What's new
What's new

OT - Korean Airline Pilots, Flight 214

Status
Not open for further replies.

67Cuda

Banned
Some how, I just couldn't pass up posting this.

A local TV station some how got the pilots names, right or wrong depending on how you want to look at it, of Flight 214 that crashed at San Francisco recently.

They are blaming it on an intern. :)

Tom

I cannot believe this garbage made it through all the layers and onto TV. Shows you how pathetic the TV news is trying to be the first to break a story.

Kudo's to the intern!

Of course he is now unemployable for anyone but SNL.

:D

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Journalists have sharp wits sometimes. I still have my copy of the 1980 Boston Globe edition with the editorial headline "Mush from the wimp" an internal joke headline about a Jimmy Carter speech.

It wasn't supposed to be published. But it was.

There are a couple guys around the planet that have made it a hobby to jerk the 'News' industry around for their own entertainment.

I'd be willing to bet that this was the product of one of them.

Probably as simple as sending them a "News Release" with a callback number that they took as genuine rather than checking against a independent source.

So they called the dude back, he claimed to be from the FAA or whatever, and "confirmed" the names, and it went to air.

A pretty good lesson in critical thinking, and a darn fine proof that the talking heads on the news will speak anything that shows up on the teleprompter.

I have pretty much stopped watching the news, or reading it, as it all seems to be bad news, designed to keep folks upset, or fearful, in order that they tune in for the next round of bad news.
Can't sell advertising space or time, if the viewership does not faithfully come back to see what the latest 'news' is, can you?

Cheers
Trev

Here is an interesting video with Malcolm Gladwell about the culture of submissiveness for the koreans. It makes it very hard for them to tell some one of authority that they have a problem>

http://us.mg3.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=e7ud6os7irp8l#mail

Lee (the saw guy)
The link doesn't work for me but this problem was recognized and addressed in the U.S. many years ago. If that first officer or off duty officer isn't goiing to speak up then he might as well not be there. The whole situation is butally fucked up when the Captain isn't rated for the aircraft. In the U.S. he would be logging time as the "check airman" So who is the "pilot in command"? A guy not rated for the aircraft? A first officer aka "check airman" ? I cannot see any rationale for the Captain to not be rated on the aircraft.
To clarify, It is my understanding that all 4 held he rating of "Captain". The senior officer was "the Captain", although not rated for the aircraft. The first officer , also "a captain", was then teaching ( supposed to be teaching, but obviously without a great deal of success) his superior. The third captain, off duty, aka "pilot on board" or something similar, apparently sat there like a lump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back