What's new
What's new

The New Titanic.

jCandlish

Titanium
A Chinese resort hotel has begun laying the hull for a 1:1 copy of the Steamliner Titanic.

3428.jpg

Apparently to also replicate the powerplant.

CyUNHz5UcAAZrTF.jpg:large

CyZNqSfUsAAo2N4.jpg

NewTitanic (@new_titanic) | Twitter

Don't just go by the picture of the worksite. I did at first, thinking it would be a hotel.
Nope.
I looked it up, this is a real deal copy of the Titanic.

Oh really?? I assumed it would be a hotel modeled after the titanic (From mention of the Chinese resort)

Well let me restate that, lets hope this one doesn't sink too....

I'm trying to figure out how to word the irony that the first Titanic lasted about as long as we would expect from a Chinese model... speculation on this one? :popcorn:
Their maiden voyage is a different route though. AND with more lifeboats!
Hey, at least they can learn from someone else's mistakes.:fight:

I'm trying to figure out how to word the irony that the first Titanic lasted about as long as we would expect from a Chinese model... speculation on this one? :popcorn:

WHY????? Lets just build a brand new obsolete ship. Maybe they can replicate the sinking on each cruse, kill a mess of passengers, refloat it and repeat. The ultimate reality cruse / show.

Lets hope they don't replace the flares with fireworks again.....

Now I'm curious.

How 1:1 is this going to be?

Riveted hull? Hand fired coal boiler? No computer control at all? Crampted below decks 2nd and 3rd class accommodations? Did all the rooms on the real one have indoor plumbing? What about central air and heating? And I can go on.

Other than being really cool to experience the ocean voyage from 100 years ago. I don't really see the majority or people who go on crises wanting to go on this. Going to be a bit of a change from the huge ugly floating hotel/restraunt/mall things modern cruse ships are.

I think sailing a reciprocating steam powered ship across an ocean using early 1900's technology would be fun, but I'd be curios how many people would want to do this as a "cruse" in the modern sense.

Is it engineered with the identical defective deck structure that led to the sinking of the real ship? As in, "let's not learn the lessons that history offers us"?

From the Guardian ==> China launches replica Titanic project, with Peter Mandelson in tow | Politics | The Guardian

The Chinese replica of the Titanic will be put on show far from any icebergs, at Sichuan’s Romandisea resort on the banks of the Qijiang river.

The China Daily, a state-run English language newspaper, said the vessel would be permanently moored there and was designed to “boost development of the local tourism sector”.

Su Shaojun, one of the project’s main investors, said the New Titanic would feature replicas of the liner’s banquet hall and first-class guesthouse.

“Many blueprint fragments found their way into the hands of collectors or remained missing. We spent many years collecting the blueprints from many parts of the world and managed to obtain most of them,” he was quoted as saying.

Guests and visitors will also enjoy modernity amenities such as Wi-Fi and a spa.

Curtis Schnell, a veteran Hollywood production designer who has been hired to work on the project, told Reuters the project was being handled in a “very respectful way”, rejecting criticism that it was exploiting the disaster.

I believe the real failure element in the original vessel was the steel used for the hull, not the actual hull design. Were you to build that original hull with the correct modern steels, it would perform quite well and would probably survive the same iceberg accident just fine today. Maybe.

I thought the problem was that the water tight bulkheads were open on the top and when the ship got low enough in the water they all flooded like an ice cube tray.

I thought the problem was that the water tight bulkheads were open on the top and when the ship got low enough in the water they all flooded like an ice cube tray.

wasn't aware of that? if that's true it's pretty sad since it also precludes containment of atmosphere per chamber which would otherwise be providing buoyancy and fighting the intake of water. even without a great seal.

Yup.

6 of the forward "water tight" compartments were flooded, she was designed to float with a a max of 4 ruptured compartments.

But they did use a steel for the hull that was much more brittle and less impact resistant than what is used today.

Both were contributing factors. The brittle steel allowed the hull to be compromised in more compartments than might have happened otherwise, and the number of flooded compartments settled the bow lower than the design max, and allowed the water to overflow each watertight bulkhead in turn.

Dennis

Back