What's new
What's new

RFQ knurling preferably Houston area

ropegun2k

Plastic
Looking to have a piece of 1” pipe (1.34” OD) standard schedule knurled full length.

Prefer 70” worth on one piece, but I can make two 35” pieces work.

Thanks in advance.

Does this have to look nice ?

Standard pipe is kind of gummy and hard to make look good.

I don’t know kneeling specs or patterns. Something along what you would find on a barbell.

Looking to have a piece of 1” pipe (1.34” OD) standard schedule knurled full length.

Prefer 70” worth on one piece, but I can make two 35” pieces work.

Thanks in advance.

No bids nearly in the budget range. Thanks for the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might save effort if you just state the budget.

years ago some lunkhead engineer wanted me to quote a machine. Came in over $20k. His budget was around $3k. The gearmotor was $2k. He new the price on the motor as he had given me the specs from grainger. If he said he only had 3k would have saved some time.

I do lost's of knurling, very nice, sharp, crisp knurling.

I already advised you that your material selection would make it hard to obtain
acceptable knurling.

You know nothing of machining, and I try to advise you (for free I might add)
and you call me a "troll" ?

Go some where else.

I do lost's of knurling, very nice, sharp, crisp knurling.

I already advised you that your material selection would make it hard to obtain
acceptable knurling.

You know nothing of machining, and I try to advise you (for free I might add)
and you call me a "troll" ?

Go some where else.

You did advise me that standard pipe is hard to knurl. But your comment about “time for chine” contributed absolutely nothing but lead to de-railing the thread.

But to assume that I know nothing about machining is wrong. Spent more than enough time in machine shops in Houston for that statement to be invalid. Most of my experience has been around CNC machines making subsea components, very few actual lathes doing anything basic. But I’ll admit I am not a machinist, it was never engaging enough for me.

I could very well be mistaken. But I imagine that to knurl a longer piece of pipe could be made much easier by running a piece of round bar on the inside to make it a little more stable.

While I am new to this forum and I’ll admit that I am not a machinist, that doesn’t make me ignorant. But even if I was, I still have the decency to not get involved in something if I have nothing to contribute (as a whole or in an individual comment)

Mebfab’s comment is a good example of how to suggest trying something else.

Not that you asked nor care, but I am probably going to splice weld 3 of the pieces in the eBay link for much cheaper than what I had quoted.

That would be called a butt weld, splicing is soldering. Are soldering these pipes together? I've heard many people who don't know what they're talking about refer to soldering as welding. What form of welding are you going to use or have someone else use if your not soldering? IMHO welding them will probably look like crap, especially if you don't have much experience or any experience. Maybe looking like shit is fine, I don't nor does probably anyone on here know what the knurled pipe is for. Another thing is concentricity, I doubt you will be able to keep this pipe straight and concentric, but again maybe a bowed out, multi angle clobbed together pipe will fit your application well. I don't know, just trying to help.

A long lathe (should be common place anywhere that any kind of well drilling is done, oil or water examples) and a scissor type knurling tool that does not use tool post pressure against the work would do this task easily and stupid cheap ( relatively speaking) as setup is simply placing in the lathe and engaging power feed and going about other work for the long period of time it will take for the lathe to do its job.

Material selection is critical part as what does it need to do when finished and what does it need to look like.

This is a simple operation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Some idea of budget or application would likely get you some more meaningful responses. Knowing the application will help to determine the type of knurling and how “perfect” it may or may not need to be, which can greatly affect the cost.

That would be called a butt weld, splicing is soldering. Are soldering these pipes together? I've heard many people who don't know what they're talking about refer to soldering as welding. What form of welding are you going to use or have someone else use if your not soldering? IMHO welding them will probably look like crap, especially if you don't have much experience or any experience. Maybe looking like shit is fine, I don't nor does probably anyone on here know what the knurled pipe is for. Another thing is concentricity, I doubt you will be able to keep this pipe straight and concentric, but again maybe a bowed out, multi angle clobbed together pipe will fit your application well. I don't know, just trying to help.

You are trying to correct me on my industry. I’m a welder/inspector. Just inspector these days.

Splicing refers to joining 2 into 1. A butt weld refers to butting 2 pieces directly together and welding them, which actually would apply in this case. But there are also other type of joints.

I planned on running tig (gtaw) with a full penetration weld, I could probably get by with about a 20 degree bevel leaving a very narrow cap flush with the surface. You could see it but it would only be ~1/4” wide. I’m typically lazy and looking for faster production, so normally I’d go for the short arc setup (gmaw with co2 as shielding), but I wouldn’t want any potential for spatter.

I received another quote for 110$ for a 70” piece shipped. I no longer need to splice weld it. If it looks like shit I’ll post pictures for y’all to laugh at and point out where I went wrong.

For future reference I’m an AWS CWI & CRI, API 510/570/653. I also hold asnt level 3 certs in MT PT UT and RT. This won’t mean anything who is not into welding or plants, so in other words: If you have welding, code, procedure, or Ndt questions I’m the guy that you pay to ask. But advice is free here.

Back