Tariffs just put in place. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny but whirlpool bought Maytag the closed the US plants.
    except for TV and such won't touch that LG crap bad experience with
    refrigerator and laundry equipment.

when the price goes up solar installation go down
    expect more of the same with tariffs.
    we all know who benefits from that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    My wife bought these (Whirlpool) about a couple of years ago and hasn't complained

whirlpool.jpg

3. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    I despise my Jap washing machine. The only good thing about it is that so far it hasn't pumped all the water out on the floor. Fill it up, push go, it sits and thinks about what to do for five minutes. It has about thirty cycles, three of which are useful. It gets to the 3 minute warning on the display, then takes another eleven minutes to finish. And then when it is finished, you can't open the door for a good two minutes, until all the warning buzzers sound and the lights go off. I should be happy that it doesn't require shutting off the power to the building in order to open the door.

Sanyo. Don't ever buy one. Piece of shit.

5. Likes Bobw, JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, you'd be wrong. They closed 3 plants, and moved that production to other US plants. Exactly 2 models went to Mexico. Where do you get your information?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    "We don't make solar cells"

No, not at the moment because they were undercut by subsidized imports but several companies still have the tooling and processes and were just waiting for a fair shake.

Expect a new generation of higher capacity cells and some interesting related "stuff" in the not-too-distant future.
    Look at 1366 Technologies

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dupa3872 View Post
    Look at 1366 Technologies
    You realize what will happen with this, right ?

1366 develops new process, cuts cost of solar panels in half.

Cost drops through the floor, production skyrockets, 1366 is doing well.

Carlyle Group buys 1366, pays the three top people 168 million dollars apiece.

Carlyle sells to a consortium of ex-bankers and MNC's including GE for 2.9 billion, brokerage fee going to Goldman-Sachs, renames the company Gozinya Solarion, enters into joint venture agreement with Xinbei Energy, moves production to Gansu Province, everybody in Massachusetts gets a pink slip.

US is right back where it started. Corporations do not give a shit about the US, except to milk it and milk it.

Under the circumstances it's pretty hard to get excited about any of this "competitiveness" stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did anyone squawk when Obama put tariffs in Chinese Tires...For basically the same reason Trump is doing it to solar panels and washing machines? Read this:

UPDATE: 1:47 p.m. — United Steelworkers President Leo Gerard said in an emailed statement that the organization informed the administration in March that it would not request an extension of the tariff.
    “Since [Obama’s] decision, by every measure, success has been achieved: jobs have been retained and created, production has
    rebounded, investments in plant and equipment have been made and many companies have returned to profitability. That’s why the law was enacted, and it worked,” said Gerard.
    The USW added that “under an unacceptable, but existing provision of international trade law, compensation for a fourth year of relief might have had to be paid to China.”
    “We refused to pursue an option that could potentially reward China for their actions,” Gerard said.

U.S. Tariff On China's Tires Set To Expire As Obama Stumps In Ohio | HuffPost

10. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    I despise my Jap washing machine. The only good thing about it is that so far it hasn't pumped all the water out on the floor. Fill it up, push go, it sits and thinks about what to do for five minutes. It has about thirty cycles, three of which are useful. It gets to the 3 minute warning on the display, then takes another eleven minutes to finish. And then when it is finished, you can't open the door for a good two minutes, until all the warning buzzers sound and the lights go off. I should be happy that it doesn't require shutting off the power to the building in order to open the door.

Sanyo. Don't ever buy one. Piece of shit.
    I wonder if they do that to get the water and electric use PER UNIT OF TIME down..

The new dishwasher I have is like that... The "standard" wash cycle is almost 4 hours, and most
    of that time its just sitting there doing nothing... It has a "fast" 1 hour cycle, and even that
    just sits and does nothing most of the time.. The old one ran in about 20 minutes...

12. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This article is interesting updated Dec 6 -2017
    Average Cost Of A Factory Worker In The U.S., China And Germany [INFOGRAPHIC] | HuffPost

MIGRANT WORKERS IN CHINA | Facts and Details

China Population (218) - Worldometers

Rather that blabbing and arguing what we see on TV we should read and consider the facts..

Too little to late..We better become some what sensible to plan the USA future. We can’t just keep going farther down the deficit dumpster. Nobody should hold USA debt because we are selling/trading our country for junk that soon goes to the land fill. Oh my goodness are we stupid. How ever can we pay our debt with just creating more debt. Does anyone figure our debt holders will just forgive out debt?

14. Likes Richard King liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

shhhh..you cannot mention the Carlyle Group.

16. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    I wonder if they do that to get the water and electric use PER UNIT OF TIME down..
    Only partly. Noise reduction is the other half of that. Old dishwasher just BLASTED food debris off with pressurized jets of detergent-laced water. Loud, but fast and effective.

Newer ones, the control system needs time to map all the food particles, then send out water droplets on nano-Ninja froggie shoes to quietly sneak-up on the particles and cut them off at the knees, one at a time.

The time-consuming part is recovering all the nano-footgear and stashing it for the next go so we don't twig to how they are doing this.

Progress.

God - or the Devil - must get a sales commission on it.

18. Likes Bobw, Spinit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dish washer used to run forever too. When my son married, his Father-in-Law was a "Maytag Repairman" and I was telling about the damn dish washer took so long to run. He said go buy a pack of Lemonade Cool Aid and dump it in the empty dish washer and run a short cycle. I didn't have any so I poured in a 1/2 cup of concentrated lemon juice the wife had in refrig.(caught hell next time she needed some) lol. He told me the sensor in there gets crudded up and the citric acid in the lemon juice cleans it. Worked for me...Also run the Hot water tap in the sink beforehand so the water going into the washer is hot. :-) Rich

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    Also run the Hot water tap in the sink beforehand so the water going into the washer is hot. :-) Rich
    Not all DW are even plumbed to HW to begin with.

Those that are still "superheat" their own water above the safe-against-scalding setting typical of HW heaters just to do a better job of sanitizing. Doesn't take long if incoming water is 100 F to 120 F or so.

If/as/when operated off a COLD water tap - down around 40 F or so, winter times, many places, they will take a great deal longer to get up to their set point, and must do that more than once in each load cycle.

Having enough heat to sterilize each load is one of the most important things a DW can contribute towards keeping a family healthy. False economy to not give them a good start at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    My dish washer used to run forever too.
    All the fun dishwasher tricks... Problem is, this new dish washer is designed to
    take forever.. The "go fast" cycle is a button labeled "1hr"... The instruction
    manual says the regular cycle is 3 hours, push any of the option buttons like
    heavy clean or really dry and it goes up to 4 hours...

Its fricken ridiculous when an industrial dishwasher, the small single rack ones
    will run in about 3 minutes, and actually get everything clean. I should have
    looked for one of those.

It does do a better job than the old one, as long as you don't PACK it..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't read this whole post so forgive me if I'm repeating info but the tariffs for washing machines were lobbied for by Whirlpool or so I read. I live in a town where Whirlpool employs thousands and they have massive plants in 3 other nearby towns. I honestly believe most of the items in these machines are USA made. If whirlpool isn't making them a dozen of other local places are making the parts.

Whirlpool owns Kitchen Aid and they have a big plant in Greenville Ohio. Years ago they sent the mixer manufacturing to China but they didn't hold up and are back in Greenville & local manufacturers.

23. Likes dstryr, tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've had the same American made dishwasher for 41 years.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    I've had the same American made dishwasher for 41 years.
    Hold on to that one! It's all plastic parts now when it used to be good steel.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    Its fricken ridiculous when an industrial dishwasher, the small single rack ones
    will run in about 3 minutes, and actually get everything clean. I should have
    looked for one of those.
    I *had* one, many years ago. Thermador-Waste King, (Hobart?) ALL stainless, and over $800 wholesale, early 1970's dollars. Soft food disposal had more HP and was larger than the one on the sink. Made a rock crusher sound pleasant, but was magical at JFDI.

Ex had it replaced with a vanilla low-end GE as we were divorcing. Quieter, but would clog on but one small bit of fibrous Celery.

Food-service industry ones are easy to find online. "Rich folks" who have staff and large kitchens to support entertaining many folks at a go DO use them.

Downside is that absent the "premium" price for hybridization that old one of mine had they have no racks built-in. Just guide ribs.

One has to also have an inventory of the "pallet system" trays. Out of sight in a restaurant or hotel kitchen. Out unloading glasses and mugs where you can see them in many pubs and bars, so most of us have seen them. Not all that attractive for our typical mixed-load needs of cookware, tableware, and flatware - few items, many types, rather than two dozen and more beer mugs at a go.

Well.. some among us....

27. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Supply Guru View Post
    Hold on to that one! It's all plastic parts now when it used to be good steel.
    No plastic or steel in this one.

29. Likes Matt_Maguire, camscan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Supply Guru View Post
    I didn't read this whole post so forgive me if I'm repeating info but the tariffs for washing machines were lobbied for by Whirlpool or so I read. I live in a town where Whirlpool employs thousands and they have massive plants in 3 other nearby towns. I honestly believe most of the items in these machines are USA made. If whirlpool isn't making them a dozen of other local places are making the parts.

Whirlpool owns Kitchen Aid and they have a big plant in Greenville Ohio. Years ago they sent the mixer manufacturing to China but they didn't hold up and are back in Greenville & local manufacturers.
    Their own damned fault if their Chinese production was sub-standard. Their own factory, not a contractor.

Whirlpool is a more "globalized" player than you may have yet twigged to.
    Our "Whirlpool" Microwave in HKG was made in Sweden and so branded by AB Electrolux.

Production may have come back for the net-cheaper labour we now have in the USA, other countries - China included - having grown relative pay faster in industrial venues than we have. Mostly, that is about whom invested how much in more-yet automation and robots, etc.

Lots of high-volume goods, most of the "human" labour still left is only driving forklifts.