OT: Climate change - Page 38
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 38 of 63 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 1246
  1. #741
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,740
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2520
    Likes (Received)
    2740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Oppressive policing.

    Inequitable education systems.

    Regardless of the notional reason, those tystems are racist in result.
    I think you have it backwards. No one wants "oppressive policing", a loaded term. However in a crime ridden area there should be extensive, intensive and no tolerance policing. You can't let the good citizens succeed and rise without controlling crime.

    Going into crime ridden neighborhood like this makes sense and is not racist. What is racist is suggesting its been done because of skin colour.

  2. Likes John Welden liked this post
  3. #742
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    34
    Likes (Received)
    4038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Welden View Post
    Right, by taking money from one group and giving it to another.

    My favorite thing is if I want to keep the money I earned, the left will call me greedy. If they take my money and give it away, it's not greed, it's fairness. Lol.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Meh...
    That's one way to think of it.
    Another is that it's fair for all citizens to have a decent education and a safe childhood.

  4. #743
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    34
    Likes (Received)
    4038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    How do you know what the rest of the world thinks?
    I just love it when people STATE (yes STATE)
    Everyone knows it's a fact......
    You would need to be insane to....
    My way is the only way to....
    If you can't see the logic in that....
    Etc.Etc. Etc.
    We, Nicaragua and one other nation are not on board.
    Seems pretty clear the USA is an outlier.

  5. #744
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    34
    Likes (Received)
    4038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    "Systematic", the word collectivists are so fond of in their quest to overturn "the system". They claim to love certain groups but their paternalistic policies are largely what has led to what many call "the urban plantation". It is of great political advantage to keep them dependent on and therefore voting for the new massas.
    So then you are saying that systematically oppressing groups is a loaded word.
    What word would you use for what you are describing except systematic?

  6. #745
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    8,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5770
    Likes (Received)
    10119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Meh...
    That's one way to think of it.
    Another is that it's fair for all citizens to have a decent education and a safe childhood.
    Right, that's why we have law enforcement and public schools.

    It's hard to get an education when the dropout rate is astronomical
    It's hard to have a safe childhood when there is a culture of crime.


    Oh wait, the oppressors make kids drop out and commit crimes. It's always the oppressors fault. No personal responsibility.

  7. Likes Mcgyver liked this post
  8. #746
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    34
    Likes (Received)
    4038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    I think you have it backwards. No one wants "oppressive policing", a loaded term. However in a crime ridden area there should be extensive, intensive and no tolerance policing. You can't let the good citizens succeed and rise without controlling crime.

    Going into crime ridden neighborhood like this makes sense and is not racist. What is racist is suggesting its been done because of skin colour.
    And yet there is still oppressive policing.
    Often legacy racist, or even actively in some cases.

    Ferguson is a classic case.
    And the resulting unrest is a predictable outcome.

  9. #747
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    34
    Likes (Received)
    4038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Welden View Post
    Right, that's why we have law enforcement and public schools.

    It's hard to get an education when the dropout rate is astronomical
    It's hard to have a safe childhood when there is a culture of crime.


    Oh wait, the oppressors make kids drop out and commit crimes. It's always the oppressors fault. No personal responsibility.
    Shit schools and trigger happy cops.
    Food deserts, no public transit.
    Crime...
    These are structural problems.
    Not problems of personal responsibility.

    Expecting a kid with no education and no shoes to pull himself up is stupid.

    Leaving those places to fester is wasteful and dangerous.

    Incarceration is more expansive than college FFS.

  10. Likes JoeE. liked this post
  11. #748
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    17,033
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3344
    Likes (Received)
    5269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Obviously you have accepted the modern spin on the Robin Hood legend that is used to justify income redistribution.

    In the original legend they did not "steal from the rich to give to the poor" but instead robbed tax collectors and gave a PORTION of it back to the peasants from whom the taxes had been taken and kept the rest for themselves. Had they kept all of it the peasants would have had no incentive not to turn them in for rewards.
    Obviously you have no idea when something is written in jest. Have you even read the original classic or is your knowledge based on Hollywood?

    The Real Robin Hood - British History - HISTORY.com

  12. #749
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norfolk England
    Posts
    1,482
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1340
    Likes (Received)
    916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    We, Nicaragua and one other nation are not on board.
    Seems pretty clear the USA is an outlier.
    You are now discussing countries,your post that I quoted said People.Now if you wish to discuss countries then please say so,I am good,no I'm not, I'm bloody good,but even I cannot read your mind.If you would prefer me not to quote your posts then don't include me in them.

  13. #750
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    8,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5770
    Likes (Received)
    10119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Food deserts
    Oh yeah, america has a huge problem with lack of food. Lol

    no public transit.
    Cry me a river. Get a bike or walk. What do you think people did in the past? Oh it's too far to walk... boo hoo. Who is supposed to pay for this public transit you want?

    Expecting a kid with no education and no shoes to pull himself up is stupid.
    We have public schooling. Maybe try not dropping out? Maybe try not getting pregnant a 15?

    Leaving those places to fester is wasteful and dangerous.
    So give them more money?

    Incarceration is more expansive than college FFS.
    So don't lock up criminals?

  14. #751
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    barcelona, spain
    Posts
    2,038
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    406
    Likes (Received)
    1119

    Default

    EXACTLY !

    Free universities, funded by governments, bring in 150.000€ profits, per person, for every person thus educated, on average.
    To the governments.

    Average tax income in say Finland, with == nr 1 in worldwide education results and standards, gets 150.000 € profit, after the university is paid for, in tax returns.

    Emergency rooms cost == 20x more than planned medical care.

    It is simply much CHEAPER, and much more PROFITABLE for the government to provide free medical care, vs not providing it.

    In any rational capitalist society, the government pays for the education and the health care, and thus derives great benefits, in money, from;
    - the more educated populace,
    - lesser costs for emergency room care,
    - vastly lower overall medical costs, since medical situations do not get acute before cared for

    Thus any rational non-socialist country would immediately provide free education, and free medical care.
    Not free as in beer, but excellent general government-revenue funded services.

    Like military, police, fire, trash, sewers, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Incarceration is more expansive than college FFS.

  15. Likes JoeE. liked this post
  16. #752
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    17,033
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3344
    Likes (Received)
    5269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Shit schools and trigger happy cops.
    Food deserts, no public transit.
    Crime...
    These are structural problems.
    Not problems of personal responsibility.

    Expecting a kid with no education and no shoes to pull himself up is stupid.

    Leaving those places to fester is wasteful and dangerous.

    Incarceration is more expansive than college FFS.
    And I from time to time get accused of "USA bashing".

    Life in Denmark - YouTube

    Danish Citizen describes living in a country with free healthcare and college - YouTube

    List of companies of Denmark - Wikipedia

    Give me a couple of years and I might be able to come up with something I don't like about living here.

  17. #753
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    34
    Likes (Received)
    4038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    And I from time to time get accused of "USA bashing".

    Life in Denmark - YouTube

    Danish Citizen describes living in a country with free healthcare and college - YouTube

    List of companies of Denmark - Wikipedia

    Give me a couple of years and I might be able to come up with something I don't like about living here.
    You live in a tiny place.
    The USA is really big.
    I have to drive days to get any where really bad.

    Denver is pretty nice no matter where you go.
    But we have active, involved policing, schools and government.

    Unfortunately we are about to hit some serious fiscal issues brought about by some stupid constitutional changes from back in the 90s

  18. Likes JoeE. liked this post
  19. #754
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    8,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5770
    Likes (Received)
    10119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    EXACTLY !

    Free universities, funded by governments, bring in 150.000€ profits, per person, for every person thus educated, on average.
    To the governments.
    We have free K through 12 education and 25% of students drop out. 1.2 million per year.

  20. Likes Scottl liked this post
  21. #755
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hatch, NM Chile capital of the WORLD
    Posts
    7,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10203
    Likes (Received)
    8644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Welden View Post
    Oh yeah, america has a huge problem with lack of food. Lol

    We have public schooling. Maybe try not dropping out? Maybe try not getting pregnant a 15?


    So give them more money?



    So don't lock up criminals?
    Hey John,

    On the surface I can agree with what you are saying.. But it isn't that simple, unfortunately.

    My old lady is an elementary school teacher, and some of the shit she deals with even makes me cry.

    Twice so far, mama's boyfriend in the paper for child molestation of one of her students. How
    do you fix that?

    Day after thanksgiving, pic of one of her students in the paper at the soup kitchen..

    Last day of school, supposed to be the best day of the year, and there are some kids crying..
    They KNOW they aren't going to get to eat much until school starts again, they aren't going to
    hear a kind word, or have a minute of care free fun for the next 2 months...

    Some of these kids are going to have a VERY hard life, they were just never given the things
    they need, and the school and teachers can only do so much..

    And the scary thing is, fucked up kids don't just come from violence and poverty and shitty parents.
    Some of the worst are the little fucktards that are coddled to the point that they are absolutely
    F'n useless, and will always be useless.


    I have no idea what the answer is, but it isn't as simple as just telling them to
    "suck it up buttercup"... Or pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.. Some can do it,
    some are so damaged they can't.

  22. Likes Greg White, JoeE. liked this post
  23. #756
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    34
    Likes (Received)
    4038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    And people like you oppose school vouchers.



    Yes it is, but trying to sentence a gun-toting drug-dealing high school dropout to college would only endanger the rest of the students and would do nothing to further his education. The only way to turn these kids around is to reach them before they get involved in the street life and unfortunately part of breaking the cycle is removing the lousy role models so many end up copying.

    People like you ANALyzing the problems of inner cities from your lily white suburbs is contributing to the continuance of those problems. They need real solutions that will work for THEM, not fantasies based on your own sheltered life.
    How is a kid supposed to use that voucher when the parents can't get them across town to that better school?
    Voucher programs are so suburbanites can take their kids to religious schools with public tax dollars.
    They don't necessarily work, and frequently fail.

    You are correct on a lot of points.
    What you are missing is that a massive intervention is needed...because it's a massive historical problem.

    And yes, that problem has its roots in white supremacy.

    How to fix it?
    Not sure, but it's pretty clear it can't be expected to fix itself.

    And I grew up even more sheltered...I grew up rural.

  24. Likes JoeE. liked this post
  25. #757
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    8,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5770
    Likes (Received)
    10119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    Hey John,

    On the surface I can agree with what you are saying.. But it isn't that simple, unfortunately.

    My old lady is an elementary school teacher, and some of the shit she deals with even makes me cry.

    Twice so far, mama's boyfriend in the paper for child molestation of one of her students. How
    do you fix that?

    Day after thanksgiving, pic of one of her students in the paper at the soup kitchen..

    Last day of school, supposed to be the best day of the year, and there are some kids crying..
    They KNOW they aren't going to get to eat much until school starts again, they aren't going to
    hear a kind word, or have a minute of care free fun for the next 2 months...

    Some of these kids are going to have a VERY hard life, they were just never given the things
    they need, and the school and teachers can only do so much..


    I have no idea what the answer is, but it isn't as simple as just telling them to
    "suck it up buttercup"... Or pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.. Some can do it,
    some are so damaged they can't.

    No matter how hard your life is, at the end of the day it all comes down to personal responsibility. Hard work and perseverance win. There is massive opportunity in the USA for those willing to go get it.

  26. Likes Scottl liked this post
  27. #758
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    8,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5770
    Likes (Received)
    10119

    Default

    Great speech by Larry Elder about his Dad and the terrible racism he experienced. Larry is the kind of guy that needs to be listened to. Not people trying to convince others of how they should think of themselves as victims. (Miguels) It's so weird how people don't listen to winners like Larry Elder.


  28. Likes Mcgyver, Ziggy2, yardbird liked this post
  29. #759
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,740
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2520
    Likes (Received)
    2740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    Twice so far, mama's boyfriend in the paper for child molestation of one of her students. How
    do you fix that?

    Day after thanksgiving, pic of one of her students in the paper at the soup kitchen..

    Last day of school, supposed to be the best day of the year, and there are some kids crying..
    They KNOW they aren't going to get to eat much until school starts again, they aren't going to
    hear a kind word, or have a minute of care free fun for the next 2 months...
    .
    how sad is that? What I'm sick of is the BS twisting of everything around so that its racist and all us middle age white guys fault. Oh wait a sec, it must be some bully cops fault.

    The anecdotes I get is that many communities won't help police in efforts to clean up things and catch the bad guys. So as sad as it is, I find the notion that is is somehow the fault of a racist white government and infrastructure moronic.

    I don't know what you can do to change the trend. You can't help people that don't want help. The ones that want a better life hopefully extract themselves and the rest seem to perpetuate the problem.

  30. Likes John Welden liked this post
  31. #760
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    17,033
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3344
    Likes (Received)
    5269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    You live in a tiny place.
    The USA is really big.
    I have to drive days to get any where really bad.

    Denver is pretty nice no matter where you go.
    But we have active, involved policing, schools and government.

    Unfortunately we are about to hit some serious fiscal issues brought about by some stupid constitutional changes from back in the 90s
    It's about attitude, not size. Which is the most peaceful state in the USA?

    As to "I have to drive days to get any where really bad." then maybe you should get a faster car.

  32. Likes JoeE. liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •