What's new
What's new

RFQ: Centreless Grinding, UK

Ishtar

Plastic
Hi all

I have about 1000x 30mm length plastic tubes with varying ODs and eccentricities of 7.00 - 7.15 mm that I need ground to 7.00 -0.1mm.

I'm happy to pitch in with the work (based in south east England) if it helps bring the cost down at all.

Thanks

I know your in the UK, but if I want centerless grinding I either look in the yellow pages or online. not trying to be a ****. I needed a quote a few days ago for some shafts, from getting an RFQ, to sourcing the mat'l, and then the centerless grinding was 15-20 minutes.

I know your in the UK, but if I want centerless grinding I either look in the yellow pages or online. not trying to be a ****. I needed a quote a few days ago for some shafts, from getting an RFQ, to sourcing the mat'l, and then the centerless grinding was 15-20 minutes.

Thanks

I did have a google and sent out some RFQs by email and got a quote by phone. I thought the forum would be a good place to post too. The only outfits that could give me a quote so far were big commercial companies - and I feel their quotes reflected that.

If more of us posted over follow here, it would be helpful for us all. Many different people in different locations on here. That is specialized equipment that not every shop has.

I might be able to do them but I am up in the midlands ,however I would be a bit concerned about how easy it would be to centreless grind plastic ,what sort of plastic is it and I am also a bit confused about the tolerances

Oh and by the way ,to the poster above you won't find me with google or the yellow pages.

Would it not be more cost effective to find a source of precision finished tube and just slice them off ?

I couldn't find any finished tube, that was my first and favourite option.

Thanks for the offer Sable, but I would like to find someone local. It's Nylon (which I know can be happily centreless ground), I can probably better describe the tolerance as 6.95 +/-0.05mm but realistically anywhere between 6.90-7.00 would be fine erring towards 7.00mm; which is why I described it as I did.

I'll make some phone calls next week, it looks like there are some more around me that I haven't spoken to yet.

OK it's only 30 mm long. Get some precision nylon rod and drill them out whatever bore that you need in a lathe holding in a collet.

Back