You do not even know what a strawman is

He brought up Auschwitz, not me

get a clue

fear of minorities, straight out of the fascist playbook

find the other

generate fear of the other

repeat

rivett lives in fear of the other
    Babble on. Have you ever made a straw man Gusto city Man?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    And now the dance of simple denial.

The data is corrected for that effect.
    People go through all sorts of gymnastics to get away from it...
    Guns do not make people more safe.
    In fact being around guns and having guns makes people much less safe.
    You are more likely to shoot a friend than an intruder.
    Having a gun increases the suicide rate of everyone in the household.
    It increases the rate of murder in the household.

Dance all you want, those are facts.

Ang for those that think it won’t happen to them because they know better...
    There’s Dunning-Kruger.
    Dunning–Kruger effect - Wikipedia

Just as important is the corollary, people that actually DO know what they are doing make the mistake of thinking others do as well.

Get over it...guns do not make people more safe.they make people less safe.
    Weapons posesion has a causal effect o testosterone and aggression.

Stop trying to wrench apocryphal and dubious theories into some semblance of sense.

Well...
    Now you have, simply denying actual truth is easier for those with cognitive dissonance than addressing their errors.

Let me make this simple.
    You Are Wrong.

No amount of dancing, cherry picking or story telling will change that.
    Now, if you just want to say you don’t care that guns tend to make you and those around you less safe...fine.
    But don’t try to lie to yourself and others about it.

Just because ‘your team’ lies with numbers does not mean that all do.
    Citing the ‘Crime Prevention Research Center’ as a reliable resource is extremely problematic.

If all those studies showing guns increase danger were faulty, don’t you think the NRA could hire people to examine them instead of simply whispering?Dont you think they would WANT them studied instead of blocking research?

Occam’s razor Scott.
    Not in Texas Amigo. One time I was traveling alone my boss had 2 businesses one a gun dealer,fascinating firearms I saw. He insisted his people defen themselves and sold at cost, before conceived carry. I had a nut on the interstate trying to run me off the road one day. Well a little show and he backed off no one hurt. Today that is not right. Laws change I never pointed at him I just held up the profile and set it on the dashboard and kept on driving. Miguels if you lived here you would be justified to have your firearms as the mentality is different. Firearms in general are highly not used righteous by criminals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    Not in Texas Amigo. One time I was traveling alone my boss had 2 businesses one a gun dealer,fascinating firearms I saw. He insisted his people defen themselves and sold at cost, before conceived carry. I had a nut on the interstate trying to run me off the road one day. Well a little show and he backed off no one hurt. Today that is not right. Laws change I never pointed at him I just held up the profile and set it on the dashboard and kept on driving. Miguels if you lived here you would be justified to have your firearms as the mentality is different. Firearms in general are highly not used righteous by criminals.
    Stories are meaningless.
    I can find a story for anything.
    The fact is that guns don’t make people safer.
    In fact they tend to make people, their friends and family less safe.

As for your specific story...
    Even that doesn’t hold up to larger examination.
    The "weapons effect" | Psychology Today
    The weapons effect on wheels: Motorists drive more aggressively when there is a gun in the vehicle - ScienceDirect

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    In australia gun crimes dropped a lot by confiscating most guns.
    Not really. We had a few nutcases who committed massacres - the last big one triggered the change in laws. That caused a serious spike in the gun-related homicides.

There are about as many long guns in Australia now as there were prior to 1996, but the mix has changed. Far less centrefire semiauto guns. Murder rate by firearm hasn't really changed upwards AFAIK.

We have a lot stricter licensing & registration than before. This has made a fair bit of difference. It's not hard to get a gun licence but the process does weed out, to a considerable extent, the obvious nutcases.

Serious criminals, no change - they get smuggled handguns and in a few cases have been caught with reasonably well made backyard manufactured ones. Never going to solve that one.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stories are meaningless.
    I can find a story for anything.
    The fact is that guns don’t make people safer.
    In fact they tend to make people, their friends and family less safe.

As for your specific story...
    Even that doesn’t hold up to larger examination.
    The "weapons effect" | Psychology Today
    The weapons effect on wheels: Motorists drive more aggressively when there is a gun in the vehicle - ScienceDirect
    Well he tried to run me off the road. Plus I did not fire. The truth is many many people have a firearm for defense. The main problem is they are not trained and the firearm is not secure. No one believes they will have a deadly accident yet I feel safe storing of firearms should be a required course for owners.

PS Stories are not meaningless as history has many stories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well he tried to run me off the road. Plus I did not fire. The truth is many many people have a firearm for defense. The main problem is they are not trained and the firearm is not secure. No one believes they will have a deadly accident yet I feel safe storing of firearms should be a required course for owners.

PS Stories are not meaningless as history has many stories.
    Your story is meaningless except to you and him.
    It has zero predictive use.

People who own a gun thinking it will make them safer are making a mistake.
    Owning a gun puts you and yours at risk.
    When talking about securing you gun you are sacrificing a large part of the utility for home defense.
    Leave it in the car, it gets stolen or the kid picks it up.
    Shoot your kid accidentally.
    Kill the drunk neighbor that came to the wrong door.
    All are more likely.

It’s an emotional response, and it’s wrong.
    Remember dunnunig Kruger...everyone thinks it won’t happen to them...
    And those that really are that good give others more credit than they should.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought an armed society was a safe one...

Violent crime increases in right-to-carry states | Stanford News

People like to use outliers to try to say that guns aren’t an issue.
    Guns are an issue, the fact that there are outliers is not really important.
    John J. Donohue III is a law professor, economist, and the C. Wendell and Edith M. Carlsmith Professor of Law at Stanford Law School. He is widely known for his writings on effect of legalized abortion on crime and for his criticism of John Lott's book More Guns, Less Crime.
    But I'm sure that is nothing to do with the results of his study. And since the statistics must unmistakeably support his conclusions, it won't be long before there are other studies and of course peer reviews, confirming them.

*crickets*

Still, he's been a very good boy and is sure to get a gold star from all those public-spirited folks at the UN and elsewhere who are obsessed with disarming the residents of the Western World.

I see we've got a couple of candidates for the "Broken Record Award" here: the Gussy & Miguel Show. You fellas seem to have some issues alright, barely sublimated anger being projected all over the place.

Go read a book maybe?

I'd suggest something like Oswald Spengler seeing as this is a site about technology, but maybe "The Road Less Travelled" or something else in the psychological self-help line would be more appropriate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rivett View Post
    But I'm sure that is nothing to do with the results of his study. And since the statistics must unmistakeably support his conclusions, it won't be long before there are other studies and of course peer reviews, confirming them.

*crickets*

Still, he's been a very good boy and is sure to get a gold star from all those public-spirited folks at the UN and elsewhere who are obsessed with disarming the residents of the Western World.

I see we've got a couple of candidates for the "Broken Record Award" here: the Gussy & Miguel Show. You fellas seem to have some issues alright, barely sublimated anger being projected all over the place.

Go read a book maybe?

I'd suggest something like Oswald Spengler seeing as this is a site about technology, but maybe "The Road Less Travelled" or something else in the psychological self-help line would be more appropriate.

Hmmm...
    You ask questions...
    You provide no answers...
    Rebut no points...
    You attack both the source an the individual presenting the source.

So...a meaningless post, nothing but fallacies.

Again...
    If the opposite position had any validity don’t you think the NRA could fund the study?
    Instead they offer only whispers and ad hominem...like yourself.

How does it make you feel to be wrong and have nothing but fallacies and falsehoods to respond...yet still be wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get the hell outa Dodge City. Waving a gun in the air as a deterrent? Jeez