What's new
What's new

OT - Have you ever found out after you started a job that you had been lied to?

Too_Many_Tools

Stainless
Considering we have an ongoing discussion on "Have you ever lied to get a job?" I considered that the flip side of the subject has just as much interest.

So have you been lied to by the employer and the job was far from what was promised?

TMT

Is "knowingly omitting information which the applicant needs to make an informed decision" lying? If so, that has happened to me.

As for lying to get a job, I've had the same job for 30+ years and didn't lie to get it. I don't remember that I lied to get any earlier ones, either, but certainly at this distance could not swear that I always tried to put my worst foot forward.

Charles

Yes , I have been lied to by an employer .

Their sales pitch , new to the area , expanding, gonna build a new building, we promote from within , etc.

Bunch of BS if you as me , but try finding a better job in Nebraska is a damn needle in a haystack.

I watched people come and go and "promotions" from within the company and I watched them build a new building , given it was not for this branch of the company . Two branches have got new buildings and people have got promoted .
And I keep getting passed over same DAMN line we need you in the shop to run production.
The branch manager has only been there two months longer then I have the only thing he has got over me is age/experience .

So I am looking for a new job if anyone out there know of a company looking for a manual machinist with eight years on Lathes and vertical mills .

please PM me thankyou

I worked for a place that had an HR dept. that would have made an Army recruiter jealous. Two women doing the interviewing and hiring, they did a darn fine job of making the sale.

It was an 16 mile drive one way, but you can car pool, everybody there does that to save money. Every dept worked different hours, and no one in my dept lived close to me.

You have the skills that would be perfect for this dept. Yeah, because they were understaffed and needed a warm body immediately.

This dept pays more. Yeah fell for that one too.

Fortunatly I only worked there for 4 weeks. I got a call to go to work for a real company.

So have you been lied to by the employer and the job was far from what was promised?
Yupp

worst decision ever in my case
At the time I was a night shift supervisor for a local production company (in fact the main rivals to where I am now :eek: )

the line during interview for this place ran
"we'll pay you the same as you get now on nights for days, we are opening a new shop and you'll be back to supervisor grade, and the hours are 8am - 4.30pm"
What I found out when I arrived there was the hours were 7am - -6.30pm mon -fri 8am - 5pm sat and 9am-4 pm sun.... if you worked the basic 40 hr week you were a slacker, the supervisors job had already gone, and the organisation of the production was somewhere between chaos and insanity.
Think being given 20 hrs to make 3 large steel parts.... then find out on the previous run they took 16 hrs to make 1.........
Or getting chewed out for spending 3 hrs building a setup, programming and tooling a 25 part job because 'the night shift guy ran the other 24 parts off in an hour so should only taken you 15 mins top to run the other part off'

Was glad to get outa there.

Boris

PS they still go through workers like anything... always ads in the paper for that place..... I wonder why :D

Oh man, dont get me started on this subject. The last place I worked at totally dumped on me. Told me everything I wanted to hear, I got there, and a few weeks later, I realized I was hosed. Turns out they had not bought a new reamer in 2 years..for anything...

Then, I would ask for things, give them a list of things to get me(some jobs were not possible without some of the things I needed) and they would say "ok, no problem". A week would pass, and I would inquire as to the status...they would start the runaround...oops, I forgot..the quote is laying right here, just need a PO, blah, blah...

My Give a F&^#Ck got broke real fast. I was SOOO pissed, cause I left a pretty decent job to go there(It is one thing if u are jobless and needing something, but I was not.)

The whole shop even got lied to about holiday pay we were all cheated out of 2 hours pay each(holiday pay). We specifically asked beforehand and were told we would be paid...after payday, we all realized we got hosed again...

at a company meeting, I got pissy with the supervisor, and 3 days later, they "were slow, and letting me go"..I told them to stop screwin with me and tell me the truth...that they didnt like my wisecracks at the meeting...they said no we were too slow(just 2 weeks before we had 11 week backlog of work...frickin liars).

The funny thing was, that same day I had a job interview with the place I am at now, and had the job by the end of the week,lol.. I had 3 days off...too funny.

P.S. I had my own CAD/CAM system, and took it with me when I left.. Solidworks files and all...a week later, the old super calls me and asks if they can have the files.. I said NOPE...but ill sell em to ya,lol. I never heard back...I deleted all their junk 2 days later..hee hee...Morons.

Oh yeah, first employer after moving to NC. Pretty long list. In a nutshell; $25K a year salary, first check averaged $19K, my fault for not getting in writing. Also flex time, you work over on salary so you get time off. The translation was you work over so the owner of the company gets time off. Then there was the mobile labe. "built to the highest standards". Old singlewide converted over to lab. Had a card table and a hole in the wall with a window fan to act as a fume hood.

Old singlewide converted over to lab. Had a card table and a hole in the wall with a window fan to act as a fume hood.
Sounds like a meth lab...

I guess I've been lucky. I can't really recall ever getting lied to by an employer. That isn't to say I havn't worked for a few rat holes in my day, but I generally knew there was no future there and accepted the "right now" job because the "right job" wasn't always there.

The job I have now treats me great. I can't speak for every machine tool company, but if you like working on machines, not having a boss up your ass all day, and going into a bunch of shops and seeing all the cool crap they do, field service is a great job. Travel can be hectic if you're a family guy but it can be fun too. I still love making chips but I do that on my own time now, no more timeclocks for me

but try finding a better job in Nebraska is a damn needle in a haystack.
Hey, JS - I left for this very reason. What's holding you back? You like 105 degree summers, and -10 winters?

"medical ins kicks in in 90 days" and find out it's 90 WORKING days, That was a good one.

I learned some time ago to get all the $$ you want going in, because there may not be any more. I just had a maybe decent new job offer me $.16 more than I'm making now, and ins. didnt kick in til 120 days...union job, would top out at about 25% more than I make now(6% raises a year)...I sent them a letter declining their offer, and offering to start for $2.16 more than I make now....no reply.

Bill

It has happened a few times. It's one of the reason I quit a job a little while back. It seems that every place is being sneeky like that. Many places are telling their employees not to bother with going back to school for the apprenticeship. They promess that they'll get the normal journeyman wage or the same salary increase that they would have gotten after coming back from school. They never see it, or no where near the increase it should be. I know many guys who got screwed that way.

I have no trouble letting any place know that they need me more than I need them. Mostly since I now make more running my own business. New place I'm at has 9 weeks left before we "negotiate" and they'll have to get some stuff straightened out if they plan to keep me. If I leave that place I'll probably never apply anywhere again. I'm tired of dealing with bad management.

Yeah...

I was told I'd be repairing dialysis machines. Got stuck doing reprocessing. They said I'd get paid parking, which since it was in an urban area was a plumb benefit. They promised I'd enjoy the job and be treated well.

I soon discovered I'd enrolled in Screw University, aka "Screw U".

The "paid parking" meant I would toss my keys to a lot owner. They would play demo derby with my car. One coworker got a grand in damages when one of the parking valets played bumper cars with his Nissan. I had an old Buick with a trick tranny and knew they'd wreck it in short order. So I paid to park.

My boss said, "Well if you don't want that paid parking turn the ticket back in". My boss was a fountain of sympathy...

By the time a year had gone by I had spent $1,000 of my own money to pay for parking. The boss used to short count the inventory. When we'd stockout I'd get to travel across town for an item. An item. Each time I moved my car I paid $4.00 to $8.00 a pop to park. I complained and was told, "It's your job!!".

They threatened me with firing if I didn't haul these supplies around. Later they said "Well you volunteered...."

I was harassed because I wouldn't work off of the clock doing errands for a friend of the Director of Nursing. I was harassed because I wouldn't shut up and be a good boy.

The Director also managed to get all of the black females out of the clinic. They were replaced by white females. No one sued her.

I also got threatened with beatings by one coworker's husband. He actually came a calling, and I couldn't quite get him to step close enough to a machine to recieve a blast of chemicals in his face. He'd have had to get intensive therapy if I'd nailed him.

My boss discovered I had to default on my student loans, said, "Well it proves you were too stupid to go college, huh".

One day an old friend offered to fix me up with a job which paid a buck an hour less but was fifteen minutes from my house. I was gone about two weeks later.

Pays not to take crap off of people... really pays. I was in default for five years - it's like being an unperson. I got out of default three years ago. Now I can get credit cards 'n stuff. No more harassing calls, being turned down for jobs.

Of course I got revenge - within six months they were losing a ton of money. Turns out that the "college" boy wasn't too bad at doing well at his job. They couldn't find anyone comparible, and started bleeding red ink.

Too bad....

Gene

The worst case I've had was the job I had before the current Job I hold....

I was wrongfully discharged from the job prior to the abovementioned one. I had applied at a number of companies, including the one that had fired my former boss. I've mentioned that in posts from back in 2004.

I went to an interview at an international decorative tin box company. The plant manager made the place sound like heaven on earth. She told me that I would be most likely put on second shift with a 25% shift differential. When I got the first check with the shift differential, there was a 25 cent per hour increase. She also told me to let her know if I needed any time for vacation since it was summer. I told her the only thing that was on the calendar was a wedding a month away on a Saturday. She said that was no problem. The day before the wedding; there was a rather large notice on the bulletin board beside the time clock that Saturday was a mandatory attendance ot day. I went to the shop foreman and told him I had a wedding to go to and his response was "I don't care. Either you're here or you don't have a job."

Andy Pullen

Well, I'm glad (not really, but you know what I mean) that I'm not alone in this.

At first I thought it was just North Carolina, and "the way things were done down here". I moved here 7 years ago from NY, left a job with IBM. I am coming to find that it's a country wide thing. Loyalty is a thing of the past.

As has been discussed in other threads, finding the right place anymore is really tough. I know it's easy to say "move to where the work is", but that's just not feasible for a lot of people, for a lot of reasons.

I can't say that I was out-and-out lied to at my first place in NC, but there sure was a lot of information withheld. Holds true for the 2nd place, too, but that's another story.

I had to laugh, 'cause I ran into that "shift differntial thing" once, too. The employee hand book spelled it out: 2nd shift 10 cents. I said "that's a typo, right? supposed to be 10 percent?" He looked at me like I had two heads. They honestly expected that to be incentive.

First place: they helped move me down here, gave me the song and dance, great place, regular raises, blah blah blah. As has also been said, should have got it in writing. A year and a half later, after getting their shop squared away, they said "thanks alot, see ya later". It's been said that when one door closes, another one opens. Now, I know nothing about tobacco growing or hog farming. That was the kick in the ass I needed to get my own thing going. (BTW, this is a company that moved down from Chicago to exploit the cheap labor)

After reading some of the posts in the other threads relating to this, I count my blessings for finally finding a place that does respect my abilities. Decent pay, decent bennies, *real* climate control (not just opening up *both* barn doors for ventilation, they send me to school, buy me new equipment, etc, etc... only draw back is the 140 mile (round trip) commute (to the big city). Small price to pay for working at a respectible place (good mpg car and a motorcycle).

Mark

Well, like many others I believed my first recruiter. . . "Sure, join the Navy and your 3-year machine shop apprentiship means you'll be a Machinery Repairman. You'll get a ship, and see the world!"

Yeah, right... after my apprentiship and a year working the trade, I joined the Navy, they sent me to hospital corpsman school, and then they sent me off to the Marines.

Oh yeah, been there, done that. Hired on to a local consulting shop. I was told, "We know you salary is lower than what you are used to but with bonus you can double your salary." So, end of my first year comes and I get my bonus, chump change. Next I find out that the rest of my group all got higher bonuses than I did. Kicker was, I was the only guy in my group that brought in enough cash to cover my own salary.

Turns out that the bonus hand out was totally at the discretion of the boss. I was gone two weeks later. Now I am working for the biggest asshole I know, MYSELF :D

"medical ins kicks in in 90 days" and find out it's 90 WORKING days, That was a good one.

I'll see that and raise you, you also aren't full time and don't get the benefits until you transfer to another shift or one of their other facilities. Needless to say, I found out about that and took a walk.

I Am There at present with ice cream!!!

The company doesn't give a hoot about the workers, lies, scams, forced overtime for some despite no OT rule, Then OT people working beside guys on reg. time, insurance and union dues increase to outrun the negotiated pay raises, very flexible contract rules interpretation {as in, what they need it to say or mean this week} And this in spite of being a gov. contract, where we can show the company the rules. Their response, "If you don't like it There is the Gate!" Companies latest contract offer for pay increases over the next 3 years; 1%, 1%, 1%!

Now the Kicker, a Good Ole Boy Local Union Lodge that is even more two faced than the company! Lies straight to your face, attends disciplinary meetings and sits there without saying a word! Re-writes bargaining agreement mid contract, approves and prints it, never consults the membership. Strike fund not funded despite membership vote to keep it funded always.

Man I gotta stop! Blood Pressure rising!!!

Ken

You are definitely getting porked if your elected rep doesn't at least raise some good hard questions on your behalf at any kind of a labor relations hearing. Sometimes raising a little hell, even if it is just for grandstanding purposes :D

Back