What's new
What's new

wtf is wrong with people ?

I bet the guy never even tried to get done in the US. He just "knows" that china will do it for pennies.

Or maybe he cant find someone in the US. A friend had to go to china to get iron castings made. A Few (5ish tons) thousand pounds of 200lb iron castings. He said he couldnt find a US foundry that would work to such a "small" quantity. He did find patternmakers in the US. But did it all in china as it was easier to single source it. The patterns in china where less for labor and material then material in US.

The general population thinks that we do not have the ability to do any of this anymore.

Ironically with today's or even yesterday's technology things like this can be easily and affordably done.

We really do not know just what research the person did before placing the add in China. It is reasonable and prudent to make the query though, as long as this person did the same thing in the US and perhaps other locations as well. As far as foundries in the US, yes they exist, but not to the extent they once did. Remember, the Abrams battle tank's original design was with a cast gun turret, but that design had to be changed to a fabricated turret because no foundry existed in the US that could accommodate the original design and that was in 1968. I suspect foundries are even scarcer now, I also suspect that casting these dies is not the best nor most economical way to make these things today. Surely CAD/CAM/CNC is the way to go today.

I don't know what's wrong with people. You would think that after 1400-odd posts people would know enough to put meaningful titles on their threads.

George

There are plenty of know it all people that are looking for something for nothing- these are the same people that demand big money for themselves but want everyone else to kiss their rear begging for some pennies. He should try China- plenty of smart asses moved companies to China only to have their assets seized and loose it all in a land where corruption is standard and you can count on someone ripping off your product.

All he has are PDFs and Illustrator files for a 3D machining job and he can't understand why nobody has time to bother with him.

I make that stuff everyday. That is my main business. I get calls from people who want custom stuff and when I quote 200 dollars to make a die they say I can get it in china. I no longer even pursue any of this work. We make our own dies and sell them it is so much easier than dealing with people.

I see a problem ...

"I would like to find an individual or company in China that can make Brass embossing and Copper Foil dies like the examples shown in this post.
Company or individual should be able to:

4) Fabricate dies with the highest of quality and accuracy."

:rolleyes5:

Chinese manufacturing has come a long way, but I have yet to see a die made there that can claim this even without the "highest" modifier.

He doesn't appear to have vector files, apparently only graphic files. There is software to convert 2D graphics files to 3D vectors based on gray scales, not sure how good a job it does.

That's fine, the Chicoms are happy to make it up as they go along. If he complains what they made isn't what he wanted, their English will suddenly get very, very bad. He will, of course, have already paid before he gets to sample his dies.

I say, good riddance.

Dennis

That's fine, the Chicoms are happy to make it up as they go along. If he complains what they made isn't what he wanted, their English will suddenly get very, very bad. He will, of course, have already paid before he gets to sample his dies.

I say, good riddance.
Yup. Everything about this ad was so ridiculous ... it just shocked me that people could be that stupid.

But it seems like a remarkable number of people think that way ....

Back