What is the most important when you purchase products? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

2,4,1 Money is saved if buy a good tool first rather than 3 or 4 cheap ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

how to pay for it.if you can,t finance it out of your back pocket you don,t need it. i am dept free going to stay that way. this country thinks nothing about buying a car for 50.000-70.000 dollars finance . gets repossessed when the Chinese call in the dept where done

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cammer View Post
    how to pay for it.if you can,t finance it out of your back pocket you don,t need it. i am dept free going to stay that way. this country thinks nothing about buying a car for 50.000-70.000 dollars finance . gets repossessed when the Chinese call in the dept where done
    Care to run that past me again in English?

4. Likes MotoX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I buy a product I care to consider the following-( not necessarily in particular order)-
    1. price
    2. design & ergonomics
    3. fit&finish
    4. texture
    5. reliability ( or data available about it, such as consumer reports)
    6. durability
    7. life cycle( for how long do I plan to have it in usage?)
    8. application frequency ( how often will I use it)
    9. depreciation
    10. maintenance costs or added costs ( electricity, additional training, etc.)
    11. level of necessity and indispensability ( is it an enertainment item or a work related item that can increase my productivity)
    12. bang for the buck ratio( value)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would say that Service and availability of spare parts and price of spare parts are important when we purchase products.Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JMC View Post
    If you have to question what it means to have a "quality" product is then your understanding of the English language needs a bit of help. Maybe if I used the prefix "good" then would it help? Or were you assuming that I meant "shit quality"?
    Got sucked back into this thread again.

JMC i'd rate your snotty answer as "shit quality". Just because you think something has "quality" doesn't mean anyone else shares your opinion. OTOH maybe most do. If you (or anyone else) can't state what they like or dislike about a product then using the word "quality" becomes meaningless.

I've got a feeling you haven't read many of the post in this thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Guo View Post
    I just want to know some idea about product requirements for you guys.because we just trying do some real products in China.not cheap crap any more!! . . .
    Figuring out customer requirements is something I did for a living. Won't gather any credibility given your Lenovo experience, but the initial ThinkPad was among my projects (along with earth movers, trucks, cars, appliances, CAD programs, medical scanners, etc.).

Frankly, the idea that people have some fixed order of priorities is likely to lead you astray.

Best way to think about it is that people make comparisons, but also have some simple heuristics to simplify the task. Those heuristics might include such things as "price under $10,000," "spindle speed at least 10,000 rpm" and for some "no cheap import crap." Customers have minimum requirements you need to meet to even be considered and others that help you beat the competition.

At the end of the day you need to beat (in their mind) the best competing alternative. With many machine tools, that includes used machines. Note also that the condition and quality of a used machine that someone can see and run may beat the claims of quality of a new imported machine that no one has seen or run. Somehow you'll have to demonstrate that quality (something dealer networks used to do).

There's little question that people would pay a bit more for higher quality and reliability. Actually delivering and convincing folks of that higher quality will likely be your challenge. Right now US buyers have been conditioned to have very low expectations of entire categories of Chinese products from drill bits to mill drills. Lots of ways you might demonstrate improvement -- but that's a whole 'nother question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sfriedberg View Post
    Jimmy, there're a couple of important considerations missing from your list, and those are "features" and "value".
    Value! That was exactly I was going to say.
    Most of us cannot afford multi million dollar machines that just do everything in "Just make it for me" mode with every bell and whistle.
    I personally believe it doesn't come down to price/service etc, but the entire package.
    I have -THIS MUCH- to spend, who will give me the most VALUE for my money. If your budget is up to 100K, i'd shop around, be willing to spend 100k, but for that 100k I wanna see who's going to actually "Work" for me, to give me the very best my money can buy.
    Unexpectedly, that has on many occasions been the Chinese!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see this question as a "cost of ownership" issue, which also implies a timespan for use of the item being purchased. The ownership cost really rolls a lot of this into an integrated package, and as such, many of the factors such as quality/price/service/supplier/national origin are mixed together by most buyers to come up with the answer to "What is the best value?"
    Consider the comparison of buying either Haas or Matsuura VMC for milling GLASS. Matsuura machine tools are viewed as high quality, you pay for that, and they would probably do a fine job (better than Haas) out of the box, and maybe last a bit longer. On the other hand, Haas machines are viewed as acceptable quality by most, would last almost as long, but cost considerably less. The lifetime for both is likely a few years in THAT application. The incremental performance improvement (and ultimate value, or cost of ownership advantage) for purchasing the Matsuura is likely not going to be seen in that situation. So, as others have noted, the value statement is very important, and related very much to expectations of lifetime (time factor). Every situation is different, and highly dependent on specific application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quality, which I am willing to pay more for... and 'made in the US', which I am also willing to pay more for. Unfortunately, I'm a minority.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Chinese is perceived as trash...if you want to change that it will take more than a good product. It will take superior technical support. Frankly excellent English and boots on the ground to respond. Hell, hire out of work Americans at the call centers and give them good support. Supply quality spares 2 UPS zones away.
    You WILL have to make something better than the typical 'kit' we expect when buying a Chinese machine tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dave66 View Post
    Quality, which I am willing to pay more for... and 'made in the US', which I am also willing to pay more for. Unfortunately, I'm a minority.
    Me too. Eklund makes nice hex keys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had an amusing inquiry recently on this subject.
    I have a friend who is chinese/american, and she has gotten VERY into Tai Chi- to the point where she is working with the best Master in the US, and, more recently, one of the best Masters in China. She spends months each year in China, and the guys she studies with trace their training back centuries, Master to Master.

She has asked me to make her some bronze tips for Wishu training spears, for the Master in China- because the chinese ones he can buy are crappy.

So we have come to the point where the Chinese wont buy Chinese products because of quality issues.

It will be a favor, I wont make any money, but it will make me amused to know that the big dogs are using american made parts, for something that SHOULD be at the very heart of Chinese cultural pride to make the best in the world…

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    I had an amusing inquiry recently on this subject.
    I have a friend who is chinese/american, and she has gotten VERY into Tai Chi- to the point where she is working with the best Master in the US, and, more recently, one of the best Masters in China. She spends months each year in China, and the guys she studies with trace their training back centuries, Master to Master.

She has asked me to make her some bronze tips for Wishu training spears, for the Master in China- because the chinese ones he can buy are crappy.

So we have come to the point where the Chinese wont buy Chinese products because of quality issues.

It will be a favor, I wont make any money, but it will make me amused to know that the big dogs are using american made parts, for something that SHOULD be at the very heart of Chinese cultural pride to make the best in the world…
    Make sure you put a 'Made in USA' stamp on them.

16. Likes jrmach liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At least this on a bag.
    usa.jpg

18. Likes camscan liked this post
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I buy cost-effective products no matter where it is made, and most of time, I can't afford American-made products and other imported ones. I buy things mainly on Alibaba, Taobao, Tmall or Jingdong. I know you American guys make quality products, but it doesn't mean there is no high-quality products in China. When I buy something, firstly I search with priority of sales, choose several, evaluate for material and workmanship, read comments from users, then narrow to select some. After that, I search with priority of price, make decision what to buy.

20. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Country
    MOLDOVA, REPUBLIC OF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quality & Origin

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The size of the kickback.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1,Price 2,Quality 3, Service 4,Origin 5,Company 6, others
    Welcome to share the story you guys interested in.
    There is a problem with doing business with China. The quality varies so much which is proportionate to price. Some goods made in China for the U.S. market are not available in China with the same quality. China is more than capable of manufacturing quality but greed is the problem with both manufacturer and buyer. Example : A buyer purchases a number of items and quickly sells them in the U.S. He reorders a larger quantity and requests a better price from the manufacturer which is a normal way of doing business in the U.S. For the Chinese manufacturer to supply more quantity at a reduced price, the quality suffers. It's common knowledge that in some areas of manufacturing in China there are at least five grades of quality depending on price. The end user is always frustrated because he never knows what kind of quality he will get when he buys Chinese goods.
    Last edited by coupeute; 05-10-2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: sentance correction

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Patriotism is a kind of choice when you buying sth,just like me ,i had to buy a computer.After comparing several brands of computers,i chose LENOVO. The result is I regret it after use it, i swear i will not depends on country.not buy LENOVO any more.that's my real story
    One of the times I went to China I wanted something special for the guy I know best. I knew he was fond of coffee so decided to take him a coffee machine. So, took my wife shopping with me as she knows more about that kind of thing than I do. Into a large store known for having quality items and, lo and behold, 10 coffee machines all with well known brands on them. Looked at the one I liked best, after a nod from my wife , and on the bottom was written "Made in China". Turned out that only one of the 10 wasn't made in China although all were well known brands. Ended up buying the only one not "Made in China". Didn't like it at all as it was "Made in France" but bought it anyway. Also took 1 kg of coffee and that obviously wasn't from Denmark either.

Now, when I take presents to China, I make sure they are "Made in Denmark". I regard that more as a "personal touch" rather than "nationalistic". Is your Lenova computer exactly the same as one you could buy outside China?
    Lenova have a good reputation here. My brother has one he likes. No mine are (plural) Acer