What's new
What's new

Looking for a few good shops

Larry DaSchmoe

Plastic
Recently restarted a business that provides machined parts to a few major OEM's for their maintenance and tooling Depts.
These OEM's have several plants & are international.
Most are paying way to much from local machine shops, they know it but feel they've got no other choice.
My selling point to these companies is that I use smaller low overhead shops with a ton of experience.
I've found some guys on a (pay to quote.com scam website) and LinkedIn as well as referred to by others, that are really good and am searching here for the same.
Some larger shops have also been real good as they were already setup to do parts similar to what I needed.
As of now I'm working with about 6-8 shops & 3 OEM's(NDA's required for most).
Any of you guys need some work get me your contact information and we'll talk, I like to know who I'm working with.
If your not interested feel free to refer someone else.
Domestic only, by choice & corporate requirements in some cases.

Plastic
Mild Steel
Tool Steel
Carbide
Individual parts
Assemblies
Welded parts
Quantities
Prototype
Milling
Turning
Grinding

Last edited:
THey always think they pay too much. If you gave them a check and the part then they would want it faster. Thanks for racing to the bottom.

Yeah, nobody wins when your only goal is to beat the lowest bidder; next step down the ladder is China or India. The way to grow your
business--and help boost the economy in general--is to work with your customers and show them how you can add value to their products...

Yeah, nobody wins when your only goal is to beat the lowest bidder; next step down the ladder is China or India. The way to grow your
business--and help boost the economy in general--is to work with your customers and show them how you can add value to their products...

Not trying to beat their lowest bidder trying to beat the bidder that's been way too high for years.
Got some numbers from China, they got beat by a guy in Ohio and China didn't even have the shipping included.
The way to grow my business is with small efficient machine shops, been doing Tool & Die since 1980, I know a thing or 2.
My customers make cars & food containers, not much value I can add to their products.
But I may be able to reduce their operating costs and get some work for machine shops right here in the USA, why is this an issue?

It's an issue because you exist to siphon profit off the efforts of others. Congratulations, you're a parasite.
Damn, you are just friggin hostile, a PARASITE.
So way over charging is good in your book because somebody is getting screwed and that's OK?
So allow that to happen because they know/knew a guy on the inside that hooked him up with the purchasing guy 15 yrs ago(I've seen it)?
Yeah that's the right thing to do?
That's bullshit.
The shops that are doing this work that I get them are pretty good with that, I make a few bucks at it too, so I'm a parasite?
Go get your own work then, stay busy, and have a nice day.

Been in this trade for 37 years.
I've got raging arthritis, flat feet, a bad back, and few other maladies I won't bore you with.
I'd like to be concerned with your opinion but just can't quite get there nor will I try to.
Call me what you will, if it helps you in some way.
Just remembered there's parts I am sourcing that are currently made in China, Japan, and elsewhere not in the 48 adjacent states.
Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Been in this trade for 37 years.
I've got raging arthritis, flat feet, a bad back, and few other maladies I won't bore you with.
I'd like to be concerned with your opinion but just can't quite get there nor will I try to.
Call me what you will, if it helps you in some way.

And what does this mean? I've done it longer, and can trade "flesh is weak" with the best (worst?) of them.

Dude, you mentioned MFG.com as your touchstone, you joined this forum to promote your sca..., err, venture, what do you want us to do? Throw rose petals before your feet? Feed you peeled grapes?

Seriously, why do you think you offer something other than taking a cut of a shop's work and helping to drive down the income they'll receive for it? Reducing inefficiencies? The ultimate expression of that goal is one person making all the money.

No thanks.

MFG as a touchstone?
I happened to find a few good guys there. A problem? I don't see it, nor do they.
Also found some on LinkedIn too.
Does that makes me a criminal parasite?
May have found a few here as well, apparently another insect felony.
I see your point.
Take the blue pill and get some sleep.

Oh poop, I meant the purple pill!
You didn't take the blue one did you?
Cause if you mix the blue one with the green or yellow one it'll be the 70's all over again, I think.
From what I recall anyway.

This is fun, old guy told me long ago that arguing with a Tool Maker is like mud wraslin with a pig, eventually you figure out they really like it!

...So way over charging is good in your book because somebody is getting screwed and that's OK?

So who determines that the shops are overcharging? You? The customer? Pretty easy to see where that's gonna end up. Did it occur to you
that the shops doing the work now may actually be charging a fair price that actually allows them to make a fair profit. I can't think of many situations
where a larger company is held to ransom by a smaller supplier--doesn't usually happen. The best supplier/customer relationships are the ones where
both sides win.

And with regard to overcharging, if you take a cut off the top of every job isn't that an overcharge? If a supplier can do a job for X amount of dollars and
you add something isn't the customer paying more for the work than he should? I've never been fond of middle men in situations like this. If there is a
problem between me and my customer I want to be able to get on the phone and discuss the problem with them...

...if I take the blue pill, sleep is the last thing on my mind...

Yup, that there reply is gonna require me to clean my screen--near chucked my teeth out...:D:D

I don't understand all the nastiness directed at someone offering the possibility of work to members here, unless it was an illegal enterprise. On the other hand I would think outsourcing maintenance parts outside a plants locality doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless there are few local shops and they are slow to turn around items. Down time costs money also and if it is a part where a sample needs sent you just added two days and that is if you paid for pricey overnight shipping. Unless of course these companies keep a spare of everything and their maintenance part needs are just replacing back ups. I would think in most instances a company would save money locally in the long run even if a local shop was 50% higher priced compared to one 500 miles away. Unless of course the bean counter is just looking at the machine shop bill and nothing else.

As for the parasite comments, I see no problem with what the guy is doing. For those he sends work to it is the same effect as if they all chipped in and hired a commissioned outside salesman, what is wrong with that?

Fake name, I don't put my real name on anything, especially on the internet in a public forum, ever.
Want my real name PM me and we'll talk.
Paranoid? No, that's when you "think" their out to get you. My case I "know" their out to get me.
Asswipe remarks were not started by me.
And if anyone was triggered by my language as a micro-aggression and in need of a safe space based on my terminology I'd refer you to whoever started the name calling in the first place.
As for me I need some coco, a cookie, and my puppy in my safe space.
I think I know now what the micro-aggression term was, MFGQuote.com.
Tell you what I'll remove that part for you.

Fake name, I don't put my real name on anything, especially on the internet in a public forum, ever.
Want my real name PM me and we'll talk.
Paranoid? No, that's when you "think" their out to get you. My case I "know" their out to get me.
Asswipe remarks were not started by me.
And if anyone was triggered by my language as a micro-aggression and in need of a safe space based on my terminology I'd refer you to whoever started the name calling in the first place.
As for me I need some coco, a cookie, and my puppy in my safe space.
I think I know now what the micro-aggression term was, MFGQuote.com.
Tell you what I'll remove that part for you.

I hope your machining is better than your PR'ing.

Back