What's new
What's new

RFQ Brokers

ShoreMachining

Plastic
Good afternoon,

I've had the opportunity to buy my first machine and try to start my own little shop. I've been trying to find some stead work but no luck. I've called
around to my local machine shops and gave them my information to try to maybe get some overflow or jobs they can't or won't do. No luck there either. So my question is does anyone have broker or RFQ websites that you can bid on work.

I have a VF-3 Haas Mill with 5 axis table, and CAD/CAM software to program.

Thanks for your time!

You've listed your occupation as "Engineer"....so be a wee bit more "detail oriented" here with your posting.

What kind of work have you done in the past ?

Materials, tolerances, process's, etc.

Your shop has what capabilities ? over head crane of what size ?

Pa is a big, big state, narrow down your location.

This topic has been beaten to death here, use the search function.

Currently my full time job is a programmer. I program medical implants, Knees, Shoulders, Hips, Spine Etc.

Materials are Titanium, stainless, Poly, radel, acetal,

Shop size is only one VF-3 Haas no overhead crane.

Shop is just south of Pittsburgh.

I have a 5 axis trunnion. I have standard inspection equipment, Calipers, Micrometers, Etc..

Good afternoon,

I've had the opportunity to buy my first machine and try to start my own little shop. I've been trying to find some stead work but no luck. I've called
around to my local machine shops and gave them my information to try to maybe get some overflow or jobs they can't or won't do. No luck there either. So my question is does anyone have broker or RFQ websites that you can bid on work.

I have a VF-3 Haas Mill with 5 axis table, and CAD/CAM software to program.

Thanks for your time!

It can take a long time to get going, I hope you did not quit your day job!

Currently my full time job is a programmer. I program medical implants, Knees, Shoulders, Hips, Spine Etc.

Materials are Titanium, stainless, Poly, radel, acetal,

Shop size is only one VF-3 Haas no overhead crane.

Shop is just south of Pittsburgh.

I have a 5 axis trunnion. I have standard inspection equipment, Calipers, Micrometers, Etc..

So I had inquire to get your answers ?

Pretty poor way to start a shop.

It's rough getting started on the wrong foot ...

MakeTime - post machine time, get jobs sent to you. They handle logistics. Fairly new, so don't expect to get flooded with work. They just recently sent out a request for ITAR and ISO certified shops.

MFG.com - pretty expensive, some people love it and have made high profits from jobs from them, some people have basically got nothing for their investment. Seems to be correlated with what industry you're in and your methodology in searching for and bidding jobs.

SAP Ariba - no experience with it. More of an integrated cloud procurement product for large companies, but seems to have a network of suppliers component? Bears looking into, but there seem to be an awful lot of suppliers on some sites who feel like all the negatives falls on their backs.

Hope this helps!

Xometry.

I see a ton of work come across my board there but they're always lead times I can't hit because I'm busy with other customers.

I use them for fill in here and there. Occasionally the right job comes along and I'll take it. It's a legit operation and they pay on time.

If you had an open machine and were on the ball with getting things set up and run out you could make enough to support a machine payment very easily.

The margins are thin though so you'd need to be good to make decent money.

I feel for you. I have the same issue ( different area though ). I have a couple of customers but expanding my base is incredibly frustrating. I have looked at some of the sites mentioned above but it appears as if a one man shop is out of luck. I have no certifications, cant get ISO etc ( from what I understand the guy that ran the part cant inspect it etc ) Seems like your ability to do very complex work would be an asset though. Best of luck to you.

Back