What's new
What's new

OT: Gregg Allman is dead, but his metallic proclivities live on

jonok

Cast Iron
Last edited:
Gregg Allman, guitarist extraordinaire, big time druggie and former wife of Cher has checked out.
Despite his flaws, he was a hell of a guitarist, and when he had the opportunity to see this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZOnLObStXlI/VhSFf5z2-GI/AAAAAAAAG68/ycnEL71ilQ0/s1600/Veleno+guitar.jpg

(This guitar was built by John Veleno, an erstwhile guitarist but a master machinist for NASA.)

He said "damn, a motorcycle in a guitar case, sign me up!"

requiascat in pacem

That dude made some awesome music, RIP

I saw Gregg long after Duane was gone. I had seen them early on - maybe early '71 - at a county fair thing in, I think, Macon, GA. God they were great! When I say Gregg later, it was really sad. No heart, no soul, no energy like before. He did do a great song I love, "I've Got Dreams to Remember". Molly Hatchet did that song later and did a terrific job.

Allman Bros. We're great. We recently lost Paul Goddard too. Great bassist for ARS.

RIP Greg and "PG"

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Tahlequah OK

Back in the 80's, I had the pleasure of meeting Gregg... A friend and I were at a bar near the place the ABB was playing.. In walks Gregg and his party.. I walked over to request an autograph, and he invited me to sit down and have a drink with them.. Introduced me to JJJ, the drummer... Overall, Gregg impressed me as being a great down to earth person.. RIP

Duane was the "guitarist extraordinaire" Gregg sang and played keys. He played guitar, but it wasn't extraordinary.

I have always loved his music and the whole band's. In memory of Elizabeth Reed and Whipping post come to mind. I also love Lynayd Skinner also. I played and sand in my teens with good friends. Trying to make a living and even playing underage in a bar in Panama City. What blew me away was the use of finger slides usually glass medicine bottles from a earlier era than the 70's. I liked the metal kind and bought that to use as finding a old medicine bottle was not practicable. I found out later they are collector's items dug up from old trash piles. Sorry to hear of his passing away and never thought Cher would be good for him in the long term yet I am sure they loved each other for a while. I am sure she is sad like all of us who met him or like me wanted to but really enjoyed his music.

Gregg Allman, guitarist extraordinaire, big time druggie

One has to wonder what the drugs and alcohol did for him. Made him more creative and helped shorten his life? Don't know. I have all their work. I'm going to play Beginnings later today.

I was less respectful than I should've been, the Allmans have been one of my favorites ever since I heard Eat a Peach in about 1977.
God Speed Gregg Allman

Back