What's new
What's new

Pre Fab High Rise

And one wonders how long the pre-fab and engineering time were? As in, they prepared for, say, 3 years, and then erected the building itself in 360 hours.

Of course, if it's a *model* hotel, one could imagine that new ones could be built pretty quickly (site work for each site, some amount of lead time on the prefab parts, etc.)

And one also wonders how maintence and refurb on a such a building will be in 5 to 15 years.... (Of course the furniture, flooring, etc. may all have been isntalled in very conventional fashion.)

I am sure that there was lots of design and planning lead time along with manufacturing time for the modules.

I would expect the quality would be as good or better as "stick built" as the floor modules were probably built in jigs at the factory. This might avoid swinging a beam up 20 stories and finding the connecting holes don't match.

In the early part of the video, it looks as though each module has the floor and ceiling applied, along with the electrical, plumbing, and HVAC ducts installed.

Murphy's Law still applies, and I'm sure early in the construction something didn't fit, and there was a lot of screaming and hollering while everything came to a screeching halt, until the problem was fixed.

My daughter is an architect, very good at detail work. Early in her career she was given the task of fixing the drawings on a multi-story building where the architect did not pay attention to placing the toilets, stair wells, utility chases, elevators, etc. above each other on each floor. It took her about 6 weeks, with a lot of bitching and moaning about the incompetence of (male) hot shot architects.

Paul

I like it, and it's obvious it's also MODULAR, meaning buildings within it's design loading's
don't need to be engineered for each job.

I'm suprised that they didn't take the pre-building to whole boxes, instead
of just floors.

Houses around here are pre-fab as complete boxes.

This is nothing new! In 1968, just before Hemisfair '69 in San Antonio, Texas, an entire hotel was constructed this way. Every room was constructed offsite and trucked in, raised into position with a crane, and concrete poured to make the hallways. The 18 floor hotel is still in great condition today (a Hilton). The rooms were complete before they were trucked in - even the TV sets, beds and furniture were in each one. H.B. Zachry was the contractor. Time and space were at a premium at the time. Google the Hilton Palacio del Rio hotel. A.T.

As is often the case, the comments on the video are more entertaining than the video itself ;)

What does "Magnitude 9 earthquake resistant" mean? :)

As is often the case, the comments on the video are more entertaining than the video itself ;)

What does "Magnitude 9 earthquake resistant" mean? :)

You SHOULD be able to crawl thru the twisted wreakage, after the 'quake.

We don't think it will completely vaporize.....

Back