What's new
What's new

Related to : RFQ: prototype 3d print parts needed, St Louis area

JST

Diamond
Still looking for a company to print elastomer parts

one likely 30-40 Shore A

One a bit harder, exact numbers negotiable depending on what is possible. It needs to seal against a narrow surface with relatively little pressure, but be stiff enough to hold shape. I have actual rubber parts like it that work, for comparison (they are a different size, so not useful for the project).

We use a material in our 3D printer called NinjaFlex. It is a TPU about 85A durometer. The parts are flexible but not necessarily "elastomeric". You may want to check with places like StratsysDirect or other prototyping houses for something more specific.

85A is pretty stiff stuff. Somewhat harder than a shoe heel, but not as hard as a caster wheel.

The application for the 30A material requires it to bulge outward and form a seal when screws are tightened down to compress it.

Another part needs to be stiff enough to hold form, but soft enough to form a good seal against a rounded edge when required to under light pressure.

I mentioned "elastomer", because actual rubber, such as Buna-N, while it would be suitable, is thermoset, and cannot be done with a 3D printer.

Stratasys makes some materials in the 30A range. If you don't find anyone, I know Stratasys has their StratasysDirect service that will do printing. My local Stratasys reseller, which is now Trimech, also does prototype 3D printing.

If the application allows you may be able to 3D print a master then make a silicon mold and use that to cast a part with the correct durometer rubber. Something like this doesn't take too long.

Really, I could just machine a blank, and use that to make a mold, But I actually would prefer to get the part made, and I am told that that durometer CAN be 3D printed.

The available casting materials are not unlimited either...... not every durometer is possible with casting material, and I do not want to get into making rubber parts.

So I did find a maker of a TPE printer filament that is supposed to be 40A. I dont think you can get any softer than that.

Back