What's new
What's new

Pinewood derby Axles (stainless)

Shawn67

Plastic
I'm back, the other gentlemen got too busy. Anyone else interested?

-------------------------------------------------------

Looking for a small project to work on with someone that could grow. I'm starting to sell Pinewood derby parts and need some axles made. Made from Stainless and Very precise and very smooth. I've been racing pinewood derby cars for 4-5 years with my boys in cub Scouts and decided to start up my own website.

Please and Thanks
Shawn

Axles (like a nail)
made from Stainless Steel
size
length = 1 1/8"
Head = .191"
Diameter 1 = .091"
Diameter 2 = .093"
Head = slightly beveled and rounded

Yup what he said ^^^

How about the single parent boys, their mother can't be there creating
the "ultimate racing machine" for them

Do you think that is fair ?

in scouring you are supposed to use ONLY the kit as supplied or approved. Not doing so defeats the whole point.
http://tidewaterbsa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/2017-PWD-Rules.pdf

Gawd, I hope you are not doing what your post seems to indicate,because that would be the cutting edge of shitty.

Apologies if I am off base, and if I am please clarify.

One of the largest races in the US Mid America Pinewood Derby (we would like to call it Pinewood derby Nationals which I've been on the committee for the past 5 years.) We had over 500 cars sent in from all over the US. (I run the cameras and families from all over the U.S. can watch their cars run live) The Scout open class, kids and adult classes allows for upgraded wheels and axles. Not to mention the 300 plus Pro Cars that show up. And they run upgraded everything! lol
Last year a little birdie told me about one of the top builders makes over 120,000 a year. Well that builder asked me to stop racing because I was beating his cars. "I said sorry I have two boys still in scouts!) Then I thought maybe I should be selling! :)
So you wouldn't know how to make axles would you?

Note: FYI we had semi truck racing last year it was very cool!
Note2: We give out over 120 trophies!! Yes 120!!!! We almost spend every last dollar giving back to the kids!

Shawn

I remember back when I was in cub scouts, my family was poor as could be. But my dad always got me a derby car. Now that I'm all grown up and an eagle scout, my wife's best friends husband is a machinist and basically builds his kids cars with aerodynamics and lead weights. When he was showing me all this stuff, it was really neat how much he put into it, but his kid did nothing and I remember building my cars myself and even though I didn't always win, I did 1 year, my dad made me feel great by telling me that I did everything....

Personally, I can't stand that people spend money and basically build their kids cars when this was supposed to be a "team" building exercise where everyone has the same parts. I have no problem with polishing up the axles and using some woodworking tools as long as the kid does 97% of the work.

That also leads me to the fact that schools are getting rid of trades in schools, and parents just do everything for their kids.... Well how are the young people supposed to figure out what they want to do in life in your doing everything for them.

Why don't parents just buy the badges from the scout office... You can already get rock climbing merit badge while inside of a school class room... I mean let's just take everything away from the next generation....

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I remember back when I was in cub scouts, my family was poor as could be. But my dad always got me a derby car. Now that I'm all grown up and an eagle scout, my wife's best friends husband is a machinist and basically builds his kid's cars with aerodynamics and lead weights. When he was showing me all this stuff, it was really neat how much he put into it, but his kid did nothing and I remember building my cars myself and even though I didn't always win, I did 1 year, my dad made me feel great by telling me that I did everything....

Personally, I can't stand that people spend money and basically build their kids cars when this was supposed to be a "team" building exercise where everyone has the same parts. I have no problem with polishing up the axles and using some woodworking tools as long as the kid does 97% of the work.

That also leads me to the fact that schools are getting rid of trades in schools, and parents just do everything for their kids.... Well, how are the young people supposed to figure out what they want to do in life in your doing everything for them.

Why don't parents just buy the badges from the scout office... You can already get rock climbing merit badge while inside of a school class room... I mean let's just take everything away from the next generation....

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I agree 100%. My boy is in Arrow of Light now and we have done the PWD every year. In are pack and district the only thing allowed is polishing the wheels and axles. What the OP is trying to do by lightening/reshaping wheels and custom axle is strickly forbidden and called cheating. What a great thing to teach your boys!

Anyways I think the OP has a false illusion of getting rich off Pine Wood Derby Car part judging by is comments. I hope he takes his crap to another forum.

Rule have to be set and posted ..It is nor fair if some cars have expensive after market stuff and others don't. ..cheating the boys and girls is not fair..
Original kit parts only in the Children's class.
or
Any thing and every thing goes.
or
unlimited adult class cars.

Weight must be xx.

Whoopi a 30 year old engineer beat the pants off a 10 year old kid..how fun is that...

leave it to adults to screw something as decent as the PWD.
even if it's "legal" the effect is basically a class system where the poor kid that is otherwise happy and doesn't know they are poor will soon realize just HOW poor they are.

leave it to adults to screw something as decent as the PWD.
even if it's "legal" the effect is basically a class system where the poor kid that is otherwise happy and doesn't know they are poor will soon realize just HOW poor they are.

"Adult" ?

Using a HF lathe and posting about it here ?

Can't even read the posting guidelines.

I wonder if the OP has ever heard these words spoken towards them:
"Doesn't color within the lines"
"Doesn't play well with others"
"Doesn't play fair/follow the rules"

Last edited:
Still remember my PWD days- as I recall the rules stipulated no oil on the axle/wheel. Remember watching a dad oil wheels and when reminded of the rules, took a rag and "wiped" the oil off. Even at 10 years old I still remember my reaction to the scout master thinking that was ok. yea, adults mess up all kinds of things for their kids.

and it isn't worth the effort to make the damn things in the first place.
wouldn't even think about it for less then $5k

Most of that is already being made..My son in law made a car with all the special stuff.. he beat every other car's time..but He said it was such and did not race against the kids but just against the clock..yes aluminum track with electronic timer..

Special stuff..one source..
4 Bad Request

In years of working with Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, I always found the boys engaged and happy. The parents were the only problems we encountered. Regards, Clark

Back