Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by E.F. Thumann View Post
    Bill strikes again. Speaking of "one country", how about "thermite/monarchist/seamoss/mattij".
    You...you communist Gordon. You smoke too much weed.

2. Likes camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    Syngman Rhee, puppet of the US. Douglas MacArthur, "I'm gonna chase them commnists all the way back to Hell, if I have to drop nukes on 'em to do it."

For a guy who thinks he's really smart, son of gustaf, you can be remarkably ill-informed.

Yes, it's sort of pointless. But someone has to stand up and mention that you guys with your axis of evil idiocy are mentally retarded. It's stoooopid to the max.
    Actually there are many people many thousands of miles from many places that understand them really well

You will notice I made no value judgements just stated the facts on the ground. The NK gov't sends agents all over the world[to kill people in some cases], as do many countries, and has many declared enemies, including the current SK gov't, whether they have valid reasons for doing so is another conversation, but they and SK are two independent countries at this date and have vastly different policy goals and intentions.

To state they are currently one country with no agents spying back and forth is ignoring reality

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reality is in the mind of the beholder. Yours and mine are quite different. But since I am a couple hours away and have some dealings there, along with some personal-type exposure, I'll have to go with my own observations.

btw, have you heard of the Civil War ? How many countries ?
    ah but there was no civil war for Korea just an invasion of the north by
    Stalin after WW2 had ended.
    actually the last hold out of the Stalin land grabs.
    much like the reason the was once an East and West Germany
    and remember who built the wall to keep people in.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Agents" ? it's one country, Scott
    Yeah? Any satellite image taken after dark shows a rather clear demarcation...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    well why should he be bothered by a little thing like history and the truth getting in the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ah really need to stick to historical facts not propaganda.
    Korea was one nation, but then after the end of WW2 Stalin invaded
    and established North Korea, no civil war about it.
    Just a plain old invasion by a foreign power who then set up a government of the invaders choice.

just like the was no civil war involved with the formation of east and west Germany.
    and we know what happened when the USSR was no longer able to exert influence over East Germany.

or did old Joe Stalin secretly become a Korean?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    There is a famous satellite photo taken at night. North Korea is almost all dark while South Korea has lights showing all over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After the war both the Soviet Union and the US raced each other to claim the little countries in-between as buffers, pawns, toys in their power game. Korea had been a Japanese possession. Vietnam as well. The US stabbed Vietnam in the back and handed it back to France in return for NATO bases. In Korea, the Soviet Union raced downhill, the US up.

You have your "facts" all wrong. The Soviet Union hid behind Kim, the US behind Syngman Rhee. The US did exactly the same thing as the evil Stalin. Exactly the same. Once again, the US refused to meet with the people who lived there, the people who had organized a resistance government, the people who had any rights in the matter, so that we could emplace a compliant Charlie McCarthy.
    see you finally admitted it, Stalin did invade and install Kim to create North Korea.
    pretty much the same as what happened with east and west Germany.
    just in Korea USSR didn't pay for the real estate with blood.

and why wouldn't Vietnam be "given back to the French"?
    they made the mess let them clean it up.
    the only mistake there was moving in after the Vietnamese chased the Frenches out

not that the french have done a good job anyplace they left

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What a dipshit. You just keep on telling yourself what a hero you are and let the rest of the world hate you enough to take out your buildings. This is so stupid I can't believe it .... Do you have any idea how many people Obama has murdered with his fucking drone strikes while you sit there and pontificate about evil Josef Stalin ?

Where did Dante put the hypocrites ?
    so when you can't keep distorting facts you resort to name calling, and change the subject.

Obama and Stalin really ?
    not even on the same scale
    but granted middle east policy is well screwed up

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would find it hard to believe that NK could do anything without enormous amounts of outside help from the Chinese,Russians, and especially the Pakistanis.

Do they have the capabilities to make spindles/linear bearings/spindle bearings/controls etc, maybe now, but i bet until recently it came across the border from china, and certainly the nuclear program didn't progress without Pakistani (AQ Khan)technology.

Next somebody will claim the NK's are making their own high strength/exotic materials, like Maraging steels/inconel/titanium etc. I bet that comes across the border as well

12. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It wouldn't be a surprise to see CCCP stamped on the plans for the missiles or nukes.
    incrementally less obsolete soviet union designs would serve Putin's purposes well.

now as far as machine tools well no reason NK couldn't produce their own iron part of it
    the boys in SK do it fairly well but remember even they are using controllers not of their own design
    for the most part
    lot of fanuc.
    so the controller would be interesting to know what and where they come from in NK.
    both France and Germany have provided nuke tech to places like Iran for the right price.
    then again a homegrown PC based controller is also possible.
    with vfds and such coming most likely from China

and one should also remember the US made both missiles and nukes before we had cnc machines

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I stepped away from this thread and came back a few days later, thrilled to see this turn into a geo-political-historical bitch-fest... :rolleyes: Please guys, not in this thread...

The manufacturing technology part of their nuclear program does intrigue me. And that's a very good point - the raw materials may be more of a challenge than the actual tech. I'm not sure exactly what metals are required in a nuclear bomb, but I would imagine the nuclear Uranium/Plutonium would have come from Russia, China, and eastern Europe/central Asian countries.

Regarding machinery though, I would imagine that 5-axis, and precision-grinding would be a challenge. Well, maybe not the grinding - I'm sure it's not too hard to find even older, nicer manual grinding equipment...

It reminds me of the Toshiba-Russia 5-axis, and Mitutoyo-Iran CMM scandals.

15. Likes dstryr liked this post
    Country
    ALGERIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What's a cnc machine?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    It wouldn't be a surprise to see CCCP stamped on the plans for the missiles or nukes.
    incrementally less obsolete soviet union designs would serve Putin's purposes well.

now as far as machine tools well no reason NK couldn't produce their own iron part of it
    the boys in SK do it fairly well but remember even they are using controllers not of their own design
    for the most part
    lot of fanuc.
    so the controller would be interesting to know what and where they come from in NK.
    both France and Germany have provided nuke tech to places like Iran for the right price.
    then again a homegrown PC based controller is also possible.
    with vfds and such coming most likely from China

and one should also remember the US made both missiles and nukes before we had cnc machines
    There's some indication that the engines in their current missiles are taken from a Russian factory and sold by organized crime to NK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember when Toshiba sold 6 axis mills to the soviets for making silent propellers?

Toshiba: Soviets Already Had Technology : French Submarine Equipment Found in USSR, Company Claims - latimes

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default OT - Machine Shops & Kim Jong Un in N. Korea...

Isn't the primary mechanical difficulty of making nuclear weapons the uranium centrifuges?

Those things spin so fast as to separate uranium gas molecules, achieving the required U-238, I believe it's called.

A nuclear bomb itself is a simple mechanical device: a projectile(s) is fired at high speed into the enriched uranium, creating a hot enough reaction to start the nuclear fision.

At least that's how "Fat Boy" and the other early bombs worked...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    Isn't the primary mechanical difficulty of making nuclear weapons the uranium centrifuges?

Those things spin so fast as to separate uranium gas molecules, achieving the required U-238, I believe it's called.

A nuclear bomb itself is a simple mechanical device: a projectile(s) is fired at high speed into the enriched uranium, creating a hot enough reaction to start the nuclear fision.

At least that's how "Fat Boy" and the other early bombs worked...?
    Yes, for the first designs this is true.
    In fact you don't even need centrifuges to enrich uranium.
    The first bombs used uranium enriched in whet was essentially a giant mass spectrometer called a calutron. It used giant electro magnets made with tons of silver taken from the us treasury.

Modern designs are much less forgiving, and making one small enough to launch requires quite a bit of precision and complexity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My understanding is the that the two nukes used on Japan were two different designs. The first was simple gun design that had been proven by a test blast.
    The second was a more complicated, untested design. Part of the reason for not waiting longer after the first blast was supposed to be they wanted to test the second design before they couldn't if the war ended.
    The second one had a spherical core of urainium concentrated to a sub critical percentage or maybe it had a hole in the middle. It was covered like a soccerball with shaped plates of high explosive. Maybe even shaped charges. They were set off exactly at the same time, even allowed for delays in wire length etc. This imploded the core to a high enough density that it went critical and exploded.
    The timing circuits are the hard part to get right even today. A slight miscalculation and the force will not be symmetrical and it may not even explode the nuclear material. But it causes a stronger implosion/reaction and I think it also allows you to use a bigger amount of material. The gun type can not be more then about 2.5 k total weight.
    I believe the figure is the first bombs converted about one gram of uranium into pure energy.
    Bill D

22. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    My understanding is the that the two nukes used on Japan were two different designs. The first was simple gun design that had been proven by a test blast.
    The second was a more complicated, untested design.
    The trinity test was an implosion device.

Informative series of videos here Going Nuclear - The Science Of Nuclear Weapons - Part 1 - Just a Theory - YouTube

24. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something South Korea realizes but apparently you guys never saw a map is, they don't need to launch. They could throw the thing with a catapult, Seoul is that close to the border. A WW II battleship gun could easily do the job.

Which is perhaps why we are suddenly hearing less saber-rattling.

And if I were going to attack the US I wouldn't waste my time and money on missiles. I'd put the things into containers and ship them over. US "intelligence" has proven itself totally incompetent, you could take out at least six major cities for under twenty grand in delivery costs. It's a global economy !!

The US Army can't buy an effing Hummer for that.

Plus thanks to Ronnie Raygun, the Soviets now have the Doomsday Device. Good work, St. Ronnie !
    Ding ding.
    But the north doesn't even need a nuke for the south.
    They have plenty of conventional tubes to turn Seoul into rubble in minutes.