What's new
What's new

Machinist Networks - feedback needed

ctaylor

Plastic
Hello,

I have been working as a CNC machinist for about 8 months now, at a smaller shop. There seems to be an immense degree of struggle (amongst even larger shops with 40+ operators/machines) during the quote/contract process. I'm considering designing a site for shops + clients to sensibly, efficiently request quotes, build trust, and contract jobs on a single platform.

My two questions: Would this be something any of you would be interested in? Why, or why not?

Second, what major problems do you think a network like this would face?

Thanks for your time!

My two questions: Would this be something any of you would be interested in? Why, or why not? Second, what major problems do you think a network like this would face?

No. Always more trouble than it's worth, and no one has figured out how to code trust into a digital relationship. Holding money in escrow is one way of going about it, but that also has drawbacks.

Major problems include being lumped in w/MFG.com, easily THE example of what not to do with a platform in this space and how to destroy the reputation of your own company. MakeTime had a website where their goal was to sell excess machine capacity, but I don't hear anything from them anymore (worked with them 3+ years ago).

Summary: major problems in quoting and project management that shops face cannot be solved with an ecommerce network. Job shops are a terrible way to make money, and competing globally or nationally makes the prospect worse due to the nature of that business.

At least once a year we get someone saying they're setting up a website to do exactly what you're proposing. If you took the time to search through here, you'd find them. The basic problem is that what you seek to do almost always promotes a "race to the bottom", and the only one who'll potentially benefit is "you". You being whoever is proposing this at the moment.

With your depth of experience (eight months?) I'm surprised you haven't already figured this out...

Hello,

I have been working as a CNC machinist for about 8 months now, at a smaller shop. There seems to be an immense degree of struggle (amongst even larger shops with 40+ operators/machines) during the quote/contract process. I'm considering designing a site for shops + clients to sensibly, efficiently request quotes, build trust, and contract jobs on a single platform.

What do you think the struggle is during the quote/contract process?

What is your vision of an efficient quote request?

I think the other attempts have failed because they don't actually solve a need for the shops, yet they tried to get their money from the shops. Generally, in economic terms, an efficient market is more of a benefit to the buyer. Many of the sites tried to make it easier for buyers to find and compare sellers. This accrues benefits to the buyer more than the seller. The "platform" then tried to get the seller to pay for this increased competition that drove margins down.

Who do you expect to pay you for the site? What benefits are you going to provide such that it is profitable for your customers to pay you? Generally "We help you find more leads!" has been tried, and found wanting by the people paying for the service.

For me, if you're just offering a new sales channel that is full of competitors, and you expect me to pay for the privilege, whether I'm making money via your site or not, I would not join up. I see no value in that for me.

As been said. It's been done(and imo failed) with mfg.com and xometry.com. They both only really help the seller or the guy thats fine with making pennies on the dollar.

Now if you could come up with one of these services that doesn't rip off the manufacturer, then maybe(that's a big maybe) would I be willing to listen.

Back