What's new
What's new

TESLA thinking of making electric F150 Rival

Well, I have at least 2 more years to sleep well next to my F250...

However, Tesla will need to produce its unannounced Model Y first that's expected to be a compact SUV based on the Model 3 sedan and slated to arrive around 2019 to 2020.

They're only about 100,000 units behind on Model 3 production right now, due entirely to their incompetence and overconfidence about their manufacturing capabilities - seems like an awesome time to announce some new products.

Still, gotta admire the marketing department that can make the fanboys squeal with delight on demand.

They had better learn how to make a profit.

I agree, it's all bullshit to play the markets and keep the share price up, .yes it's dropped recently, but Tesla started 2017 @t around $215, and finished @ $311 or over 46% up on the year.

I don't watch or play the market, ....but I'll lay a pound to a pinch there are 000's of bosses who'd give their eye teeth for a 46% increase in a year.

Musk is just another con man bullshit merchant taking the world for a ride.

So Tesla is thinking of making a rival to the F150? Why bother?

American pickup beds suck. F150s are too tall, overweight, overpowered and cost much too much for their payload. A friggin' kei truck made in 1990 costs less than a tenth what an F150 does, has 1/2 again the payload and gets more than twice the fuel mileage.

If Tesla were to make a modern Kia-like electric cabover, I'd be interested...

The F-150 has been for at least a decade or so, the best selling vehicle in America. Not just the best selling truck, the best selling vehicle. Any company would want a slice of that market.

But why (other than a broken tax system)? It's a crappy vehicle when all's said and done.

Well, the F-150 has been more a car than a truck for at least 15 years. I don't think you can even buy one without an extended cab and 4 seats.

It's the perfect vehicle for America. Big enough to feel safe and look "manly". Gets decent fuel mileage for the size. Carries the wife and kids. Pretty good towing capacity.

I can't stand any of the modern trucks. Tiny box that can't haul anything. Fussy electronics that fuck up as soon as the warranty ends. Impossible to work on them, especially anything under the hood.

But, I'm in the extreme minority. It's most of the reason I went to a 3/4 ton truck. Easy to find a real work truck with no frills.

Who needs profits with such large Government kickbacks. The whole thing is a sham if you ask me.

Who needs profits when you are richest man in the world?
They can afford to bleed a lot of red ink in the hope it will all work out and if wrong is a huge tax right-off so win-win.
I'm not seeing a sham or government kickbacks as the driving motivation here.
Bob

The UPS electric trucks seem to be working okay here. Did hear some ICE trucks during the holiday rush.
Bill D

Last edited:
Tsla makes the best cars in the world - according to every survey of current car owners, by a wide margin.

Now.. the US-type truck is a US phenomenom.
They are not typically widely used elsewhere in the world.
So what.

The F150 has been a US success..
--Tsla-US company-wants to sell some trucks into the US market.
Let them.

Tsla will likely sell some trucks in any case, in the F150-type market.
It is possible tsla might be very successful. Imho.

I base my expectation on what happened to every major industry I was in, that had similar cost/performance curves as lion batteries that define BEVs/tsla cars.
I was in PCs, HDDs, RAM, processors, LAN, internet.
Followed the PV stuff closely, never really in it.

Imho..
the fact is that someone somewhere will make a killing with BEV trucks like the F150.
At some point.
When, how, who, is very unclear today.

But Tsla with EM is by far the best, sharpest and riskiest seller of such stuff..
and until the dust settles and lion or other batteries become commodities, it is very likely EM/tsla will take the game.

There are about 20 possible real credible competitors to EM/tsla/pana lion battery plans.
Some ship, lion america (iirc) 50.000 units/month /cells in test production for 400 Wh/kg.

But just like the hdd/ram/processor/mb wars .. it just is Not That Easy.

There are 2 facts.
Today, at 200 Wh/kg / 100-120$/kW cost, tsla leads the motive-power world by a wide margin.
But..
there is zero reason to think a new tech., dope, development, wont work, somewhere, sometime, commercially.
But also, as EM said, there is zero reason to think that tsla wont be the nr 1 licensee.
Tsla has 380 Wh/kg cells in their investor presentation, feb/2017, 2170 size, in their factory.

When commercial battery cells get to 380 Wh/kg (at == 100$ cost), it is game over for ICE cars.
And the changeover will be == 2 years, just like smartphones.
But 3/4 auto makers will die. This is bad.
The common auto workers, esp. in the US., will be devastated. This is terrible.

Since about 6/2016 I have predicted a global disruption in auto to BEVs, in 2018, +/- 1 yr.
My prediction stands.

Back