What's new
What's new

What makes the country you live in great?

converterking

Stainless
Today I woke up at 5:00 am, checked emails and started planning my day. I started thinking how lucky I was to live in the USA. Today I will be working about 3 hours on customer jobs and then will go to a dragstrip about 40 minutes from my house. A good friend of mine had his dragster parked for 8 years while he took care of family business. He just put it back together and I set it up it up with modern electronic controls. It makes between 2,500 and 3,000 horsepower. We tested it last weekend with some very positive results. After more testing today we will be leaving Thursday for a PDRA race in Indy and be returning Sunday. After I return from the race track today, I will take my wife out for dinner and we will go out and listen to some live music. What are other members doing and why do you like where you live?

Not much. Switzerland was a poor country, actually still is. We have granite and water. No ores, no coal, no oil, no gas, no access to the sea. Many Swiss emigrated. Between the 19th century when so many things were invented, everybody participated in a build-up, and the last 30 years that brought us immigrants not from Italy or Spain or Portugal but from regions where Christianity is a disease, there were three or four lucky generations. They made everything this country was famous for. It’s all gone. On a human note society sucks terribly. Like everywhere the carpet cast has turned against the rest. Resurrection of feudalism. No, this land dictated by robbers, liars, and traitors is not great. They call themselves bankers, lawyers, sociologists.

Mechanola, what is an average day like for you? What do you do for entertainment? This is not a negative thread, I am just trying to find out what other members lives are like.

This has nothing to do with Gordon. This is about the lifestyles of machinist type people around the world. By what I read about Denmark I would find life very boring there.

Not much. Switzerland was a poor country, actually still is. We have granite and water. No ores, no coal, no oil, no gas, no access to the sea. Many Swiss emigrated. Between the 19th century when so many things were invented, everybody participated in a build-up, and the last 30 years that brought us immigrants not from Italy or Spain or Portugal but from regions where Christianity is a disease, there were three or four lucky generations. They made everything this country was famous for. It’s all gone. On a human note society sucks terribly. Like everywhere the carpet cast has turned against the rest. Resurrection of feudalism. No, this land dictated by robbers, liars, and traitors is not great. They call themselves bankers, lawyers, sociologists.

But at least your flag's a big plus.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

If you want to read that the U. S. are great, I can pass over my compliments to some products. Right now I’m having a Bell & Howell Double Run Filmo 8 disassembled near me. I happen to know a good number of film motion-picture cameras exactly, Beaulieu, Zeiss-Ikon, Eumig, Eastman-Kodak, Revere, Paillard-Bolex, Arnold & Richter, now these are the best. If you want to hear about some entertainment of mine: I do research on how the movie business came into being. That’s more than entertaining.

Maybe I’m a poor chap because I can’t just live on simple entertainment like bottle of beer in one hand and remote control in the other. Don’t drink alcohol since 2012, never smoked. Blue Bayou is not my thing. I find it much more rewarding to discover ideas in half forgotten apparatus. Maybe I’m a rich man because I can take pleasure in overhauling cinema gear and joy out of communicating with everybody in this forum—in your language. There are not so many Americans communicating with European fellows in one of their languages.

A joke for reconcilement: A couple on their honeymoon trip were about to make love in their Pullman sleeper berth, when they wondered if they might make a baby that very night. But that led to an argument over sending the child to Harvard or Princeton. Finally a voice came from the lower berth. “Why don’t you just stick it in her ass and send the result to Yale?”

A joke for reconcilement: A couple on their honeymoon trip were about to make love in their Pullman sleeper berth, when they wondered if they might make a baby that very night. But that led to an argument over sending the child to Harvard or Princeton. Finally a voice came from the lower berth. “Why don’t you just stick it in her ass and send the result to Yale?”

Guessing you applied to Yale and got rejected? :D

I agree.....

Today I woke up at 5:00 am, checked emails and started planning my day. I started thinking how lucky I was to live in the USA. Today I will be working about 3 hours on customer jobs and then will go to a dragstrip about 40 minutes from my house. A good friend of mine had his dragster parked for 8 years while he took care of family business. He just put it back together and I set it up it up with modern electronic controls. It makes between 2,500 and 3,000 horsepower. We tested it last weekend with some very positive results. After more testing today we will be leaving Thursday for a PDRA race in Indy and be returning Sunday. After I return from the race track today, I will take my wife out for dinner and we will go out and listen to some live music. What are other members doing and why do you like where you live?

Hello Converterking
Puppy dogs, 'n' kittens, 'n' unicorns, 'n' rainbows.:cool:

Hello Converterking
Puppy dogs, 'n' kittens, 'n' unicorns, 'n' rainbows.:cool:

It is a lot of hard work. We made some changes Saturday that made more horsepower and was too much for the torque converter. I spent most of my Sunday building a different torque converter. We will be going to Indy Thursday with a new and untested tuneup. But at least we have the chance to do what we enjoy. I hear a lot of comments from other people on what the government gives them for free, but I never hear what they do for excitement.

I hear a lot of comments from other people on what the government gives them for free, but I never hear what they do for excitement.

Build boats, make all sorts of stuff from metals and timber, destroy other stuff, write software, stir shit on PM & other forums.

It's all good.....

PDW

You also....

..Sit astride major trade and travel routes that predate modern man, including the ability to have become major producers of electrical and rail power systems and marine diesel engines that had to be barged 900 miles down the Rhine river to the sea.

..Have a great many things other folks are so interested in seeing that they have come as tourists for hundreds of years..

..Had a very long history of fighting other peoples wars. Until one day you no longer did that. Or any other wars.

..Made it clear fighting the Swiss was not really a good idea. Hitler's OKW planned it. Not once. TWICE. Couldn't make the math work in their favor, either time - did something else instead..

..Created possibly the most practical and effective form of government on-planet. OK .. not "perfect". But who is in SECOND place?

Yes, I am "more than aware" of the shortcomings and limitations as well.

But so, too are the pragmatic SWISS. Realists. Damned few illusions.

And that is a great strength of theirs, too.

What do I like about here – Denmark? If I listed what I don’t like it’d be a very short post but I’ll stick to “like”.

Not in priority as they are all important.

“Free” healthcare.
5 weeks paid annual vacation
Safe although some may regard that as boring
A wage for a 37 hour work week is ALWAYS enough to live on.
College and university is not only free, students get paid.
Etc., etc., etc.

Added:
Can't believe I left this out but probably because I take it for granted :)
Beautiful women and they are also intelligent.

Denmark, although not always 1st, is invariably in the top 3 of the worlds “happiest countries”. Personally I don’t like the use of the word “happy” as I consider “content” closer to the truth.

It is amusing that some seem to get infuriated when I post videos about Denmark without even considering the fact that they aren’t even made by Danes. More often than not by obviously envious Americans LOL

Of course we aren’t perfect but I’d be hard pushed to find another country I’d prefer to live in. Maybe Norway?

Living Danishly: inspiring ideas from the world's happiest country - YouTube

Of course I know our lifestyle isn’t one all would want but it is what I want so I’m very content.

Last edited:
He wouldn't dare.

Put your money where your mouth is and find a single post by me where I insult the USA. I'd say you should have enough posts to choose from so it shouldn't be hard.

My comments on Trump don't count as he's making all Americans look bad although only 1/3 of the voters voted for him..

As I've written in the past, I no longer believe that my country, the United States, is great. Ours is a country who cares little for the poor and disadvantaged. It is a country that does not provide basic health care for its citizens, like the rest of the industrialized world. Our country is led by a degenerate profiteer who uses the highest office in the land to advance his personal business interests.

Our country in recent months has destroyed decades of goodwill with our European neighbours. We have become the laughing-stock of the world. Rather than taking the lead and environmental protection the United States joins Syria in refusing to carry out its responsibilities under the Paris Accord.

I spend the better part of my day investigating places other than the United States to live. I'm considering several places in Europe and in South America. Point being I'm leaving the United States as soon as I'm able. The only reason I am not living today in Denmark or Norway or Sweden is because there are some immigration hoops I have to jump through. But one way or another I'll work it out.

It breaks my heart to leave the country of my birth. There are so many things I love about my country. Unfortunately the bad now outweighs the good.

Here are some things that I'll Miss.

Thanksgiving with pumpkin pie. Budweiser. Top Fuel racing. Hunting pheasants in South Dakota and geese off the Maryland shore. Fishing especially for stripers. Old pickup trucks. Cowboy boots and fruit of the Loom one pocket t-shirts. Old Dodge Power Wagons. Indian tacos. Rock and roll. Guys like Pat Travers, George Thorogood, BB King, Johnny Winter. Bands like Molly Hatchet, the Foo Fighters, 38 Special, Alabama, Charlie Daniels Band, Allman Brothers, and so many other American artists, alive and dead. Snowfall in the Ozark Foothills, Christmas time in New York City, Texas Longhorns football, Dallas Cowboys, LA Lakers, Texas Rangers and Atlanta Braves. A cup of black coffee at Boomarang Diner in Tahlequah Oklahoma. The catfish ain't bad either.

I will miss all these things and so much more. Nothing would make me so happy as to see America made great again.

Squire

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Tahlequah OK

Back