Why is GE being dissasembled - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    GE is the number one locomotive builder over Caterpillar's Progress Rail's division now called Electro-Motive Diesel.

GE did move their US locomotive manufacturing from Erie, PA to Texas a few years ago...just recently Erie has shut down completely. Why? Unions I'm sure played a part.

EMD hasn't sold a new diesel locomotive in the United States in almost 3 years. Why? Their original 2-cycle diesel motor (a proven design for decades) could not meet Tier-4 emissions requirements, and they have been desperately trying to prove out a new 4-cycle engine.

EMD has survived the last 3 years by selling new locomotives outside the US, and by rebuilding older locomotives -- which are not required to meet the Tier-4 standard. It's a good thing for EMD that Caterpillar has a longer-term view about marginal divisions than General Electric does.

Funny how a "well-intending" government regulation has nearly put one of the only two locomotive manufacturers in America out of business.

The railroads obviously do not want that, as GE could then really put the screws to them.

ToolCat
    Really ? No more plant in Erie ?

WOW !

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    ...bankruptcy if you ask me is just legal way of not paying 100% of what is owed.
    Worked for Donald Trump.

Thirteen times.

3. Likes Milland liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GE Closes also some turbine factories here in Switzerland. They were originally the pristine and world-renowned Brown Boveri Cie. (BBC) which became ABB Asea-Brown-Boveri and later bought by the french Alstom Group. Not long ago GE bought it and now they close the production plants. A piece of swiss industrial history gone. They also closed some turbine factories in Germany.
    Deindustrialisation, digitalisation and robotorisation will bring us a pristine future...

6. Likes sable, Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    Ok, GE quits the loco business and EMD can't meet emissions. Who overseas wants to take control of the nation's railroads? China? They are rapidly upgrading their system from coal fired locos.

Tom
    Maybe CAT should buy the GE loco division... then they'd have a viable product to sell. I think that GM sold EMD when they realized that they had been coasting on an old engine design for a loooong time, and their venerable two stroke cycle engine was at the end of its design life.

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Modelman View Post
    Maybe CAT should buy the GE loco division... then they'd have a viable product to sell. I think that GM sold EMD when they realized that they had been coasting on an old engine design for a loooong time, and their venerable two stroke cycle engine was at the end of its design life.

Dennis
    I'm pretty sure (don't quote me on this) that EMD has dropped
    the 2-stroke design several years ago, and has a successful 4 cycle design.

Making it to meet tier 4 is a different matter.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Modelman View Post
    I think that GM sold EMD when they realized that they had been coasting on an old engine design for a loooong time, and their venerable two stroke cycle engine was at the end of its design life.
    Hey ! That venerable two-stroke still works fine ! Same power, same economy as four-stroke. It's just dirty

But they shut Erie ? really ? Friend of mine drives trains, he hates EMD's because of the noise. This is gonna make a bunch of people unhappy

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC Mech View Post
    The OP of this thread posited a reasonable question regarding *why* GE could be in such dire straits, and Wes offered his direct experiences with the company which indicate practises that strangle the firm's ability to operate.

I realise this is the subforum where good ideas go to die (or in the case of one malignant tumour of an OP, are never conceived) but let's not abort this thread too early.
    Who would that be i lol'd

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lobito View Post
    GE Closes also some turbine factories here in Switzerland. They were originally the pristine and world-renowned Brown Boveri Cie. (BBC) which became ABB Asea-Brown-Boveri and later bought by the french Alstom Group. Not long ago GE bought it and now they close the production plants. A piece of swiss industrial history gone. They also closed some turbine factories in Germany.
    Deindustrialisation, digitalisation and robotorisation will bring us a pristine future...
    An interesting perspective on the GE purchase of Alsthom: Behind GE’s Takeover of Alstom Energy [long, but worth the read].

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As to the quoted article. It all makes sense, if I allow myself a little bit of confirmation bias, as an affected party. There are a couple of things in Alstom's recent history that aren't mentioned (like the company becoming bankrupt due to its maritime sector selling a couple of cruise liners to customers that went bankrupt, without any credit guarantees...).

The whole event hasn't benefitted GE or Alstom long term and has f*cked many of the (ex) employees. The only gain in the entire deal is that it has caused further consolidation in the world power generation manufacturing sector. This will have benefitted players in China, India and Japan, but not the participents of the deal.

In the meantime Alstom has agreed to merge with the transport division of Siemens with control going to Siemens and the Alstom ex-CEO nominally in charge. More consolidation...

Disclosure of interest:- I started in GEC in the UK, ex BTH, AEI and English Electric. Became GEC-Alstom. Then Alstom. Then ABB-Alstom Power. Then Alstom. Then GE. Then redundant. This over a period of 40 years, in one town and two sites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Disclosure of interest:- I started in GEC in the UK, ex BTH, AEI and English Electric. Became GEC-Alstom. Then Alstom. Then ABB-Alstom Power. Then Alstom. Then GE. Then redundant. This over a period of 40 years, in one town and two sites.
    ....Jesus....

14. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got some GE stock in my portfolio. I traded some in a year ago around $34. Todays ending its at $17.88 (-2.19%). Kind of sucks with the DOW over 24k now. Probably have to get out from under it soon if it continues trending down.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr 98 View Post
    if it continues trending down.
    That's what im hoping for I need to do some serious DCA!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and then there is this....

General Electric plans to cut 12,000 jobs in its power division as the industrial conglomerate's new CEO institutes sweeping changes and the company grapples with a decline in business for coal and natural gas products.

The Boston-based company said Thursday that its GE Power unit would make the cuts. It was not immediately clear where and when the reductions would occur.
    GE job cuts: 12, positions in power division to be eliminated

and this

General Electric Co plans to cut 4,500 jobs in Europe, the first numbers to emerge on layoffs from the US industrial conglomerate since it outlined plans to restructure and shed units last month.

The cuts, which are linked to businesses GE bought from France's Alstom in 2015, will affect employees in Switzerland, Germany and Britain, said French newspaper Les Echos, which first reported the news on Tuesday.
    General Electric to cut 4,5 jobs in Europe: Source | Business Standard News

posted the same day... Its a sad state of affairs over there. what a shame. I really hope that ge9x does what its supposed to do. if it fails, or doesnt outsell the competition, you might be seeing the end of GE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More bad news ,GE Power Services to close Stafford UK works and reduce Rugby site.

The Stafford works was built in 1903 or thereabouts, Dynamos then Alternators for power stations across the world have been made and maintained there ever since ,a very sad day for the town!