What's new
What's new

Help with a quick and dirty broach

woodrim

Aluminum
I am looking for someone to quote me for a makeshift broach just to get through my immediate need while I sort out what I need to do for long term. You can familiarize yourself with my product here:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/future-expert-machinist-needing-advice-milling-shaping-311210/

What I am thinking about is an extension to the steering shaft piece that I will provide. The shaft, a six or seven inch length, looks like this:
1024 Shaft 2.jpg

I would also provide a sample broached ring for fit example.

The spline/serration profile can be follower from the shaft to the front piece which should do the broaching. The front attachment can be any length, but doesn't need to be more than several inches. A broach I had made was about ten inches in total. The splined attachment would need to be preceded by a smooth piece of the hole diameter to be broached and serve as the lead or alignment. The teeth can be ground so that they start removing less material, then more and more until the entire amount (concept of a broach).

My ideas, but I presumed you know better how to accomplish. I only need to use it on a few parts to get past my immediate need. I will be cutting 6061 T6 aluminum and the entire length of cut just 5/8".

Mike L. - woodrim

Hey, I am interested. What is your turn around time? Can you send a more detailed drawing to [email protected] See if I can help you out. Thanks, David "Rusty" Sampson, J.A.S. Machine Services,Damascus, AR

Back