What's new
What's new

RFQ: Looking for Press Brake Whiz to Bend Copper Bars, 60-150 pcs.

Impractical

Aluminum
I'm looking for somebody who can accurately bend .25" x 1.5" copper. These pieces have two 90 degree bends to make a "Z" shape. However, the 90 degree bends are not perpendicular to the edge of the material. This makes the ends of the "Z" parallel, but offset front-back and side-side. In other words, the copper bar will go in the brake at an angle prior to bending the first 90, then flipped over and bent at the reflected angle for the second 90.

I don't have a proper press brake, so I did the last ones on an old unihydro ironworker. I built 5 sets of these for the last order (see photo). Now my customer has placed an order for 10 more units, and I don't really want to do more of these in a worn out ironworker. After these 10 units, it's likely we'll get another order for 10-15 more, so I'll either order 10 sets (60 pcs.), or depending on price, I might go ahead and order 25 sets (150 pcs.).

I'll either apply the insulation myself, or sub that out.... I just need the copper part unless you can do the insulation too.

These are modeled in SolidWorks. I can provide the solidworks part files for dimensions (or step, iges, etc.). Bending metal is not my area of expertise, so I'd probably want to discuss tolerances to come up with something that's reasonable to manufacture. I'm thinking +/- 1/16" would be close enough.

The material is .25" x 1.50" rounded edge silver plated C11000 ETP copper. I can provide contact info for the two vendors I use, or possibly supply the material. This is the material...
Copper - thyssenkrupp Materials NA

Please PM me if you'd like to discuss this further. Thank you!
Bus.jpgIMG_1078.jpg

Thank you to everyone who replied via private message. This forum is a great resource! A fellow practicalmachinist member is making these.

Back