What's new
What's new

Reverse Rant

JimK

Diamond
Now that I am living in West By Gosh Virginia I am able to get out and shoot much more often than when I lived in the D.C. area.

There is a young guy who hangs out here and he is a gun nut, so that means quite a few trips to our local gun emporium for ammunition.

I also ave had by Beak between the pages of the gun magazines.

Surpirsing thing I have found.

There are a few new names in the gun industry. They are makers of fine and "custom" automatic pistols and revolvers. I have seen the guns in real life and the workmanship is as impressive as the price.

Those guns sell well!

There is nothing more mechanical than a firearm. Here is a machine that can be made on CNC equipment or conventional equipment - however the maker decides.

I choose not to go through all the licensing and paper work necessary to make and sell guns, but I think there is a point to be made here.

If someone already has a machine shop, he should be thinking along the lines of making a small mechanical device that can be sold into a niche market.

We make a fruit tester. it is all brass and it sells in very small quantities all over the world. The folks at Ford and GM don't have to worry about our production capacity, but the job helps keep the lights on and the rent paid.

We make an Equipment Mount for Navy ships. Another diddly-dingus job that Raytheon and Lockheed-Martin don't want to fool with so they buy ours.

I am thinking of finding some ancient brass scientific instrument to copy and make. Maybe a nice balance scale. They look great and rich guys might buy them just to have on their desks.

Never underestimate the "handmade" or "custom" angle. Use the Wal Mart craze to your advantage.

Put something on the web or on the market that isn't on eBay or Wally-World and it will sell just beacuse of that.

Men, especially, will lay down their money for a thing that goes "Zip when it moves, Bop when it stops and Whirr when it stands still".

Well, what are we waiting for - let's hit the drawing boards!

I read a post about a new rifle on a reloading forum so I checked it out. The rifle was absolutely beautiful and the workmanship superb but the stock was synthetic and painted with a speckled white on black. From the gnashing of teeth and uproar you would have thought someone just murdered Mom's Apple Pie and bad mouthed a Chebytruck. The price was excellent also. Coming up with a new dingus can cause some consternation if it conflicts even slightly with what is considered the acceptable norm.

I like your idea of home cooking and quality products and intend to delve into it as soon as I get everything working and up to speed. Sounds like quality workmanship is still alive and well albeit hiding in middle America. Don't let too many know where you are, the "We make garbage and are proud of it" death squads will hunt you down.
biggrin.gif

The price was excellent also
-----------------------------
My nephew just brought over two CVA rifles he bought new, a bobcat with wooden stock, glow sights.
And a inline with plastic stock, it has a complete possibles kit with it.

Both rifles are in 50cal.
The bobcat cost 69.00
The inline cost 129.00

There is no way that anyone could buy the steel alone for this price.

The cost of labor could not be paid for with these sell prices, as they are retail.

The bobcat stock would cost more than 69.00 just to buy the wood and machine.

I thought he was pulling my leg untill he showed me the sales slip.

What gives? how can CVA do this without going broke?

I know what you mean, JustJoe. One of the ranchers down the road a piece has a Bobcat. I couldn't believe the price either. It's a little on the rough side but shoots great. Made in Italy, I think? I have a Lyman Great Plains 54 cal that has taken 4 deer and 2 elk all with 80 gr of Goex FFG and a .530 round ball, 0.015" Wonder patch. I have Lyman peep and globe sites and it will put 3 in one ragged hole at 50 to 80 yards without cleaning. Dropped all those critters at 40 to 125 yds like a lightning bolt hit them. Within 125 yards it kills as quick as my 338 or 416 does, seems like and a lot less meat damage. Smells good too. Watch the steel cresent butt plate. It will whip a huckleberry on you faster that a horny redheaded pileated, doublebreasted, bedthrasher.

Oh, Yes, JimK. In my old world, say "Ford" or the wrong thing about a "Chebbytruk" and I gahronntee the gator would come arunning. Don't even show up with a furrunting. By the time you got a good stagger on it would be pieces and parts all scattered around. Worse than yelling baaaaa in a cow camp.
biggrin.gif
Ah, the folly of youth.

I'll badmouth a chebytruk any day, starting with mine........don't get me started.....

"Horny redheaded pileated doublebreasted bed thrasher"?
Young man, you watch your phraseology!! Yeah.
(wink, wink)
Greg B.

Back