What's new
What's new

Need Tubing Swaged

adh2000

Titanium
Need 4 pieces:
1.062" OD, 0.090 wall. I'll probably have to buy 1.125 with thicker wall and turn it down to 1.062. I can provide the material.

First 10" are straight, then it tapers down to 0.750 over the next 16". Uniform taper. Total length is 26".

Material is 4130 seamless steel tube.

Rotary swaging would be best, but tooling costs are a problem for only 4 pieces. Maybe someone has dies. Open to other manufacturing methods. I've considered turning from solid and step drilling the ID, but so far rejected that.

Need 4 pieces:
1.062" OD, 0.090 wall. I'll probably have to buy 1.125 with thicker wall and turn it down to 1.062. I can provide the material.

First 10" are straight, then it tapers down to 0.750 over the next 16". Uniform taper. Total length is 26".

Rotary swaging would be best, but tooling costs are a problem for only 4 pieces. Maybe someone has dies. Open to other manufacturing methods. I've considered turning from solid and step drilling the ID, but so far rejected that.

Yard sale. Kitchen Table legs. 1950's. Neat thing is they even come in fours.

Need 4 pieces:

What final wall thickness are you trying for in the smaller diameter? If you don't need it to be very thick (as for direct compression swaging), and you might need this capability again, make some sort of adjustable caged cam follower bearing assembly (three at 120 deg is best, but with care two at 180 is much easier to set up) and using power feed on a lathe rotate the stock slowly while closing down the bearings during the transition, then allow the lenght to run.

This method will require a number of passes, and will extrude the lenght of the smaller section, so it might not be ideal for you. Canting the cam follower bearings (CF for the heavy outer race) should help them smoothly "bite in" and squish the tubing.

Back