Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default wtf is wrong with people ?

Nobody has a Bostomatic in the garage ? No one in the US can do this for a reasonable price ?

Brass embossing die maker - skilled trades/artisan

Or are y'all just hell-bent on suicide ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bet the guy never even tried to get done in the US. He just "knows" that china will do it for pennies.

Or maybe he cant find someone in the US. A friend had to go to china to get iron castings made. A Few (5ish tons) thousand pounds of 200lb iron castings. He said he couldnt find a US foundry that would work to such a "small" quantity. He did find patternmakers in the US. But did it all in china as it was easier to single source it. The patterns in china where less for labor and material then material in US.

3. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The general population thinks that we do not have the ability to do any of this anymore.

Ironically with today's or even yesterday's technology things like this can be easily and affordably done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    Nobody has a Bostomatic in the garage ? No one in the US can do this for a reasonable price ?

Brass embossing die maker - skilled trades/artisan

Or are y'all just hell-bent on suicide ?
    I think he'll find that that isn't the way to do business in China.

It'd be interesting if we could hear how that worked out for him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We really do not know just what research the person did before placing the add in China. It is reasonable and prudent to make the query though, as long as this person did the same thing in the US and perhaps other locations as well. As far as foundries in the US, yes they exist, but not to the extent they once did. Remember, the Abrams battle tank's original design was with a cast gun turret, but that design had to be changed to a fabricated turret because no foundry existed in the US that could accommodate the original design and that was in 1968. I suspect foundries are even scarcer now, I also suspect that casting these dies is not the best nor most economical way to make these things today. Surely CAD/CAM/CNC is the way to go today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know what's wrong with people. You would think that after 1400-odd posts people would know enough to put meaningful titles on their threads.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are plenty of know it all people that are looking for something for nothing- these are the same people that demand big money for themselves but want everyone else to kiss their rear begging for some pennies. He should try China- plenty of smart asses moved companies to China only to have their assets seized and loose it all in a land where corruption is standard and you can count on someone ripping off your product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I may be wrong but I think he needs more dies. I think he needs a positive and a negative of each. I only saw one set?
    Bill D

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All he has are PDFs and Illustrator files for a 3D machining job and he can't understand why nobody has time to bother with him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I make that stuff everyday. That is my main business. I get calls from people who want custom stuff and when I quote 200 dollars to make a die they say I can get it in china. I no longer even pursue any of this work. We make our own dies and sell them it is so much easier than dealing with people.

12. Likes Scottl, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see a problem ...

"I would like to find an individual or company in China that can make Brass embossing and Copper Foil dies like the examples shown in this post.
    Company or individual should be able to:

4) Fabricate dies with the highest of quality and accuracy."

Chinese manufacturing has come a long way, but I have yet to see a die made there that can claim this even without the "highest" modifier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The spec was "foil" dies, implying thin, easily formed material. All that's needed is a single female die and the proper durometer urethane pad to act as the male die.

He doesn't appear to have vector files, apparently only graphic files. There is software to convert 2D graphics files to 3D vectors based on gray scales, not sure how good a job it does.

Outfits like Vectric software provide various CAD files of the type the guy wants for use with their Vcarve package aimed mostly at users of low end CNC wood routers. Vectric's offerings are not quite as detailed as those shown.

Basically, what it comes down to is machine time. I've made dozens of not-so-detailed embossing dies of this type for jewelry makers. For short runs you can get away with aluminum or even acrylic. Once you have the vector file all it takes is hours and hours of run time, being foil you need a fine die finish otherwise tool marks show.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    He doesn't appear to have vector files, apparently only graphic files. There is software to convert 2D graphics files to 3D vectors based on gray scales, not sure how good a job it does.
    That's fine, the Chicoms are happy to make it up as they go along. If he complains what they made isn't what he wanted, their English will suddenly get very, very bad. He will, of course, have already paid before he gets to sample his dies.

I say, good riddance.

Dennis

16. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Modelman View Post
    That's fine, the Chicoms are happy to make it up as they go along. If he complains what they made isn't what he wanted, their English will suddenly get very, very bad. He will, of course, have already paid before he gets to sample his dies.

I say, good riddance.
    Yup. Everything about this ad was so ridiculous ... it just shocked me that people could be that stupid.

But it seems like a remarkable number of people think that way ....