What's new
What's new

WSJ article, Bloomington Ill machine shop

yet another example of a crap company wanting the world of an employee, and offering peanuts in return.....$13/hour for a skilled tradesman??? :nutter:

I suppose $13/hr. is about right. Most places in 'the People's Republic of ILL.' start at $7.00/hr. Why offer more when there are so many out of work? Somewhere someone will jump at the job, the company just has to wait for that guy. Skilled? I wonder how many of those are still around. I would think any skilled are working for themselves or retired. But then, I'm no expert at the things.

I'm not in Utah, so what i say on this may not apply. But $13 an hour for a "skilled tradesman" is an insult. Would be more then a constant struggle to support a small family here, and a small emergency would sink them. The article says that this company would see a 20% increase in sales if they could find the 40 workers needed. So instead of kicking a little of that boost in sales/profits down to its workers, they spend extra money in a training course. I've never felt good about working for a company that "Nickel and dimes" me. The better a company treats it's workers, the better/more work they recieve in return for the wages paid.

I've been out of the trade for many years but it was hard for me to feel bad for the company owner when I saw he was crying about not finding "skilled machinests" for $13 an hour. Did anyone notice his picture? Didn't look like any shortage of food at his house.........Bob

How many years after the training course ends will it be before that employee is "skilled" If all it takes is running a unskilled worker through this course and a few months of polishing, then they dont need highly skilled employees by my definition

I suppose $13/hr. is about right. Most places in 'the People's Republic of ILL.' start at $7.00/hr. Why offer more when there are so many out of work? Somewhere someone will jump at the job, the company just has to wait for that guy. Skilled? I wonder how many of those are still around. I would think any skilled are working for themselves or retired. But then, I'm no expert at the things.

considering the very same article quotes a temp agency as paying 40+k a year for semi-skilled labor, 13/hr for highly skilled labor is an insult, and more than a little unrealistic. Why on earth would anyone in their right mind go work for less money, doing a harder job, and required (in most cases) to provide their own tools; when they have the option to go sit in an office all day, spend 1/2 their time surfing the 'net, not buy any tools, not get dirty for a living etc etc etc......

"Mr. Sperry sees extended jobless benefits as one of the main culprits behind his company's hiring difficulties."

The guy's either an asshole or a moron. The folks qualified to improve his bottom
line (shipping more product) look at that thirteen bucks and tell him to stuff it, out
of principle. Have fun not satisfying your customers mr sperry.

"Mr. Sperry sees extended jobless benefits as one of the main culprits behind his company's hiring difficulties."

The guy's either an asshole or a moron. The folks qualified to improve his bottom
line (shipping more product) look at that thirteen bucks and tell him to stuff it, out
of principle. Have fun not satisfying your customers mr sperry.

If they were facing homelessness, that thirteen bucks would look pretty damn good.

Instead, they're facing another 12 months of grueling relaxation, collecting their jobless benefits.

Caterpillar Inc:

2008 data:
CAT $44,958,000,000 revenues and $3,541,000,000 profit

2007 data:
CEO Total compensation: $17,107,741

They've got 17 million to pay the CEO but can only swing $13 bucks an hour for a machinist. That's called pure greed.

It all comes down to income inequality and concentration of wealth at the very top. It didn't used to be nearly as bad bad 10, 20, 30+ years ago. America will be better off and grow faster with a strong middle class.

Too bad so many americans are stupid and lazy and allow this shit to happen. :angry:

The big shots don't understand who or what makes the money for the company.

Jeff

Of course they do....
And what about the workers who are represented by the same unions that the auto workers use?? Why dont they get better contracts?

If they were facing homelessness, that thirteen bucks would look pretty damn good.

Instead, they're facing another 12 months of grueling relaxation, collecting their jobless benefits.

Sooo all the qualified machinists in that area just got laid off yesterday ?? I don't think so, there should be some qualified people off of un- employment right now , 13.00 an hour is a fat bastard 's way of thinking, that don't make it right.
What do you pay for wages in your shop ???

Sooo all the qualified machinists in that area just got laid off yesterday ?? I don't think so, there should be some qualified people off of un- employment right now , 13.00 an hour is a fat bastard 's way of thinking, that don't make it right.
What do you pay for wages in your shop ???

I wouldn't put anything of importance into the hands of a person making $13.00/hour. But that doesn't mean I'm going to force other people to think the same way.

It's supply and demand. It will equal out as long as there's no outside influence. In this case, outside influence is the fact that jobless benefits have been extended, so people can make more money sitting on their ass, than by working for $13.00/hour.

I wouldn't put anything of importance into the hands of a person making $13.00/hour. But that doesn't mean I'm going to force other people to think the same way.

It's supply and demand. It will equal out as long as there's no outside influence. In this case, outside influence is the fact that jobless benefits have been extended, so people can make more money sitting on their ass, than by working for $13.00/hour.

Joe!
Joe!

Can you hear me?

You have fallen into the capitalist' trap, I'm here to help you!

I've been here before and there's no way to argue your way out. You are dealing with, what we call, The Obama Nation.

They only see company owners as the enemy. All owners are rich, and drive a Mercedes. They pay their employees a pittance while they eat lobsters off of their solid oak their desktops.

There is no way to talk any sense to them, let them wallow in their own self pitty and move on. Trust me, you'll sleep better.

Move on from here and go do what they hate the most:

Earn more profit!:cheers:

Caterpillar Inc:

2008 data:
CAT $44,958,000,000 revenues and $3,541,000,000 profit

2007 data:
CEO Total compensation: $17,107,741

They've got 17 million to pay the CEO but can only swing $13 bucks an hour for a machinist. That's called pure greed.

It all comes down to income inequality and concentration of wealth at the very top. It didn't used to be nearly as bad bad 10, 20, 30+ years ago. America will be better off and grow faster with a strong middle class.

Too bad so many americans are stupid and lazy and allow this shit to happen. :angry:

Cat has.......... Full Time Employees: 93,813

Key Executives
Pay Exercised
Mr. Douglas R. Oberhelman , 56
Vice Chairman and Chief Exec. Officer 996.00K 71.00K
Mr. Edward J. Rapp , 52
Chief Financial Officer 780.00K 2.75M
Mr. Steven H. Wunning , 58
Group Pres 994.00K 1.02M
Mr. Stuart L. Levenick , 56
Group Pres 994.00K 1.35M
Mr. Gerard R. Vittecoq , 61
Group Pres 1.22M 802.00K

Dollar amounts are as of Dec 31, 2009 and compensation values are for the last fiscal year ending on that date.Pay is salary, bonuses, etc.Exercised is the value of options exercised during the fiscal year.

Where did you get the 17 mil??... but even if were that here's what it costs

so $17,107,741 / 93813 = $182.36 per worker per YEAR...
what's that $4 a week?????? Morons

yeah... cut his pay in half and the workers get to take home less than a Ben Franklin after taxes for the YEAR !!!!

Not trying to argue here man, but this statement is a little "off". For someone to collect unemployment in the first place, they need to have worked for a certain amount of time. Not only that, but whatever they are getting as an unemployment check is based on what they made at the job they were laided off from. So if their making more then the $13/hr(Or there about) from unenploment, it's only because they made more then that at the job they worked in the first place. They don't just hand out fat checks for unenploment in my state, you have to have contributed as a tax payer for some time to qualify. I think most "Skilled workers" would rather earn their living, and take pride doing so. But insulting them at such a low wage while the Ceo is banking, is just pathetic.
I think it's only fair to add that i have only collected unemployment once for a month or so some years back when i was in my early 20's, so things could have changed by now. But in my opinion, most "skilled workers" or "tradespeople" take pride in their work. How can you have pride when your not valued for what your worth.

A female friend of mine works at a nursing home wiping asses and makes 12.20 an hour.

There isn't much of a gap between her pay and a 13.00 an hour skilled tradesman, is there?

Outside influence, how about outsourcing and increased automation for outside influence.

If you dont like the pay we will send it overseas or we will automate. I have seen mazaks plant in Kentucky. The only thing they dont outsource is the overpayed CEO.

Thank you to the US trade policy and lack of industrial policy. We have had 2? 3? financial meltdowns in 10 years, all created by wall st in the quest for easy money. Vs investing in manufacturing (or just about anything productive) and slowly raising the bar for all. Vs destroying averything for everyone. Except themselves.

I felt the same way when it was the bush nation. Clinton also.

And it doesnt matter what the ceo's pay averages out to per employee.

It is called human nature. The ceo makes 17 mil (and frequently, if recent history is the judge, burn the company to the ground long term) and I took a pay cut to $13 an hour to actually do the work. Of course I wont be happy. Years ago I worked for a company that picked up a truckful of ex Glaxo chemists. Half pay through a temp agency. They quickly became disgruntled and sat around all day. Had to be fired or qalked out. Is it right? No, but it is what happened.

Back