What's new
What's new

Looking for a Lathe shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagespecialized

Cast Iron
I am looking for a lathe shop in the Chatsworth Ca. area that can do small run quantities, manual or CNC.

If you would like to do business send me a PM an i'll get you my email address.

Thanks,

So i'm still looking for a lathe shop. I have a couple part numbers that need a lathe with enough travel to do a length of 25.50-26.0 inches. Qty is 14 and 16 pieces.

Manual or cnc is fine as long as we can keep nice finishes, 63 ish.

Pm me and I'll send out my email to those that can get it done.

Thanks,

it's kind of like the next guy here asking If I "got any drawings..."

three issues hit me...

one, they did not read the post I resurrected with new commentary.
two, they can't read.
three, they cannot comprehend what was written.

In either case I choose not to do business with those that can not follow the simple stuff. It's the reason I brought this thread back up to begin with...

Well since I technically have a lathe with over 24 FEET of center distance, I could theoretically handle 26".

I was asking for a drawing (or even verbal description of the part) to see if I could find out the diameter of the part and the features on it.
It may be 26" long, but it could be 50" across with a multiple start internal buttress thread in inconel now couldn't it? A drawing or description would have told all that.

And in a pyrophoric Zirconium alloy.... Beryllium....stellite ...balsa wood ...nitrile rubber .. borosilicate glass... tapioca pudding..

:)

Or carbon fiber?

I'm actually going to be doing a paying job in carbon fiber later this week, not looking forward too it.......:(

Simple, but nasty stuff, only quoted because the part is so simple, just 3 drilled holes.

With your attitude here, you should not bother posting a RFQ, nobody wants to machine parts for a dickhead, no matter how much they pay!

QUOTE=sagespecialized;2519162]it's kind of like the next guy here asking If I "got any drawings..."

three issues hit me...

two, they can't read.

In either case I choose not to do business with those that can not follow the simple stuff. It's the reason I brought this thread back up to begin with...[/QUOTE]

26" long x 3" dia., lathe
Tight tolerances in hardened steel, grinder

26" long x 1/4" dia. C.n.c. swiss

With your attitude here, you should not bother posting a RFQ, nobody wants to machine parts for a dickhead, no matter how much they pay!

Thank you! I will take that as a compliment.....

It goes like this, I have subbed this work to folks on here that have miserably failed. One of our own Matt's on this forum ran into the same issue subbing his parts. They looked like shit to us professionals but to the hobby guy he thought he was doing just great. When your a professional shop you want to work with those that are on the same professional level. I have to follow the instructions given to me from my buyers, so why can I not ask for the same when I sub my work?? If a Boeing buyer asks you to send in your quotes on pink stationary, then it is not my place to question or disregard there request if I want to work with them now is it.

I have no issue dealing with garage guys as I was one once, and I know everybody starting out needs a helping hand to create there own business model regardless of how big or small they want it to be.

The issues I see in this RFQ section stem from the employed guys that think they can use there company's equipment like it's there own. A flash in the pan job to make extra beer money if you will. There is no longevity or stability in dealing with those folks. What are you going to do when Johnny looses his job and your parts are stuck in someones shop, who has know idea they are even there cuz Johnny was doing them on the DL....

I choose to work with people who are like minded. Want to work hard and get shit done at a professional level. None of us can afford or have the time to waste on print collectors or dreamers....so call me a dickhead and I will wear that badge proud because I believe in something that the kids out there have forgotten or never learned and that is professional courtesy. My shop is AS9100 certified, there are 4 of us that work here, if being a dickhead and sourcing to the right people is what got us here then again I will wear the badge honorably. Professional people yield professional results.

Professional people yield professional results.

I can kind of understand your rational, may not agree with it, but what ever.

If the parts are with in size, finish requirements, and delivered on time, what does it matter that the person making them is a 'hobbyist"?
Just as much as if the parts were something I could do, and you paid, I wouldn't care that your internet manner sucks.

And I don't see how being a "professional" has anything to do with mind reading, because that's what you asking the person quoting to do.

Last edited:

three issues hit me...

two, they can't read.

In either case I choose not to do business with those that can not follow the simple stuff. It's the reason I brought this thread back up to begin with...

Then why aren't you dealing directly with shops in your area like most professional companies....ran out of those I suppose? I wonder why. Too expensive? Tired of your shit? Or just time after a year for another run of parts and searching for bottom feeders who's work you will claim is not good enough so you don't have to pay them?

JR

Then why aren't you dealing directly with shops in your area like most professional companies....ran out of those I suppose? I wonder why. Too expensive? Tired of your shit? Or just time after a year for another run of parts and searching for bottom feeders who's work you will claim is not good enough so you don't have to pay them?

JR

So to answer your questions, yes, I use several local shops. Some mom and pop size and others so big they would make your head swell. All of them are happy with me as I am with them.

Me too expensive..no not at all. If I have a target price I share it, if no target then we get to quote just like you do.

Tired of my shit...I don't think so. In fact I believe all of the folks I work with are quite happy. I pick up the parts and write a check. I'd say that is how a service orientated business should be run.

That time of year for more parts...yes it is, and the person who is awarded this work I'm sure would not like to be classified as a bottom feeder, and I can guarantee you one thing...they will get paid.

Well if we ever got a description (or a drawing), maybe someone (myself included) could quote it.

But "lathe parts that are 26" long" is pretty useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back