What's new
What's new

Degrees that work -Advanced Manufacturing (video)

Commiserate is what the folks here do all day. I think you meant "commensurate".
I'll take your word for it ;) Reminds me, a friend of mine named Doug, his wife had a birthday cake made and when she picked it up it said "Happy Birthday Dug"

Two things the Internet has taught me:

People who correct spelling & grammar mistakes had best be on guard for same in their own post. Been guilty of that myself once or twice. :rolleyes5:

The folks who decorate cakes make frequent and hilarious mistakes:

Funny Stuff! Daily Updates!

Back on topic: I think there's growing awareness that the maintenance of world-class machining and manufacturing ability is a strategic national asset. I hope we are seeing the beginning of the renaissance.

AG

Interestingly enough, I was the student featured in that video. Had a blast with that project, it taught me alot and I believe that it helped me land the job that I have now (and have had since graduating). BTW, that was actually a 428 chain, I never thought that it would not be heavy enough. What other thoughts did you guys have on the video?

Lance

Lance,

It looked like a lot of fun.

I think you guys should spend a bit more time on driving skills (I'm not saying the drivers were bad). But, a really good driver could play a big factor in some of the events.

Interestingly enough, I was the student featured in that video. Had a blast with that project, it taught me alot and I believe that it helped me land the job that I have now (and have had since graduating). BTW, that was actually a 428 chain, I never thought that it would not be heavy enough. What other thoughts did you guys have on the video?

Lance

Great job!

Those sorts of competitions for students kick ass. I did one in high school and learned a lot.

What would you say were the reasons the winning team won? I hate when it's the guys with the most money or when it's obvious professionals desined/made the car.

My son went to Penn College for toolmaking, he worked on the Baja car while there. Now he has a job at Lafayette College as a technician in the engineering dept and one of his responsibilities is the Formula 1 car that Lafayette competes with.

Who won that year? Oregon state (my alma-matter) won for several years around that time frame... as a participant in the FSAE team for a short time, I can say that professionals DID design our car and baja buggy - the students who ran that team and designed them were as professional a race team I've ever seen. No company did any design work for us, though the geartrain manufacturing was farmed out.

Ill try and go in order

screensnot -You are definitely right, seat time is very important with those cars. The courses are designed to break cars (ours did), and I believe that the driver has a lot to do with if the car breaks or not. We did not beat our car in testing nearly as hard as we should have, and it showed. Live and learn. The team now tries to have the car done at least a month beforehand and train drivers (I think they starve them year round as well :))

CPT Crunch - You may have a point, the rear sprocket carrier was kind of a hokey setup, it had a kind of spline/bore setup that kept the sprocket concentric with the axle. The the carrier was pretty narrow, and it may have been wearing out as the endurance race went along. I didn't go back in the fall semester, so I never got a chance to figure it out. Thanks

John Welden - Thank you. I put a pile of work into that project. In my opinion, I would have to say that the top teams have alot of competition experience. You just seem to learn so much from year to year, the good ideas stick and the bad ones go away. In just my short time (3 years) we got much better/smarter when it came to the competition, I can only imagine what 10 or more years would do. I thought we always brought one of the nicest cars to the competition as far as fit/finish/construction, but that only goes so far with the judges.

2lmaker - Is your boy Rob? If so, I had quite a few classes with him. Haven't talked to him in a while, I should.

Cornilsn - I honestly have no idea who won that year. I can remember Oregon was always near the top though. Their FSAE team is pretty quick as well, no? As a machining based program, we did not have the design capabilities as some of the other schools do, our MO was mostly build something that made sense and looked good when it was done. We did draw some of the suspension and driveline parts up, but mostly for the pickup points for the numbers we wanted to hit.

Ill try and go in order

"2lmaker - Is your boy Rob? If so, I had quite a few classes with him. Haven't talked to him in a while, I should."

Yes Rob is my son. I forwarded your video to him. He said you are " one sharp cookie" He really enjoyed time he had around the Baja car. If you need contact info PM me

His degree from PCT was a major factor in him being hired at Lafayette College, one of the techs graduated from WAC (Williamsport Area College which became Penn College of Technology)

My youngest son goes to Elizabethtown College for engineering and would love to have something like Baja team to work on.

Back