What's new
What's new

Reversed (outer) chamfer tool

clarnibass

Aluminum
Hi

I'm looking for someone who can make a specific reversed chamfer tool. Preferably HSS, but any type of tool steel (hardened) might be ok. I'm open to any suggestions from whoever makes it about the material or the tool. The tool will be used after a drilled or reamed hole.

I'm attaching a rough sketch of the tool, a sketch and photo of the result of using the tool and a tool that is a little similar, just without the angle (countersink tool).

At least six flutes/teeth, preferably more (exact number of teeth doesn't really matter).
Chamfer angle 20 degrees or 140 degrees as marked in sketch.
The example of the countersink tool shows a small 20 degrees relief angle, a shallower angle (about 45 degrees) for the rest and then a very small relief. Some or all of this may be unnecessary.

The top is 3/8" as it will be held by a 3/8" end mill holder or ER collet.
For the outside diameter at the cutting end, the first one I need is likely 10.80mm and I will probably need several at different diameters (between 8mm and 20mm). I'm still checking exact diameters.
Through hole or threaded hole is not determined yet, likely threaded for part of its length.
Some of the details might depend on price difference of different features.

I'm in Israel but I can pay with PayPal and I have an address in the USA to shop to if absolutely necessary.

Email [email protected]

Thank you!

Attachments

• tone_hole_cutter_01.jpg
    tone_hole_cutter_01.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 326
  • tone_hole_cutter_02.jpg
    tone_hole_cutter_02.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 212
  • tone_hole_cutter_03.jpg
    tone_hole_cutter_03.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 212
  • cut_example.JPG
    cut_example.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 180
  • New Doc 2017-03-16_1.jpg
    New Doc 2017-03-16_1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 190
Did you check the Severance Tool catalog?

They would likely have the closest to what you want.

I would start there and see if they have something that would work for you, and if not - I bet they could modify one or make a slightly different one for you.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Thanks, yes I did when someone here suggested them. They don't have the exact tool. I emailed them and didn't receive a reply.

You will probably have to give them a phone call. I'm batting about 0.12 for getting replies to website contact forms. Ask as straight-forward, clearly phrased question about a product, and get ... nothing.

Thanks. For something like this I rather use email, not only because it's much clearer with a sketch than describing the tool, there's also the time zone difference, and my English is light years better in writing than when speaking :)
I emailed again, I'll see what happens...

Even if there's no one here who can do it, I'd appreciate suggestions for more companies I can contact. % of ones I was able to get anywhere with is extremely small...

We've used Austin Tool & Grinding (in Pflugerville, TX) for custom cutters before - first started with a custom carbide tool for some modifications to prototype molds for a medical startup, and have used them since then for day-to-day sharpening. They are really nice to work with, and have some pretty amazing CNC tool grinders. Pretty laid back atmosphere.

http://www.austintoolandgrinding.com/

They have a phone number and an email. I always have called them, so am not sure of the success rates of emails - may be great, may be hit and miss. If they don't respond via email, one initial call to direct them to the email would probably open up communication.

Back