What's new
What's new

Presidential candidates on manufacturing jobs

PeteM

Diamond
Just finished watching the first debate between Republican presidential candidates.

My top three impressions:

1) They all did a pretty good job answering the questions. Romney seemed solid as the front runner. Gingrinch was articulate. Bachman was a surprise given some of her past history -- she was far better prepared and articulate IMO than, say, Palin might have been. The others answered well enough, but didn't really project a presidential presence IMO.

2) The entire field, with the maverick exception of Paul, was pretty far to the right and fairly single-minded. There was nothing that government could do right. We shouldn't have saved the auto industry. Paul Ryan is a fiscal genius. We should repeal regulation on the financial industry. More tax cuts are needed. Many regulatory agencies should be abolished. Health care must return to the old status quo. No mention of any case where corporations have done wrong and might need regulating. One candidate grudgingly admitted that we should keep inspecting food.

3) In answer to how we could go about creating new manufacturing jobs, the unanimous response was to cut taxes further on the rich. Maybe eliminate regulations. No one thought anything else mattered.

To me, this is a question worth examining a lot deeper. We've already tried cutting taxes, and it hasn't spurred anything close to a manufacturing Renaissance. Indeed, it just contributed to deficits under the previous and present administrations. And we've cut taxes again, but corporations are still sitting on trillions or investing them abroad.

So, where does science and technology education fit? What about the historic role of universities (e.g. the entire computer industry and Stanford, MIT etc.; the entire biomedical industry, etc.). Where does R&D in the next big things fit? How come the world's most successful manufacturing countries (e.g. China, S.Korea, Germany, etc.) seem to have opposite ideas about government's role? What about the quality of management in different countries and companies? The US used to lead in quality and value added -- now it often leads in greed and manipulation of markets.

Manufacturing doesn't seem to be a case where either Republicans or Democrats have a coherent policy. Any ideas here, what might be a winning platform on manufacturing?

RECOMMENDED: US job market: Four ways to cut the unemployment rate

Obama didn't offer any major policy announcements after meeting Monday with his Council on Jobs and Competitiveness in Durham, N.C. But the council's proposals include:

• Form business partnerships with community colleges to train more workers for today's open jobs.
Education spending.

• Streamline permitting processes to speed more construction projects. Council members Jeff Immelt of General Electric and Ken Chenault of American Express said some simple steps could achieve this goal "without undercutting the protections that our regulatory system provides."
Streamline, not defund and eliminate

• Make it easier for foreign tourists to obtain visas to travel to the US.
Whatever

• Help small employers get more loans with help from the Small Business Administration.
Please tell the Republicans to stop trying to kill this program

• Help construction workers pick up their tools again with a campaign to upgrade commercial and government buildings for energy efficiency. Obama also touted this so-called Better Buildings Initiative Monday while visiting Cree, a maker of energy-efficient lighting in Durham, after the jobs council meeting.
Invest in energy efficiency

Jobs council to Obama: Here's how to create one million jobs quickly - CSMonitor.com

Smarter richer people than the crop of Rep candidates say this is a good start to getting people back to work.

I'm waiting for a rep to talk protectionism...:rofl:

Vote in a Republican President. As I've heard, companies are sitting on their money because they don't know or trust what Obama is going to do.

Tom

It has become pretty obvious what he will/won't do.
That complaint of uncertainty has been interesting. As if there isn't always a fair amount of uncertainty in business? The bush tax cuts are there. He ISN'T/CAN'T getting/get rid of them tomorrow or the next day! What do people think (with any basis for it) he is going to do?

Jeff

Vote in a Republican President. As I've heard, companies are sitting on their money because they don't know or trust what Obama is going to do.

Tom
:nutter:

heard from whom? I'm assuming at the power lunch with the Koch bros or the after-dinner drinks you shared at the Walton compound?:rolleyes5:

As usual, Obama is clueless. He's pimping Cree , a purveyor of Chinese products.

Reinstate the Glass- Steagall act to separate commercial and investment banking. This was the major cause of the mortgage/housing bust, combined with the clamor for "affordable" housing.
We have got to reduce imports. It is virtually impossible to buy US made items in some areas. Try Carhartt for example. All Mexican and Chinese made. The price did not go down though, did it?
We need to overhaul corporate structure. As long as the CEO appoints board members who will give him another huge raise/bonus for gutting the company, we will never have a manufacturing industry.

As usual, Obama is clueless. He's pimping Cree , a purveyor of Chinese products.

One also has to wonder why the head of American Express is one of the members of his jobs council. Seems to me we've got a more than adequate supply of parasites sucking money out of the economy already, so that ain't the type of "expert" we need.

Reinstate the Glass- Steagall act to separate commercial and investment banking. This was the major cause of the mortgage/housing bust, combined with the clamor for "affordable" housing.
We have got to reduce imports. It is virtually impossible to buy US made items in some areas. Try Carhartt for example. All Mexican and Chinese made. The price did not go down though, did it?
We need to overhaul corporate structure. As long as the CEO appoints board members who will give him another huge raise/bonus for gutting the company, we will never have a manufacturing industry.

It'd take a lot of pondering to come up with a better top 3 list than this one.

One also has to wonder why the head of American Express is one of the members of his jobs council. Seems to me we've got a more than adequate supply of parasites sucking money out of the economy already, so that ain't the type of "expert" we need.

It'd take a lot of pondering to come up with a better top 3 list than this one.

Proving yet again that Obama is NOT a Liberal.
If you want those three reforms elect people who sound like Sanders.

Its interesting to me that even though many republicans wont admit it, Romney is consistently polling much much higher, among republicans, than all the rest of the field. Most likely because so many of the other candidates are such loons.

And Romney's history of job "creation" is truly 21st century- his big business experience is in leveraged buyouts-
He bought companies using loans based on their own assets, stripped the assets, fired the employees, shipped any remaining production overseas, and then they usually left the husk to go bankrupt.

Thats the business experience he is touting as why we should vote for him.

deals like this one-
http://www.boston.com/news/daily/26/ampad.pdf

He puts in $5 million, takes out $100 million, factories close, the company goes bankrupt.

Could the Republican candidates be any worse? This is the best the conservatives can put up? Fuckin pathetic.

Romney? Biggest phony on that stage.

Herman Cain? Seriously? He should be in a Saturday Night Live Skit.

Bachman? It's embarrassing to live in a country where someone that crazy and stupid can run for president.

Gingrich? Couldn't be a bigger Douche.

Pawlenty? Has the charisma of garbage can.

Ron Paul? FYI, you're unelectable, go away dude.

Santurom? The USA really need a hyper social conservative freak for president. It's those darn gays who are destroying this country.

And they're all for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. States rights? Small gov? Huh?

Could the Republican candidates be any worse? This is the best the conservatives can put up? Fuckin pathetic.

Romney? Biggest phony on that stage.

Herman Cain? Seriously? He should be in a Saturday Night Live Skit.

Bachman? It's embarrassing to live in a country where someone that crazy and stupid can run for president.

Gingrich? Couldn't be a bigger Douche.

Pawlenty? Has the charisma of garbage can.

Ron Paul? FYI, you're unelectable, go away dude.

Santurom? The USA really need a hyper social conservative freak for president. It's those darn gays who are destroying this country.

And they're all for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. States rights? Small gov? Huh?

It's like the line up for president of Iran or post Weimar Germany.

In my pessimistic view, I think that the repubs KNOW, DEEP DOWN, that the economy is completely down on its' knees and not able to be revived by anyone of any party, so they will do what they did the last presidential election cycle when they knew they didn't have a chance to win~ put up a half-hearted offense with the second string players. Let them take the beatings and save the star QB for the strategic game at a later date.

This string of GOP hopefuls~ it's just for show. The country is run into the ground so well that they (GOP) are going off to lick their wounds in peace. Nothing much they can do to save the economy. They want the Dem's to stay in power for the time being and let them take the brunt of the political backlash.

As stated before, the big money (GOP types) are setting on boatloads of cash, starving the economy down to where the Dems' can't get it to recover. They'll continue this for another 4 years and let us fumble along, then watch the 2016 election cycle~ they'll come up with their star player and trot him out and when the guy gets elected, the money floodgates will open and prosperity will reign supreme and the GOP will take all the credit.

Like I say, no one of any real heft is going to run against Obama this time. They don't want to beat him because then they'd really have to do something of substance. The GOP isn't going to run a heavyweight who may actually win, because they know they would be wasting that person by using him in this election cycle. They don't plan on an ecomonical recovery at this time, so why take a chance of winning and wasting their star player.

As stated before, the big money (GOP types) are setting on boatloads of cash, starving the economy down to where the Dems' can't get it to recover. They'll continue this for another 4 years and let us fumble along, then watch the 2016 election cycle~ they'll come up with their star player and trot him out and when the guy gets elected, the money floodgates will open and prosperity will reign supreme and the GOP will take all the credit.

Prosperity is ALREADY reigning supreme for those guys- Actual taxes paid are at their lowest in 60 years, profits are enormous, the big money guys have NEVER done this well in the history of the world.
What possible reason would they have to revive the economy for us peons?

Its working fine for them right now.

I am not sure who the star QB would be- Jeb Bush?

Most of these guys sincerely believe in the magic unicorn of tax cuts fixing everything.
Boeing paid NO taxes the last two years, and then the VP went to congress to testify that his taxes were too high...

http://waysandmeans.house.gov/UploadedFiles/Zrust_testimony.pdf

I can only assume that he feels we should be giving companies like his tax refunds, in addition to the cost plus contracts, IM/EX bank loans, and various subsidies we already send his way.

And giving companies like Boeing more money seems to be the main thrust of the republican candidates, who propose to defund medicare and social security to do it.

In my pessimistic view, I think that the repubs KNOW, DEEP DOWN, that the economy is completely down on its' knees and not able to be revived by anyone of any party, so they will do what they did the last presidential election cycle when they knew they didn't have a chance to win~ put up a half-hearted offense with the second string players. Let them take the beatings and save the star QB for the strategic game at a later date.

This string of GOP hopefuls~ it's just for show. The country is run into the ground so well that they (GOP) are going off to lick their wounds in peace. Nothing much they can do to save the economy. They want the Dem's to stay in power for the time being and let them take the brunt of the political backlash.

Like I say, no one of any real heft is going to run against Obama this time. They don't want to beat him because then they'd really have to do something of substance. The GOP isn't going to run a heavyweight who may actually win, because they know they would be wasting that person by using him in this election cycle. They don't plan on an ecomonical recovery at this time, so why take a chance of winning and wasting their star player.

I agree with you.. and ... THE REPUGS STARTED THE MESS... WHY does anyone think THEY are going to fix what they screwed up in the first place?

As far as "fixing manufacturing" THAT's a JOKE... AINT gona HAPPEN.. EVER...

Look at WHY and HOW manufacturing is hosed... Look at the REASONs...
MAJOR REASON.... The Overseas Private Investment Corp... OPIC.. google it, learn

"...far better prepared and articulate IMO than, say, Palin might have been."

That comment right there should tell us how low we've sunk. Republican candidates: still
better than palin.

Re-install glass stegal? A nice idea, but the powers that be will never, ever, ever
permit that.

Jim

As long as public officials keep sucking the tete of big business to fund their campaigns nothing of consequence will change. Large corporations don't care about you or this country the only thing that they care about is profits. If a politician will not play their game they will fund the opposition until they are out of the race. Think about it why would a politician that really wanted to help the people in his district why would he vote for business that ship jobs over seas to get a tax break. If he cared about you he would tax business that ship jobs over seas and increase import taxes so that the price of foreign good were the same or MORE than American made goods. The only way to ever get this to happen is to quit voting for GOP or Dems because almost by default they must play the game to get where they are. If they played the game to get where they are now what makes you think they will suddenly change their minds now. Remember power corrupts but they keep saying if you give me more power I can stop this corruption. Hum does this make sense you lied to me to get where you are but this time your serious :nutter: ya right. But the sheeple keep believing it and every time their burnt so they go right back to the arms of the party that bit them last time.
Rant\

Your right...
Must be from the Philly burbs... near Old USS Failess area?
or maybe SW close to where GE was or DelCo Westinghouse?...
All of them gone...tens of thousands of jobs gone,,, long gone never to return

Actually I'm near Pittsburgh "The Iron City" or more aptly named now "Abandoned Mill City"

Honestly their is one thing we can learn from China.

Former SFDA chief executed for corruption

Now I don't think we should go around whacking senators or anything. But they should be thrown out of office their assets ceased and thrown into a federal prison. When I say Federal prison I'm not talking like a white collar prison I'm talking the deepest hole of a real rape you in the ass kinda prison.

Back