What's new
What's new

RFQ CNC Turret Tooling Block

2kjettaguy

Cast Iron
I had a crash recently and tweaked one of my boring bar holders. My machine is a bit of an oddball so I'm looking to see if I can have this made domestically instead of waiting 5 weeks for a replacement.

The block is cast steel, roughly 4.125" wide. 3.5" long and 3.125" tall. The bolt pattern is 76mm x 36mm. The ID is 1.5". All hardware is metric. I would like this to be made in plain steel. I want a direct replacement (with the exception of the radius on the back. That can just be angled over) The tolerances need to be tight in the right places - keyway width and location - tool bore diameter and location.

I've included a few pictures below. Instead of drawing this part I figured I could just send it to you. I would like 1, but if the price is right I would take 2 right now. It would be nice to have a source for these later down the road just in case.

Please email [email protected] with any questions or quote

IMG_6999.jpg IMG_7001.jpg IMG_7002.jpg IMG_7003.jpg IMG_7004.jpg

Does this look like it would fit your machine ?
e78ad28e9b25de63d88b3687a0016412.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a crash recently and tweaked one of my boring bar holders. My machine is a bit of an oddball so I'm looking to see if I can have this made domestically instead of waiting 5 weeks for a replacement.
What is the actual make and model of the machine? "Oddball" gives us no clue to the machine as far as sourcing potential replacements via the board or ebay.

What is the actual make and model of the machine?

Machine is a 2003 Mighty Viper VT-20 with a 12 position turret. The actual Turret is a Global Sun / GSA CLT-160-12T

GSA TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.

I have a domestic supplier who can make it for $400 in 5 weeks. I was hoping for the sake of contributing to the PM economy that I could pass the job along to someone here who needed work. That was my intention anyways.

I found them on the auction after you posted , it was few days ago, i just checked the listing is no longer there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happened that makes you believe the toolholder is damaged (or how did you check it)?

Can your existing holder perhaps be bored for a steel sleeve and finish machined in position in your lathe?

What happened that makes you believe the toolholder is damaged (or how did you check it)? Can your existing holder perhaps be bored for a steel sleeve and finish machined in position in your lathe?

Machine was crashed. Operator loaded a new blank (6" Round 3" Long Aluminum Slug) during an Op Stop meant to clear chips. A 1" boring bar was driven in a rapid movement into the blank at 2500rpm. The boring bar was visibly bent. The turret was knocked out radially. The tooling block itself twisted. If you look at the third picture you will see the top right lip of the block is bent outwards. What you can't see is that the holder twisted on the alignment key and opened up the slot. The holder will no longer sit straight.

To fix this I had to sweep the turret face on the X axis (it was OK), then figure out how to align it radially. Then I had to adjust the parameters for the tool setter on the X axis and run test cuts to dial it in, and also make minor adjustments to the X work shift. I think I can personally use this toolholder without issue, but I feel that if the alignment goes out during a run the parts wont get measured by my staff and subsequently waste time and material.

I found them on the auction after you posted , it was few days ago, i just checked the listing is no longer there.

I appreciate you looking for me. I saw your post in a notification and then the forums broke so I couldn't get back to your post to figure out where you found them. That would have been a decent buy!

What you can't see is that the holder twisted on the alignment key and opened up the slot. The holder will no longer sit straight.

have you thought about machining out the slot area, attaching in a piece of steel, and then remachining the slot to the correct width?

Back