version of Glenn Bech when it comes to politics.

Used to subscribe to the NY Times when I lived on the East Coast. The Sunday edition arrived with a big thud - and a whole lot more to it than the editorial section.

The paper has won over a hundred Pulitzer prizes, for things like it's international reporting. You know, where you hire a reporter to go into dangerous places and actually report what's happening. Or where they spend thousands of hours trying to find some real story of corruption -- or excellence. Big difference between that and sitting behind a desk in a radio studio and blowing hard into the mic or sitting at a keyboard and making up stuff; whether left or right slanted.

Free press has always been a big part of our democracy (Ben Franklin, a printer); and crucial for example in the "robber baron" days. Just as crucial today. Not sure we should be so eager to dis' or dismiss it. As for the mechanics of printing presses -- pretty ingenious, if destined for the Smithsonian.

Used to subscribe to the NY Times when I lived on the East Coast. The Sunday edition arrived with a big thud - and a whole lot more to it than the editorial section.

The paper has won over a hundred Pulitzer prizes, for things like it's international reporting. You know, where you hire a reporter to go into dangerous places and actually report what's happening. Or where they spend thousands of hours trying to find some real story of corruption -- or excellence. Big difference between that and sitting behind a desk in a radio studio and blowing hard into the mic or sitting at a keyboard and making up stuff; whether left or right slanted.

Free press has always been a big part of our democracy (Ben Franklin, a printer); and crucial for example in the "robber baron" days. Just as crucial today. Not sure we should be so eager to dis' or dismiss it. As for the mechanics of printing presses -- pretty ingenious, if destined for the Smithsonian.

The mechanics of printing presses, now that is an interesting subject to read about in terms of history of technology :) Regarding "dissing" the NYT, the press should very much be criticized if they are not adhering to decent standards of journalism.

The paper has won over a hundred Pulitzer prizes, for things like it's international reporting.

That's like referencing Obama getting a Nobel peace prize after 8 months in office (for doing absolutely nothing). Just another commie committee chatting in their elitist echo chamber.

That's like referencing Obama getting a Nobel peace prize after 8 months in office (for doing absolutely nothing). Just another commie committee chatting in their elitist echo chamber.

The NY Times has been around since 1851, the Pulitzer prize (I think) from just after WWI.

People who are admittedly illiterate beyond 140 characters ;) have no business criticizing newspapers, because they can neither read nor write them. They're like me saying Eric Clapton plays lousy guitar.

Perhaps you could explain what these standards might be?

Keeping one's bias out of their hard news reporting and actually knowing what one is talking on about on certain subjects. For example, if you read the NYT's articles on gun control, the plain ignorance can be astounding. I mean I have no problem if one wants to support gun control, but for Heaven's sake, at least do some research into the subject before writing articles calling for it.

I would be interested to know what NYT articles specifically (other than op-ed pieces) are being cited as objectively ignorant on the subject of gun control. Typically, the articles of reportage in any newspaper are supposed to be reasonably well-researched in terms of factual content. In my reading of the Times since 1976, I have found them to be worthy of the designation "newspaper of record" in their presentations of subject matter.

As to the OP's original intent of post, the machinists' story is very interesting.

Back