Why we must go metric - cold turkey - now. - Page 53
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1060
  1. #1041
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    17,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3570
    Likes (Received)
    10305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Just trying to entertain yer dull and weary arse and fill your hole with soap.
    I suggest you try much harder.

    funny-stuff.jpg

  2. #1042
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5843
    Likes (Received)
    4594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I suggest you try much harder.

    funny-stuff.jpg
    Then which orifice .. er "Office" are you running for this go, Gordon?

    Czar of Global Health Scare seems to have come a cropper.

  3. #1043
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    17,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3570
    Likes (Received)
    10305

  4. #1044
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    17,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3570
    Likes (Received)
    10305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Then which orifice .. er "Office" are you running for this go, Gordon?

    Czar of Global Health Scare seems to have come a cropper.
    You referring to the thread I didn't start?

  5. #1045
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    185

    Default

    Holy War Against Inch has to start now, because it gets worse:

    Facebook Announces That It Has Invented a New Unit of Time - Slashdot

    You Americans shall pay for that abomination.

    I suggest that we cut everything measured in inches to same number of centimeters. Starting from... You know where !

    Only problem yet, how could we invade US ?

  6. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
  7. #1046
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Country
    CHINA
    Posts
    1,813
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madis Reivik View Post
    You Americans shall pay for that abomination.
    May as well. We already pay for every other abomination thought up by a bunch of twits in ivory towers.

  8. Likes Monarchist liked this post
  9. #1047
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5843
    Likes (Received)
    4594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madis Reivik View Post
    Only problem yet, how could we invade US ?
    Can't be all that hard, given the count of illegals we KNOW are here. Probably about half the REAL count, lest we forget. Seems that damned near ever country on-planet has several means that have worked.

    "Legals", too. Had a grade-school teacher with a Polish surname. Married lady, she informed us she was actually Lithuanian, Polish only "by injection", as she put it.

    Mind.. you WOULD have to learn the inch and settle for a hit of Metrifuckation only now and then, even if not the language.

    Might class that as the working man's nuclear option for how effective it has been at sieving out metrology terrorism.


  10. #1048
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    17,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3570
    Likes (Received)
    10305

    Default

    Today was the warmest January 24th recorded here in 144 years. 12.9 ºC.

    Yeps, with factual statistics then to one decimal place

  11. #1049
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    2,991
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6524
    Likes (Received)
    4587

    Default

    Once again: CNC controls don't care. Software performs its internal calculations to skatey-eight decimal places, way closer than the mechanical elements of a machine tool will execute. It doesn't really matter whether you input the control builder's native units or let the control compute the conversion into sacred cubits or whatever—in absolute terms the limitation is acceleration/deceleration/stop/repeat, as closely as the machine is able under real-world cutting conditions. Your parts are either good or they are not good, the same as it has always been.

    An antiquated controversy if there ever were one.

  12. #1050
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,564
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2551
    Likes (Received)
    2912

    Default

    Janie asked me “what is 64 cm?, what is 39 cm?..38cm?..
    I told her then asked...
    Why are you asking this?
    Oh this stupid web site for Jeans..
    And she gave up…
    The web site lost perhaps a few hundred dollars order.
    Just saying hard nose to metric is not always best

  13. #1051
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    4,029
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3772
    Likes (Received)
    3592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madis Reivik View Post
    Holy War Against Inch has to start now, because it gets worse:

    Facebook Announces That It Has Invented a New Unit of Time - Slashdot

    You Americans shall pay for that abomination.

    I suggest that we cut everything measured in inches to same number of centimeters. Starting from... You know where !

    Only problem yet, how could we invade US ?
    Oh, you could invade the U.S. but you'd face a "metric reception".

    5.56, 7.62, 9, etc.

    Might even be a few inch holdovers.

    .30, .38, .357, .45 etc.

  14. Likes camscan, digger doug liked this post
  15. #1052
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    17,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3570
    Likes (Received)
    10305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Janie asked me “what is 64 cm?, what is 39 cm?..38cm?..
    I told her then asked...
    Why are you asking this?
    Oh this stupid web site for Jeans..
    And she gave up…
    The web site lost perhaps a few hundred dollars order.
    Just saying hard nose to metric is not always best
    I can understand why women would prefer inches to cm but for the same reason men prefer cm to inches

    Clothing Size Conversion Charts

    Of course after seeing the size of some American women I can understand why they like "small" numbers.

    List of countries by body mass index - Wikipedia

  16. #1053
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    17,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3570
    Likes (Received)
    10305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Oh, you could invade the U.S. but you'd face a "metric reception".

    5.56, 7.62, 9, etc.

    Might even be a few inch holdovers.

    .30, .38, .357, .45 etc.
    Remind me again why you think the USA needs a bigger military?

  17. #1054
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    11,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    41
    Likes (Received)
    4966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Oh, you could invade the U.S. but you'd face a "metric reception".

    5.56, 7.62, 9, etc.

    Might even be a few inch holdovers.

    .30, .38, .357, .45 etc.
    Don't forget gauge...
    12, 16, 20...

  18. #1055
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,564
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2551
    Likes (Received)
    2912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I can understand why women would prefer inches to cm but for the same reason men prefer cm to inches

    Clothing Size Conversion Charts

    Of course after seeing the size of some American women I can understand why they like "small" numbers.

    List of countries by body mass index - Wikipedia
    Thanks Gordon but Janie is a 4 dress and I don't see 4 on the chart

  19. #1056
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    11,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    41
    Likes (Received)
    4966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Thanks Gordon but Janie is a 4 dress and I don't see 4 on the chart
    That depends entirely on the brand.

  20. #1057
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5843
    Likes (Received)
    4594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Remind me again why you think the USA needs a bigger military?
    Automation serves for short attention span redress, Gordon.

    Program your computer as your friend:

    Breath IN....Breath OUT.. Bre..

    .. uh this isn't going to work.

    D'you have a seat cushion with some sort of VENT in it?

  21. Likes digger doug liked this post
  22. #1058
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    11,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    41
    Likes (Received)
    4966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Remind me again why you think the USA needs a bigger military?
    For the same reason turnip does.

  23. #1059
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,564
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2551
    Likes (Received)
    2912

  24. #1060
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    FINLAND
    Posts
    1,135
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    299
    Likes (Received)
    535

    Default

    How can you live with the use of "microMETER" (french fries vs freedom fries..)
    Maybe you should rename it to "microinch". But micro also implies something in decimal count.. better use multiples of 12. How about inch divided by "great gross" or 12x12x12=1728

    GGIFGI or Great Gross Inch Fractions Gauge Instrument. I want one.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •