What's new
What's new

RFQ- PVC Collars

Pat G

Hot Rolled
I need PVC collars turned and drilled with a 1/2-13 tapped hole as shown, but a smooth nice finish on the OD and ID.

I will be ordering these on a continual basis, and anticipate large numbers in the near future. Possibly in the thousands.

I have a .pdf file spec sheet I can send.

This was turned out of 1 5/8" OD round grey PVC stock, and that stock can be used, and turned down just enough to make a nice finish on the OD.

Aproxx 1.175" long. ID .978". Forgot to mention generous tolerances +/- .005"

I need 250 to start, shipped USPS Priority Flat Rate.

Please send a PM with email and your info.

Thanks much,

Pat

JustColler1.jpg

JustColler2.jpg

Pat your inbox is full so I cant private message you the price. Please email me at [email protected]

That is usually because you are the 128th guy who quoted the job. Anybody with a $500 beater lathe and a HF drill press can do this job, it will probably go for material costs and a couple pizzas.

That is usually because you are the 128th guy who quoted the job. Anybody with a $500 beater lathe and a HF drill press can do this job, it will probably go for material costs and a couple pizzas.

LOL, Probably true, but ya never know if you don't try.

LOL, Probably true, but ya never know if you don't try.

With this online quoting business I have learned to pick my battles. I have no problem with the guy with the $500 lathe and HF drill press, but if he can make this part everybody can. That usually leads to it going cheap. Also all the PVC I have run across is either out of round, tapered, has low spots or all of the above, that will cause issues if you try to haul ass feeding it. On the other hand if everyone had my attitude a guy could snag the job and make good money cause there would be no competition.

That is true in the fact I have been spammed with so many quotes… lol

Surprising thing is what I've been quoted… Prices as high as $10.95 each!!!

And the lowest a over $2.50 plus shipping. I had one gentleman want to discuss my collar at length and as to why his quote was at $5.95/ seriously, I don't have time to talk about a PVC collar with a tapped hole at length.

I regret to say that I'm not accepting any more bids and will machine these myself as the bids are just to high. I try to outsource, and get out of the shop but unless I would have to go off shore, I will stay in house with these.

I appreciate all the bid effort. Really I do.

Thanks much,

Pat

Naw....upgrade to a "Smithy" and just stop the spindle, pull down the drill press with a "Drap" for the tapped hole, and you'll be really makin' it .....:crazy:

Prices as high as $10.95 each!!!

And the lowest a over $2.50 plus shipping.

Pat

At $2.50 some body can still make $30-$40 an hour with the right set-up, even if they bought the plastic online, I figured someone with a plastic supply house close by would have beaten that price. As for the $10.95 guy, WTF. He must price out all his machines at the same rate. He will eventually learn one of 2 things, you can't bid simple parts at $175 an hour like they are complex 5 axis mill parts made out of titanium that go on mars rockets, or if you have an astronomical minimum shop rate don't bid simple parts.

I have a variable shop rate myself, if a part needs extreme baby sitting and eats tooling like candy it is going to have a much higher hourly run rate than something I can load a 12 foot bar in then leave to watch a ball game at a sports bar, come back and find nothing but good parts in the parts basket 4 hours later. As for that variable shop rate on the posted part I took one glance and figured some guy starting out will do that job for $20 an hour plus materials and I am not willing to do that. Either no one went that low or $20 an hour guy can't figure out how to make those parts in three minutes or less.

What's shocking to me is I had many quotes over $6.00.

I'm a machinist, well pretty much. Been manufacturing my own parts for 8 years. I own a CNC shop. I know what costs are, and what's involved. When I have other mfg.'s try to close me on a $6.00 plus for this part I just shake my head.

Then- several companies would not quote unless I had cad in their format. Sorry, but I don't use CAD. If you turn down work because the customer hands you a bone simple part without your CAD file you have issues. I fully understand not wanting to do the part for what ever reasoning, but turn down a job because of a file? Really? That's a WTF in my mind.

It's like a guy with a nice new HAAS machine locally, that wanted me to pay for his tooling costs to run one of my parts on his new machine. Totally open ended. Not the same part here. Why not just drop off my CC card with my order?

Don't get it. Is there a part manufacturing world bubble that I don't live in? …lol

And this is what I come here for: a thread that wraps up with the statement "upgrade to a Smithy".

Although it would be fun to see if a 'co-working' robot could run a Smithy to make these things lights-out. Handling the chuck would be interesting, though. Wonder if a robot could just grab the work while running to act as a steady rest...

Chip

What's shocking to me is I had many quotes over $6.00.

I'm a machinist, well pretty much. Been manufacturing my own parts for 8 years. I own a CNC shop. I know what costs are, and what's involved. When I have other mfg.'s try to close me on a $6.00 plus for this part I just shake my head.

Don't get it. Is there a part manufacturing world bubble that I don't live in? …lol

Any other plastic than PVC if the material costs were the same I would have been at $2.60 plus shipping. Now that makes me think maybe I should start quoting jobs like this. The wide range of quotes is interesting but I think many of the higher guys aren't trying to make $100 an hour running simple plastic parts. Some of them through lack of experimentation may not know how fast you can rip through many plastics and still make nice parts. A lot of materials you can machine faster than it says in the book, if you don't try you won't know. Also maybe a lot of people quoting don't own the shop and want to always be the hero so they want to quote a 5 minute cycle time and then make it in 3 minutes, instead of risking that being flipped.

Yaw this material likes being ripped through real fast.

I think I may have a huge market for this part. I may just pick up a used HAAS. I need a 2" spindle bore for a larger diameter version. All my Hardinges are to small, even for this one.

This part will be fun cause all my other lathe stuff is +/- .0005".

At $2.50 some body can still make $30-$40 an hour with the right set-up, even if they bought the plastic online, I figured someone with a plastic supply house close by would have beaten that price. As for the $10.95 guy, WTF. He must price out all his machines at the same rate. He will eventually learn one of 2 things, you can't bid simple parts at $175 an hour like they are complex 5 axis mill parts made out of titanium that go on mars rockets, or if you have an astronomical minimum shop rate don't bid simple parts.

I have a variable shop rate myself, if a part needs extreme baby sitting and eats tooling like candy it is going to have a much higher hourly run rate than something I can load a 12 foot bar in then leave to watch a ball game at a sports bar, come back and find nothing but good parts in the parts basket 4 hours later. As for that variable shop rate on the posted part I took one glance and figured some guy starting out will do that job for $20 an hour plus materials and I am not willing to do that. Either no one went that low or $20 an hour guy can't figure out how to make those parts in three minutes or less.

I agree this is a part I would throw a 12' bar in my bar feeder and go run another machine in my shop I don't have time to run these parts but if I did I would quote it under $2.00 part just to fill time on my lathe so it didn't sit idle

I think I may have a huge market for this part. I may just pick up a used HAAS. I need a 2" spindle bore for a larger diameter version. All my Hardinges are to small, even for this one.
If this part stays dead simple, I would not bother with the expense of a HAAS.
I would buy a brownie or other similar automatic (at pretty low prices these days) and tool it
up, I'll bet Camscam or others in that field could have them coming off faster than the Haas.

And if you pick up a cheap machine, you could basterdize it a bit and add a drill head to do the cross
drilled and tapped on the machine to "drop off complete" minus the back chamfer inside the bore.

Would have been nice if the spammers and unreal quoters wouldn't have filled the mailbox. Probably would've had a good chance on this one, but it is what it is. Maybe next time

Your statement of "And the lowest a over $2.50 plus shipping" is a false statement.
You had a quote for under $2.50/part. Not much lower, but still lower.

While I guess that was you. I don't understand the point of your statement. Since the guy got a zillion quotes it could have been an over sight or misspeak. No need to call the guy out on it, it serves no purpose.

Back