What's new
What's new

What is the most important when you purchase products?

Jimmy Guo

Plastic
1,Price 2,Quality 3, Service 4,Origin 5,Company 6, others
Welcome to share the story you guys interested in.

3 then 2 then 4 then 1. I try to buy american I want great service and I dont want to spend my money with scum bag companies. I am willing to pay more for good stuff.

quality first. Followed by price then origin.
I refuse to buy chinese 'tools' (scrap steel, more like)
if they prove themselves in the market, ill think about it. In 20 years.

If i cant 'afford' a good tool (or anything else for that matter), ill continue without. Buying cheap is false economy. And i definitely cant afford to waste money on crap!

I just want to know some idea about product requirements for you guys.because we just trying do some real products in China.not cheap crap any more!!
by the way,if i want buy some good quality CNC control ,what should we do? i know a little about the market in US.

Strange how most, when they see the word "Quality" think "high quality". Quality, IMO is the sum of many factors and the best definition I've read is "Suitability for use".

I don't think I can give a priority as it'll depend on what I'm buying, what I'll use it for and how often and then how much it costs.

I have for example some tools I use daily so of course then I'm going with sturdy and reliable. I have others I use maybe a couple of times a year so it's not like I'm going to wear them out.

If after taking all that into consideration my choice is "made in my own country" or "made somewhere else" I'll choose "made in my own country". If not "made in my own country" then I really don't give a damn and hope that my own country will come up with something competitive that makes me want to buy it instead of "made elsewhere".

Buying based on "nationalistic emotion" isn't going to force the producer to try harder and I'll bet there aren't many that would say "No thanks" to a customer because they didn't like the country they lived in. That's a "privelage" only governments can indulge in.

we just trying do some real products in China.not cheap crap any more!!
im not in the us.

i dont believe the consumer perception will change in a hurry.
For 10 years, the market has been flooded with inferior chinese 'knock offs'
designs copied with no understanding of the purpose. Ie, chainsaws made with inferior alloys, affecting weight and balance.

If its worth anything, i avoid us stuff aswell, morally opposed to their government. Nothing against (many of) the people.

i admit your view about "the consumer perception will not change in a hurry" because Changing people's concept will be hard.As we all know,Chinese products a bad reputation in the world.Chinese industrial technology environment didn't perfect than abroad.So we would like to introduce foreign products to make Chinese market much better.

Strange how most, when they see the word "Quality" think "high quality". Quality, IMO is the sum of many factors and the best definition I've read is "Suitability for use".

I don't think I can give a priority as it'll depend on what I'm buying, what I'll use it for and how often and then how much it costs.

I have for example some tools I use daily so of course then I'm going with sturdy and reliable. I have others I use maybe a couple of times a year so it's not like I'm going to wear them out.

If after taking all that into consideration my choice is "made in my own country" or "made somewhere else" I'll choose "made in my own country". If not "made in my own country" then I really don't give a damn and hope that my own country will come up with something competitive that makes me want to buy it instead of "made elsewhere".

Buying based on "nationalistic emotion" isn't going to force the producer to try harder and I'll bet there aren't many that would say "No thanks" to a customer because they didn't like the country they lived in. That's a "privelage" only governments can indulge in.

Patriotism is a kind of choice when you buying sth,just like me ,i had to buy a computer.After comparing several brands of computers,i chose LENOVO. The result is I regret it after use it, i swear i will not depends on country.not buy LENOVO any more.that's my real story

Jimmy, there're a couple of important considerations missing from your list, and those are "features" and "value".

Features are not synonymous with quality. Features are functionality and utility. The only time you can ignore features is when the product is a true generic commodity or a straight-up copy.

Value is not synonymous with quality. Value is best bang-for-buck with a sufficient level of bang.

When I buy a car, I don't buy the best possible car (quality). I don't buy the cheapest possible car (price). I eliminate all the cars that don't meet my functional (features) and quality requirements, then choose largely on price and intangible factors like appearance. Same thing for machine tools and tooling.

I treat service and support as an aspect of quality.

Company reputation gives some expectation about quality. However, far too many companies have destroyed their reputations by driving their production costs down, or getting bought out by a large conglomerate with no knowledge of the target market, and blowing their product quality and feature competitiveness. It's much easier to destroy a reputation than to build one up.

Country gives a very, very sloppy expectation about quality. It's really pretty stupid to group all suppliers from one country in the same bucket.

Patriotism is a kind of choice when you buying sth,just like me ,i had to buy a computer.After comparing several brands of computers,i chose LENOVO. The result is I regret it after use it, i swear i will not depends on country.not buy LENOVO any more.that's my real story

Now that's an example of where you can be more specific. "... comparing several brands of computers ....".

What was the basis for your comparison? Following my post #5 then my computer is something I rely on and use as good as every day. In that situation I'm not going to "take a chance" and I buy a brand I know and have experience with. So far Acer has served me well but many regard anything except Apple as "rubbish" - my son being one of the Apple fanatics :)

I've been looking around for a small laptop to take with me when travelling and my criteria here are weight and battery life as the two main ones. No need for a quick decision on my part as I can just lug the extra kg on the one I have until I see what I want.

im not in the us.

If its worth anything, i avoid us stuff aswell, morally opposed to their government. Nothing against (many of) the people.

You're either very brave or suicidal LOL

Governments don't make products, people do so I don't agree with what you wrote.

I had to look up your location to find out you are from New Zealand.

You're either very brave or suicidal LOL

Governments don't make products, people do so I don't agree with what you wrote.

I had to look up your location to find out you are from New Zealand.

yeah, see, i can point to most countries on a map... :p

I know they (govt) dont, and reading around here, theyre (people) as good a blokes as any,
but while the medium is money, thats controlled by the banks that own the governments.
Ill keep the money i "make" in nz, in nz.
Like i said, its not against you or your workmanship (sidchrome, gerber, remington, all quality things i use)
as the purchaser/ end user, that is my choice.

It depends on the product and the situation. Some things I need now, so availability may be the most important issue. Other things I want quality and will shop for a good price on the right item if appropriate, or just pay what it costs. Some things quality is not that critical and price is the driving factor.

CarlBoyd

It depends on the product and the situation. Some things I need now, so availability may be the most important issue. Other things I want quality and will shop for a good price on the right item if appropriate, or just pay what it costs. Some things quality is not that critical and price is the driving factor.

CarlBoyd

In my post #5 I defined quality as "Suitability for use". It can also be defined as "Fitness for use" as used by one of the leading American gurus within QC.

Now I'm wondering what "quality" is to you since you seem unconcerned at times as to whether what you buy is fit for use.

The word "QUALITY" has no meaning in itself as it is the sum of all relevant factors in a product to the buyer/user.

Huh? Care to elaborate just a bit?
If you have to question what it means to have a "quality" product is then your understanding of the English language needs a bit of help. Maybe if I used the prefix "good" then would it help? Or were you assuming that I meant "shit quality"?

Back